Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by mxr300ex View Post
I'm running the Castle 3800 in my SCTE now, I just ordered the Tenshock 4000kv to try out. Is it really noticeably faster than the Castle?
From what ive seen at my local track, Yes.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm thinking about getting a 4wd SC truck to run as a 2nd class, just wondering what these Losi's are like?

Are they durable, long wearing, tough driveline, good plastics?

Most of my attention will be going towards my 2wd buggy, just looking at a 4wd SC for pure fun, so I won't be stocking up heaps on parts and not really looking to upgrade parts out of the box or keep having to replace parts regularly.
I would be powering it with the Tenshock 4000kv and SC8 ESC if I do go ahead and get one.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I'm running the Castle 3800 in my SCTE now, I just ordered the Tenshock 4000kv to try out. Is it really noticeably faster than the Castle?
It has a smaller rotor, but it's a larger can that weighs more.. it's a 550. I've tried the 4600 myself, the only way the 4600 or the 4000 are faster is if you don't adjust gearing according to final speed desired.. they are different Kv ratings so you need to adjust them. The 4600 gets way hotter doing the same job as the castle 3800, most likely due to design and rotor differences.. as other said the slightly smaller rotor or different winds in the tenshock allow less resistance, this is also what gives the castle the 'rear' that it has. The 4000 will be much more like the castle 3800, for gearing and all.. temp wise I would expect similar results.. slightly in favor of the 3800 if the 4000 is the same design as the 4600. At max temp, i know the 4600 isn't faster and I'd guess the 4000 is the same.. at best same speeds. I guarantee you won't be .00001 seconds faster on a track by switching these two motors. You do add a few grams of weight though moving to the tenshocks. Don't get me wrong the tenshock is fine and will do the job, but the lovers out there will give it more credit than due.. I remember early on everyone was touting the 4600, now every has wised up as the motor gets too hot unless geared way down. Basically I guess all I'm saying.. if you expect a faster motor racing, think again.. if you would like slightly less motor drag.. that maybe the case and you can keep pretty similar top speeds. Keep in mind I only tested 1 motor... as anything, there are tollerances.

PS if you want to smooth out some motor drag on a rx8 just dial in some push, if you have other esc's w/o this feature.. just before your race starts dial in a little forward on the throttle end point so the truck is almost rolling. I wouldn't leave it sitting all day like this as you will heat up electronics and maybe cause damage if left sitting long enough but for use during racing you won't have any issue at all.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
It has a smaller rotor, but it's a larger can that weighs more.. it's a 550. I've tried the 4600 myself, the only way the 4600 or the 4000 are faster is if you don't adjust gearing according to final speed desired.. they are different Kv ratings so you need to adjust them. The 4600 gets way hotter doing the same job as the castle 3800, most likely due to design and rotor differences.. as other said the slightly smaller rotor or different winds in the tenshock allow less resistance, this is also what gives the castle the 'rear' that it has. The 4000 will be much more like the castle 3800, for gearing and all.. temp wise I would expect similar results.. slightly in favor of the 3800 if the 4000 is the same design as the 4600. At max temp, i know the 4600 isn't faster and I'd guess the 4000 is the same.. at best same speeds. I guarantee you won't be .00001 seconds faster on a track by switching these two motors. You do add a few grams of weight though moving to the tenshocks. Don't get me wrong the tenshock is fine and will do the job, but the lovers out there will give it more credit than due.. I remember early on everyone was touting the 4600, now every has wised up as the motor gets too hot unless geared way down. Basically I guess all I'm saying.. if you expect a faster motor racing, think again.. if you would like slightly less motor drag.. that maybe the case and you can keep pretty similar top speeds. Keep in mind I only tested 1 motor... as anything, there are tollerances.

PS if you want to smooth out some motor drag on a rx8 just dial in some push, if you have other esc's w/o this feature.. just before your race starts dial in a little forward on the throttle end point so the truck is almost rolling. I wouldn't leave it sitting all day like this as you will heat up electronics and maybe cause damage if left sitting long enough but for use during racing you won't have any issue at all.
Thanks for the info 8ight. I wanted to get a backup motor anyway and I figured I would try one out. Im running the MMP with the Castle now, I want to get another ESC as a backup. I'm thinking of trying one of the Hobbywing 120A ESC's. Have you had any experience with one of them? Do you think I would be better with the 8th scale Hobbywing SC8 or the 10th scale Hobbywing 120A?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks for the info 8ight. I wanted to get a backup motor anyway and I figured I would try one out. Im running the MMP with the Castle now, I want to get another ESC as a backup. I'm thinking of trying one of the Hobbywing 120A ESC's. Have you had any experience with one of them? Do you think I would be better with the 8th scale Hobbywing SC8 or the 10th scale Hobbywing 120A?
dont run the mmp with the tenshock. i found out the hard way even though ridley had suggested they cant keep the higher 180 peak amps from the ten shock motors. you can read what im talking about in the tenshock motor thread. from what i hear those sc8 are great, but i have only ran the mmm 120, but i did nt run the mmm with the tenshock as i haven't gotten mine back from castle.

ckhobby.com sells the sc8 instead of ordering it from china and wait longer pm this guy as i think thats his store http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/mc4798.html

http://builtrc.com/ sells the motor from norcal and they have an ebay account as well http://myworld.ebay.com/builtrc/
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I have only used mmp's and mmm's w/ these motors. There were a few people in here though with a lot of hobbywing experience.. maybe they will speak up. I see a lot of mixed reviews around, but there are a lot of people using them with success. I was actually considering snagging one of those ESC's for a backup.. was like 89 or something.. good deal if it can do the job Lot better than paying 165ish for a rx8 (after coupons).
Old 07-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
dont run the mmp with the tenshock. i found out the hard way even though ridley had suggested they cant keep the higher 180 peak amps from the ten shock motors. you can read what im talking about in the tenshock motor thread. from what i hear those sc8 are great, but i have only ran the mmm 120, but i did nt run the mmm with the tenshock as i haven't gotten mine back from castle.

ckhobby.com sells the sc8 instead of ordering it from china and wait longer pm this guy as i think thats his store http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/mc4798.html

http://builtrc.com/ sells the motor from norcal and they have an ebay account as well http://myworld.ebay.com/builtrc/
Thanks for the help. Thats who I ordered my Tenshock from this morning off of ebay.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soccerlaw View Post
So, I went to OCRC today to try and get some practice in on my SCTE. I had been having some issues with it and actually was going to sell it. Anyway, Scott K introduced me to two guys in TLR shirts who proceeded to help me all afternoon. One guy took care of my set-up and the other laboriously worked on my tekin electronics all afternoon. Both of the guys were insanely helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable about the truck. One of them even took my car out for a few laps to get it even better set up. There really was no limit to how much they were wiling to help out even though they were there just to run themselves. Well, it turns out it was Ryan and Casper from TLR... the two guys that helped design the truck! haha. I honestly can't speak highly enough about the way that these guys represented the company and were just generally solid dudes all around. Losi has two phenomenal brand ambassadors in these guys. The truck is no longer for sale, I'm definitely buying one of those XXX-SCB's and another losi fanboy has been created!!
It was great meeting you yesterday. Ryan and I both love helping others out. Really sorry I could not help more with the ESC issue! We are always willing to help anyway we can with what ever we can though.

The SCB is a ton of fun. I am sure you will like it. Can't wait to see a class of them start at OCRC. Just need a few more of them.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I'm thinking about getting a 4wd SC truck to run as a 2nd class, just wondering what these Losi's are like?

Are they durable, long wearing, tough driveline, good plastics?

Most of my attention will be going towards my 2wd buggy, just looking at a 4wd SC for pure fun, so I won't be stocking up heaps on parts and not really looking to upgrade parts out of the box or keep having to replace parts regularly.
I would be powering it with the Tenshock 4000kv and SC8 ESC if I do go ahead and get one.
Yeah, buy one, they are very durable, you might even curb your buggy you'll like it so much.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Feint Motion View Post
Anyone Running the new Proline Caliber 2.0's or Hole Shots 2.0? These may be my next tire.
My local track doesn't go by roar rules, anything goes.
I have the Caliber 2.0's. I am not fond of how the tire fits the foams. It's a little loose compared to my bow-fighters which allows the tire to knife some at wot. I also find it has a lot of side bite so a high traction rough surface can lead to traction rolling. I am not the best at setup so it's also likely to some of that as well.

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post

Looks nice. Do you have any plans to make the piece that covers the steering linkage?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soccerlaw View Post
So, I went to OCRC today to try and get some practice in on my SCTE. I had been having some issues with it and actually was going to sell it. Anyway, Scott K introduced me to two guys in TLR shirts who proceeded to help me all afternoon. One guy took care of my set-up and the other laboriously worked on my tekin electronics all afternoon. Both of the guys were insanely helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable about the truck. One of them even took my car out for a few laps to get it even better set up. There really was no limit to how much they were wiling to help out even though they were there just to run themselves. Well, it turns out it was Ryan and Casper from TLR... the two guys that helped design the truck! haha. I honestly can't speak highly enough about the way that these guys represented the company and were just generally solid dudes all around. Losi has two phenomenal brand ambassadors in these guys. The truck is no longer for sale, I'm definitely buying one of those XXX-SCB's and another losi fanboy has been created!!
Im just glad we could help out at all. Thanks for letting us and it was very nice to meet you. Always nice to help anyone have more fun...after all, thats what we are all out there to do. If you ever need anything at all, always let us know.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

casper or hacker please come to the xxxt sct tread
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Last edited by mxr300ex; 08-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just wanted to give props to the Ten-T rear bumper....works great despite it's smallish size. Protection is outstanding.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why wouldn't the mmp work with tenshock 4000/4600kv motors?

Seen it powering 8th buggies no prob...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.