New to electric off-road and need you HELP >

New to electric off-road and need you HELP

New to electric off-road and need you HELP

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New to electric off-road and need you HELP

hey guys,

i need your help deciding what to get!! am not new to offroad as i run 1/8 nitro buggy and truggy, and am not new to electric as i run 1/10 and 1/18 touring. but am new to the electric offroad world.

we dont have a track for electric offroad so am only buying a car because they look good and i might be able to run it on our small offroad track. i also read alot that driving 1/10 electric will improve my 1/8 buggy skills.

few questions
1- shall i get 4wd or 2wd?? and why??
2- what chassis to run?? please dont start a war guys, just suggestions with reasosns and dont tell me to check our local track and local hobby shops for parts availability as we dont have a shop that sells 1/10 offroad parts. VIVA Amain
3- i would love to have a chassis that accepts stick lipo packs as i have 4 from my 1/10 TC car.
4- what motors do the Pros run ?? i know they run 6.5 in 4WD but what about 2WD??
5- what tires are best suited for sand based tracks (very loose)

and now the most important question:
how do you drive them?? i mean whats the idea?? do you run drag brake?? how much brake you need?? any punch?? timing?? when you drive it, how similar is it to 1/8 nitro buggies?? do you do the same in the air to control it?? brake and throttle?? a small explaination will be very appreciated

cheers guys

Ali
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
hey guys,

i need your help deciding what to get!! am not new to offroad as i run 1/8 nitro buggy and truggy, and am not new to electric as i run 1/10 and 1/18 touring. but am new to the electric offroad world.

we dont have a track for electric offroad so am only buying a car because they look good and i might be able to run it on our small offroad track. i also read alot that driving 1/10 electric will improve my 1/8 buggy skills. True

few questions
1- shall i get 4wd or 2wd?? and why?? 2wd, far more popular, simplier, less to break/work on, harder to drive
2- what chassis to run?? please dont start a war Heh, u said war guys, just suggestions with reasosns and dont tell me to check our local track and local hobby shops for parts availability as we dont have a shop that sells 1/10 offroad parts. VIVA Amain its true, but in 1/10 u'll eventually accumulate all the necessary spares and even begin to build a spare car. b4.1 or rb5 sp2
3- i would love to have a chassis that accepts stick lipo packs as i have 4 from my 1/10 TC car. most take sticks in 2wd
4- what motors do the Pros run ?? i know they run 6.5 in 4WD but what about 2WD?? 8.5-10.5
5- what tires are best suited for sand based tracks (very loose) crapshoot, have to refer to locals. loose, start around a ifmar pin or ifmar stud in red.

and now the most important question:
how do you drive them?? she is a she, not a he. hint. i mean whats the idea?? she'll tell you when your doin it wrong. do you run drag brake?? sometimes how much brake you need?? u'll know when u finally stop looping itany punch?? timing?? go mod, then u relegate this issue as N/Awhen you drive it, how similar is it to 1/8 nitro buggies?? 2wd, not even close, 4wd lil closer same attitudedo you do the same in the air to control it?? brake and throttle?? a small explaination will be very appreciated wont know til you try it, cant be explained....but its addictive. dont be the garden variety 8 scaler who runs away when u cant come to grips with it in 2 packs. takes time.

cheers guys

Ali
good luck and welcome

R
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Do you have a budget? Alot of your questions depend on how much money you can or would spend.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

thanks alot man for the answer. LOL i get it (she is a she)

about the chassis, hows the schumacher?? i love the way they look, are they good??

i didnt get it though about the tires, no locals around, am the only guy i might start electric offroad in Kuwait can you shoot me some links for tires please??

8.5T sounds good, i have my speed passion ESC from my TC car, servo wise!! i run savox, how will the 1257 (0.07s and 10kilos) be in the 1/10 buggy?? i guess its more than enough, right?

any expo for throttle and steering??

i dont give up that easy

thank again

Ali
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
Do you have a budget? Alot of your questions depend on how much money you can or would spend.
dont really have a budget, not an issue.

i do have most of what i need. i have my speed passion ESC, 4 lipo stick packs, many servos, M11x or KO Helios, chargers, tools...etc etc

i only need a chassis, tires and the 8.5 SP motor.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

so what do you guys think??

kinda looking around and i like the schumacher and the new Losi 22!!!!

any input??

still not sure what tires!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
so what do you guys think??

kinda looking around and i like the schumacher and the new Losi 22!!!!

any input??

still not sure what tires!!
Jconcepts green compound goosebumps in rear. Green rounders in front. Better would be to cut some goosebumps to mount as fronts too.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Nice topic. I'm also going to buy a 2wd 1/10 to pratice my 1/8 skills because we don't a 1/8 track in the neightbor. I only drive my buggy at races but that's 1-2times in a month.

I like the losi 22 because it looks well build and stronger than most 1/10 buggy's. And I like the Schumacher Cougar too. I guess I'll look out for a cheap 2nd hand Cougar and if I can't find that, I'll go with losi.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

popular 2wd buggies: Losi XXX-cr, soon to come 22, Associated B4 or B4.1, Kyosho RB5, TQ buggy, and the Schumacher Cougar. All are good.

Popular 4wd Buggies: Associated B44, Schumacher Cat SX, Durango 410, Kyosho Lazer, and TQ also has a wheeler. Caster racing also has one. All are good. The Cat is belt drive. The Durango model with all the goodies is very durable and handles 8th scale tracks better than the rest from what I have heard.

Popular 2wd Stadium Trucks: Associated T4, Losi XXXT, Kyosho RT5, TQ.

I personally drive a B4, B44, and a Kyosho RT5. I love the quality of the RT5 and it has been very durable. The B44 is just a plain blast to drive. Easy build and lots of parts support. I like the B4, but will be getting a Losi 22 and trying the mid motor set-up for a while.

If you really want to improve your driving, 2wd buggy is the way to do it. You must have good throttle management, chose good lines, use careful breaking and not crash. They are finicky little buggers, but very fun to race! I personally love the 17.5 class or mild mod (13.5). Keeps the racing close, but really punishes poor driving and rewards consistency.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

thanks alot for the answers guys

about the motors, i hate stock motors

when i first started 1/10 TC, all of my friends and buddies either here on RC tech or around in Kuwait said get an 8.5, its very fast and bla bla bla, so i asked ''the Man'' Paul lemieux and he said go for 4.5 ran the 4.5 for few weeks and then bought a 4T motor.....so the faster the better for me, am a fast learner. so its 8.5T for 2WD or 6.5 for 4WD for me

still not sure about the chassis, gotta do alot of reading to decide, i really like the Shumacher and its available now. i also love the new TLR 22 but its due late march, we stop all outdoor RC activities in April (high temp)

the kyosho doesnt look as cool as the 2 above and i dont like AE products because i run a Losi 2.0 buggy

cheers

Ali
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

hey guys,

after alot of reading and watching, i have decided to go with 2wd

i have narrowed my choices to the following, so please any tips, info of those who have those cars are highly appreciated, let the war begin i think a nice war will help me choose.

1- Kyosho RB5 SP2
2- Losi XXX CR or should i wait for the new 22??
3 Schumacher Cougar sv2

what do you guys think?? which one to get and why??

just for info, no local support for any of them so not an issue, money is not an issue too.

cheers

Ali
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Woow, not alot are willing to help a new guy?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have the Rb5 SP2 and love it. Buggy is very durable and is easy to put around the track. Setup with these is always a key thing as well. Hope it all goes well for ya. I personally run an LRP x12 10.5 with a bit of timing and it runs very well and competitive.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Ali,

As you have experience in rc, you know 4wd is easier to handle. Besides of that what will you do with the car? Competition on club-level or national level or bashing? I don't think there aren't bad cars on the market today. Take a look at the Durango car or the Yokomo buggy or the new Tamiya TRF502X car. There are good cars to race at national level.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

If youre looking to get into 2wd.. The Kyosho RB5 SP2 takes it hands down.. build quality.. durability.. ease of driving.. The Losi XXX CR has to be dremeled / shimmed and hacked to be competitive.. The 22 will be a good car.. but no game changer..The B4.1 comes out of the box slopped out.. and the quality sucks.. From what i have seen that "indestructible" Durango is a parts muncher ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service