Wiki Posts
Search

First run with first Slash = not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default First run with first Slash = not impressed

I recently purchased my second Traxxas product after 4 years since getting a Revo 3.3. I had been thinking about doing a Slash 4x4 for some time for a variety of reasons. I was impressed by the ability of the Slash to do most terrains that I saw on youtube vids as well as being pretty tough all around. Mostly though, my guys at the LHS all have SC trucks and I got to experience a small race last month on a snow track. It was very enjoyable to watch and I was a bit jealous watching the guys having a bumper car derby zipping around the with their Blitz and Slash, so that finally pushed me to purchase a new Slash 4x4 Ultimate last week and I went on my first drive yesterday in wet and sloshy conditions outside and ran both the 7cell and a 2s Turnigy Lipo.

First off, I will state how very pleased I was with how easy it was to take apart the Slash 4x4 and get it into parts to check and dry out, traxxas definently did their homework on the design of the vehicle. And any way you slice it, the ability to rinse an RC truck in the bath tub without hurting it is very nice!

As far as the driving experience with my first slash 4x4, it was mixed. I immediately concluded that the Slash doesn't have a chance in hell of being a decent basher in comparison to my Flux. I got high centered on the smallest snow and dirt piles that my Flux would have laughed at in comparison. The handling was definentely sharp and crisp, a nice change from my lug of beast that the Flux is. The Slash 4x4 ult had decent power with the stock 7 cell nimh, however, it was like entirely different truck when I put in my 2s Turnigy 5200 lipo. Throttle response was immediately better along with crisper acceleration and just more power all around in comparison to the cell. 3s on this thing would be insane, never mind being on a track. I've been hearing some weakpoints in the design that 3s tends to bring out with the Slash 4x4 so I may or may not pursue that much power.

In all, I was dissapointed in the Slash 4x4's bashing ability, I definentely won't be taking this thing on any major offroad adventures, my Flux will provide in that area. However, once I got over the intital dissapointment of the truck, I could imagine it would be alot more enjoyable on a track, especially with other people around. Part of me wants to sell it and wait and see if SC racing will take off in my area. The other part of me is pleased with the design and layout of the truck, ease of diassembly and cleaning and maintanence and makes me wanna keep it longer till I get some runs in on a track with some of the local guys and their SC trucks. I won't be doing much for upgrades or mods in the future until I decide if the truck is worth keeping.

Any incite or suggestions would aid me in my decision of this.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

While it will hold it's own in bashing compared to other trucks in it's class, I do think it's a bit unfair to compare it to your flux. Just look at the flux, it's tires are almost as big as the slash
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You are right, compared to a monster truck, the 4x4 sc will be a let down in the bashing arena. I have a summit and an e-slayer. I was ready to sell the slayer b/c it is just boring when used in non-track conditions. Once I took it to the track I became hooked. I don't pay any attention to the summit anymore and really enjoy driving 4x4 sc. Get it to the track, you'll feel better about the purchase; even if its just to practice.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

You're kind of comparing apples to oranges, a monster truck v.s. a SCT.

I'm not a huge Traxxas fan but a better comparison would be between the Savage Flux and a VXL version of a Stampede, E-Maxx, or Summit.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

hey, if you're disappointed now, wait until you get it on the track!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stu22
You're kind of comparing apples to oranges, a monster truck v.s. a SCT.

I'm not a huge Traxxas fan but a better comparison would be between the Savage Flux and a VXL version of a Stampede, E-Maxx, or Summit.
i 2nd that!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowroad
hey, if you're disappointed now, wait until you get it on the track!
Either back up your opinion with factual information or please STFU
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte
Either back up your opinion with factual information or please STFU
lighten up francis.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I had a 4WD onroad car that could barely go over gravel, my Rusty would tear it up.

Yes, way off comparison, just making the point others made. You're comparing apples to oranges. Stick to it for a little, run it on the track like you're thinking. Then make a decision. Maybe it really isn't for you, but try it on it's own without comparing. You may like it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Freezebyte - I understand where you're coming from. I had a T-maxx (as a previous Traxxas vehicle). I compared my Slash to that, since it was the only truck / Traxxas RC I owned. The Slash is a completely different beast with a LiPo pack, brutal in acceleration with higher C rated packs. As for general bashing - it can get into some challenges with deeper terrain. It also can get bogged down in sand (as I found out the hard way). Overall - it's still a good vehicle. It soaks up jumps pretty good; my nephew and I had it jumping his BMX ramp w/o issues; hours of fun.

Just recently, I have taken the truck to a 1/10th scale track where they race SCT. If you haven't already, you should try it - you'll have a blast. I would make sure you have the center diff installed (as opposed to the slipper) and drop the ride height a bit from stock setting. I also had to increase the viscosity in the dampers to handle the bigger jumps.

This is what the track looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6lpIBoFaDw
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
lighten up francis.
Nice Stripes reference.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Have you bent the rear axles yet or did they fix that?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Freezbyte, I know how you feel:

I was so pissed when I tried to go in a mud bog with my Sentra and it didn't go as well as my buddy's F-350 on 44 inch Super Swampers

<end fake story that points out how silly this topic is>
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

its a slash what do you expect.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe your just not challenging the Slash enough. It might get stuck on some fist sized rocks, but it seems to do pretty well with big ones that would destroy just about everything else. If you want to compare apples to oranges, try the Flux on these size rocks.

youtube.com/user/nicksourceUK#p/u/4/Fn3kfsPW79s

(Won't let me post links yet, so put www in front.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.