Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What SCT for begginers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What SCT for begginers

Hey guys I'm looking to get my 8 yr old son and I into SCT racing and wondering what truck you would recommend, and why. Durability, design, aftermarket.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by resqman911
Hey guys I'm looking to get my 8 yr old son and I into SCT racing and wondering what truck you would recommend, and why. Durability, design, aftermarket.

Thanks in advance.
8yrd old / traxxas / durability.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

slash is the most obvious one. Not the greatest to race but durability and parts availabilty are at the top of the list. As he progresses i would then switch to a sc10. Not as durable as the slash but handles alot better, easier to tune, and parts are everywhere and cheap .
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Slash hands down
Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks in advance.
I would say Slash. Very durable, parts availability, Very reliable. Not the best racing platform, but you can compete. As he gets better, you can look for other vehicles that are more "race" oriented. The Slash is a fine race vehicle, but the high CG hurts you a bit.

If you race in a Mod class, you could always put an STRC CG kit in the Slash, as well as the Proline protrac suspension.

Basically, the sky's the limit with the Slash.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigmike22
slash is the most obvious one. Not the greatest to race but durability and parts availabilty are at the top of the list. As he progresses i would then switch to a sc10. Not as durable as the slash but handles alot better, easier to tune, and parts are everywhere and cheap .
That's what we did. My kid ran a slash his first year.

He's turned into a respectable racer and he's getting a SC10 next month for his birthday...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

from what I can tell from last year, outside of the slash, the next durable one seemed to be the HPI Blitz. pretty beefy, and it has a race feel to it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
from what I can tell from last year, outside of the slash, the next durable one seemed to be the HPI Blitz. pretty beefy, and it has a race feel to it.
picture a speedometer, except instead of mph, the scale is full on race truck to the right, and basher to the left.

the 4 big SCT's would stack up like this.

To the left is the Slash. Not a bad a race truck, you can compete. but its durable as all heck.

next to the right would be the Blitz. A little better race truck, lower CG. Not as durable as the traxxas, but pretty close.

Then the XXX-SCT. A better race truck even still, not as durable as the Blitz or the Slash.

Then the SC10 would be to the right. The premier race truck, but not as durable as the other three.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

The Slash and the Blitz seem to be the most durable. The Slash comes with 2.4GhZ radio though and a brushless system. The Slash and Blitz can change wheels front and rear, not possible with the SC10 unless you buy additional stuff. The back spacing is different front to rear on the Slash but I am guessing it wouldn't matter much to someone starting out. HPI customer service is the best I have dealt with bar none.
Blake
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zeakemedia
The Slash and the Blitz seem to be the most durable. The Slash comes with 2.4GhZ radio though and a brushless system. The Slash and Blitz can change wheels front and rear, not possible with the SC10 unless you buy additional stuff. The back spacing is different front to rear on the Slash but I am guessing it wouldn't matter much to someone starting out. HPI customer service is the best I have dealt with bar none.
Blake
the regular old Slash doesn't come with a brushless. They sell one with a brushless, but the lower model has the Titan 12T, brushed motor.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree the Traxxas Slash for its durability is an ideal choice for a 8yr old beginner. But would you choose 4wd or 2wd? I thought 4wd b/c it's easier to drive (keep them motivated rather than discouraged), but then again there are more parts to break/maintain. What is the experience of others?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks in advance.
If you are getting into racing you should start with a race truck which means an AE SC10 or one of the other brands designed with racing in mind.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have two daughters (8 and 7) who bash the hell out of a Slash both on the track and around the house. We've had it a year and they've never broken anything on it.

I'd say go with the Slash. When you are ready to try racing, all you really need are some better tires to begin with and it will perform well enough.

ben
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by armourbl
I have two daughters (8 and 7) who bash the hell out of a Slash both on the track and around the house. We've had it a year and they've never broken anything on it.

I'd say go with the Slash. When you are ready to try racing, all you really need are some better tires to begin with and it will perform well enough.

ben
along those lines, I compete with my Slash. there's only been one week where I didn't make the A main.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mulepic
I agree the Traxxas Slash for its durability is an ideal choice for a 8yr old beginner. But would you choose 4wd or 2wd? I thought 4wd b/c it's easier to drive (keep them motivated rather than discouraged), but then again there are more parts to break/maintain. What is the experience of others?
Start him off with a 2wd. It will teach him throttle control and make him a better driver in the long run.

I started out in 2wd buggy years ago, and we all know if you can drive one of those things you can drive just about anything. Although SC trucks are the most ill handling RC Ive ever driven. With that being said, I think they are some of the most fun. I know, it sounds weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.