Associated quality?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are a perfectionist and have deep pockets the T4/B4 are probably not the right cars for you.

I think its more fair to compare AE to other manufactuers who also offer a complete line of off road cars. In that respect, I think they are as good as Losi and HPI/HB but perhaps not up to Kyosho in quality.

I havent been doing a lot of research on other manufactuers so I may have missed one or two. Please feel free to get me up to speed on that.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

From what I have heard the newer .1 ae cars have a different plastic than the older '4's, sappose to be softer for more flex, I don't think I would ever notice though Perhaps that is why they are getting sloppy faster.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sst4nbr1 View Post
do you have the buggy or truck?
It's the uggly......I mean buggy.....er.....uggly buggy. Yup.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
+1 i agree and there parts arent very cheap at all .
i think that would hurt the r/c racing community if people decided to do that.
I do own an xray touring car and here is my two cents on it though. Do you know why the parts are expensive? Because they do not break. Most of them are well engineered from the start. They did have a problem with the T3 front end, but that has been changed.

Now, I have two new RC8Be's for my sons this season, and the quality looks good. Instruction manual had some misspellings and reversed rear arm illustrations.

Here is where I feel the two companies differ though. Manuals and support. Xray is the highest standard for quality of instructions and complete setup of every tuning option available on your vehicle. It's one of the few companies that I am aware of that you can post on their forum with what your car is doing and get suggestions from any of the factory drivers for correct changes to try.

I have losi's, hot bodies, xray, hpi, and AE and nothing I have found comes to the xray standard.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I was thinking there quality was down a little also, I haven't owned the .1 updated kit, but my sons SC10 is nearly ridiculous on the rack, I know SC's are loud to begin with, but they shouldn't shudder & look as the front wheels are coming off..Thank the Rc gods for the cheap foam sticky washers...I will say that it does work well...
Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

I also just moved over to AE from Losi and Hot Bodies. Here is my reason. The suspension feels like no other 1/8 scale that I have ever driven.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Associated needs to redesign their "Ball Diff" It is far to time and money consuming to keep it working properly. I'm sure if a new design diff that worked well and actually had a significant lifespan improvement they would have owners of different brand cars flocking to get on the AE train. Design a diff the lives don't wait for the competition to beat you to the punch!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
I do own an xray touring car and here is my two cents on it though. Do you know why the parts are expensive? Because they do not break. Most of them are well engineered from the start. They did have a problem with the T3 front end, but that has been changed.

Now, I have two new RC8Be's for my sons this season, and the quality looks good. Instruction manual had some misspellings and reversed rear arm illustrations.

Here is where I feel the two companies differ though. Manuals and support. Xray is the highest standard for quality of instructions and complete setup of every tuning option available on your vehicle. It's one of the few companies that I am aware of that you can post on their forum with what your car is doing and get suggestions from any of the factory drivers for correct changes to try.

I have losi's, hot bodies, xray, hpi, and AE and nothing I have found comes to the xray standard.

well, i can say i have bent rear hub hidge pins and a bent shock on my eight-t but that was from a bad hit !

but, i am looking to get a rc8t ce soon the one reason i wont get a hb or a mugen xray is because there is people at my outdoor track that run them so thats good for help.

im not a pro driver just a club racer.

but dont you have to get a new xray car or 1/8 everytime they come out with something or is that a myth ?

i, agree though that the xray parts are made good but if you ask me for a regular joe club driver i think having more flexble supension really helps from crashing etc.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I was thinking there quality was down a little also, I haven't owned the .1 updated kit, but my sons SC10 is nearly ridiculous on the rack, I know SC's are loud to begin with, but they shouldn't shudder & look as the front wheels are coming off..Thank the Rc gods for the cheap foam sticky washers...I will say that it does work well...

ever hear how loud slashs are i know
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Xray is just a cover for the Government's Top Secret chemical weapons and Space Alien cloning facility.

Y'all heard it here 1st.
Best post ever!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lostinbaja View Post
Associated needs to redesign their "Ball Diff" It is far to time and money consuming to keep it working properly. I'm sure if a new design diff that worked well and actually had a significant lifespan improvement they would have owners of different brand cars flocking to get on the AE train. Design a diff the lives don't wait for the competition to beat you to the punch!!!!
X2 on this one! I'm ready to go back to the gear dif.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Unless there is something wrong, you should be able to get 4-6 or more race weekends from an AE ball diff.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
They must have changed dramatically. There are a couple SC10's at our track that you'd swear were being blown by the wind. They just don't make any noise.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

At my local track we have had two FT b4.1 missing random little items, like bearings screws, or the plastic parts on the rear hubs. Also we have had two FT SC10 missing bag C, which has the tranny in it.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
Unless there is something wrong, you should be able to get 4-6 or more race weekends from an AE ball diff.
With the sealed gear diffs and the capability to change fluids, I think ball diffs are going to be a thing of the past just like brushed motors. Touring cars have already started making the change also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service