R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3
Exclamation New Motor Question

I just picked up a new Team Orion Core Stock motor for my B4. How do I break it in? I heard of using the Dremel at low RPM for a couple minutes. Any other ideas?
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

3 or 4 cells for a minute or two. Seems to be a pretty popular method
Old 08-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Tech Elite

so what do I do, just plug the motor directly into a 4 cell pack?
Old 08-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

The Core motors run hot. Before you break it in, you should do some tuning to help reduce the heat build-up and make the motor more efficient. Take your motor apart. I have found that a dremmel is too fast and the makes the arm vibrate violently so I would aviod using one. Use a reamer and a hammer and GENTLY remove your bushings from the can and endbell and sand them inside and out with some 800 and 2000 grit sand paper, then polish them inside and out with Blue Magic polish. Next, chuck one end of your armature into an electric drill and sand and polish your shafts. This will cut down on the heat buildup as the bushings and arm will be much more free with eachother. If done correctly, they should spin like bearings. Then carefully replace your bushings back into your can and endbell. As for brushes, you should narrow them to reduce the "cogging" or shorting effect that happens with stock motors. Take the brush and a file and file at a 45 degree angle the side face of the brush. A brush makes a smile when you look directly at it....so all you are doing is taking away the "fullness" of the smile. Basically, you want to narrow the face of the brush as this will also help reduce a lot of heat. Be sure to lube the bushings very will and the stock springs should be fine. Then hook it up to a 4 cell pack and let it run for a few minutes. Keep a fan on the motor while it runs.

If you have any question on the sanding and polishing stuff, I'll try to explain it better.
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite

What you're doing to the bushings is actually illegal. Cant be done for ROAR sanctioned events. But I'll give it a try. It's just for club racing anyways. Do you have Yahoo or AIM or somthing? I would like to learn more about this.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Actually, I believe that it is fully legal for ROAR. I used this method at last years stock nationals and recieved no beef about it. Personally, I don't think that there is a difference between what I am doing and what break-in drops do. My method comes from Big Jim (who is a jerk btw) and a more in-depth/deeper tuning method.

No, I do not have AIM or Yahoo, but just ask here and I'll hook you up.
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

From what I have gathered from Big Jim ( no problems with him but he can be testy at times ) tuning the Core stock is similar to tuning the MVP ( ie- narrow brushes, etc ). If we had a stock class I wouldn't mind trying the Core as I hear it is really torquey out the box. The weird thing is that with the MVP stock it felt really RPMish and not torquey ( hence the need for narrow brushes ). I am not really sure though if the Core is torquey, why then go with torquey brushes but I trust his methods as they worked for my MVPs.

I believe he is doing consultant work now for trinity.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:19 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

there is no need to remove bushings unless you suspect that it is in crooked or you want to replace them. instead of using sandpaper use a good metal polish on the arm shaft with it in a drill. as far as the bushing goes break a q tip in half, put some metal polish on it, run it through the hole, put the end in a dremal fire it up for a few seconds at a time and check your progress. then make sure to spray the parts with motor cleaner. by the way, this is the way big jim reccomendes doing it, he is strongly against reaming and sanding. for the best info on rc motors go to rccars.com and click on big jims motor forum.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote