Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Ballistic 540 Replacement Items >

New Ballistic 540 Replacement Items

New Ballistic 540 Replacement Items

Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Company Representative

Default New Ballistic 540 Replacement Items

Novak Ballistic Epoxy Dipped Hand Wound Stators

Novak’s Ballistic 540 Hand-Wound Stators have revolutionized the R/C motor market since their debut over a year ago. A Novak motor’s turn can be changed with the simple switch of a stator; cost effective and convenient! Novak continues to transform the brushless motor market by introducing the all new Ballistic 540 Epoxy Dipped Hand Wound Stators – 6.5T – 25.5T (#S6606E - #S6625E). These new stators include all of the features of Novak’s hand wound stators with the added benefits of epoxy. Each of the eight stators offer strengthened reliability and higher power operation performance of the motor— ideal for extreme racing conditions.

EPOXY COATING

The Ballistic Hand Wound Stators are dipped in a special motor winding epoxy and then oven-cured for several hours. Once the epoxy is cured, it prevents the wires in the stator from moving or rubbing against the laminations and other wires in extreme racing conditions. Preventing this unwanted contact avoids shorts in the motor coils, which can lead to premature failure. The epoxy also helps transfer heat from the wires to the lamination, helping motor operation at higher power levels. All around, the epoxy coating improves the reliability of Novak’s already high-quality stators and provides extreme vibration resistance.

Ballistic 540 Epoxy Wound Stators

1S Graded, Sintered 12.3mm Rotor

This replacement rotor is especially suited for use with 1S Input Voltage. The 1S Graded Sintered Rotor - 12.3mm (#S5953) is an affordable rotor rated under 1200 according to popular magnetic strength meters, such as Zubak's Speed Meter 2™.

These rotors are selected and graded for maximum RPM in 1S LiPo applications. With the magnet at a lower pull, the rotor allows a higher RPM, increasing the Kv of the motor by approximately X%. Novak prides itself on the quality and consistency of our rotors. All rotors are magnetized in house, and are tested to ensure even and balanced magnetization.

The 1S Graded Sintered Rotor is compatible with all of Novak’s 540-sized brushless motors, including the Ballistic, Velociti and SS Pro series' of motors.

Features:

....High-strength sintered, Neodymium magnet for maximum motor acceleration, braking power and performance in high temperature conditions
....Nickel-plated for stronger surface and resistance to corrosion
....Meets ROAR & IFMAR specifications
....Novak designed

1S Graded Sintered Rotor - 12.3mm
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Will new Ballistic motors include the new Epoxy Dipped Hand Wound Stators or will this only be an optional stator to buy seperately?

Keep up the great work, I am running 3 Ballistics in my cars/crawler and they are awesome motors!! I am running a Ballistic 13.5 on 1S in my 12R5.1 and it works great but I am running on a small track and not pushing too hard so it doesn't produce much heat (usually around 100-110 degrees after 6-10 mins of constant runnning). Would I see any improvement with the 1S rotor or is it more suited to applications that are really stressing the motor with a lot of heat or over-gearing?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Funky View Post
Will new Ballistic motors include the new Epoxy Dipped Hand Wound Stators or will this only be an optional stator to buy seperately?

Keep up the great work, I am running 3 Ballistics in my cars/crawler and they are awesome motors!! I am running a Ballistic 13.5 on 1S in my 12R5.1 and it works great but I am running on a small track and not pushing too hard so it doesn't produce much heat (usually around 100-110 degrees after 6-10 mins of constant runnning).

Would I see any improvement with the 1S rotor or is it more suited to applications that are really stressing the motor with a lot of heat or over-gearing?
Initially, we will be selling the epoxied stators separately. Later on, we will add them to our Build-A-Ballistic™ 540 motors. We offer two motors, on-line, that have +1300 rotors and ceramic bearings; we will be updating these 2 motors with the epoxied stators.

Our low gauss 12.3mm rotor is geared for Oval single cell racing:

These rotors are selected and graded for maximum RPM in 1S LiPo applications. With the magnet at a lower pull, the rotor allows a higher RPM. Novak prides itself on the quality and consistency of our rotors. All rotors are magnetized in house, and are tested to ensure even and balanced magnetization.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
1S Graded, Sintered 12.3mm Rotor
What does graded and low gauss mean in this case?

Last edited by pmes; 02-17-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added to question
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pmes View Post
What does graded and low gauss mean in this case?
I THINK and Novak Two will give you his answer but the rotor actually has less magnetizem increasing rpm when running on a 1 cell lipo. This may sound like a bad thing but with limited voltage it can be hard to get rpm's.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

I figured it out. They grade the rotor's magnetism to make sure the magnetic field is lower in strength==low gauss (So named after Karl F. Gauss, a German mathematician).
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

It does make sense for 13.5 1s ramping. We want the rotor to spin up as fast as it can using the voltage we have.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I know what guass is but most people don't so I didn't want to get into that whole thing..
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Company Representative

This is a tuning rotor graded for low voltage operation---primarily in oval events.

This replacement rotor is especially suited for use with 1S Input Voltage. The 1S Graded Sintered Rotor - 12.3mm (#S5953) is an affordable rotor rated under 1200 according to popular magnetic strength meters, such as Zubak's Speed Meter 2™.

These rotors are selected and graded for maximum RPM in 1S LiPo applications. With the magnet at a lower pull, the rotor allows a higher RPM. Novak prides itself on the quality and consistency of our rotors. All rotors are magnetized in house, and are tested to ensure even and balanced magnetization.

The 1S Graded Sintered Rotor is compatible with all of Novak’s 540-sized brushless motors, including the Ballistic, Velociti and SS Pro series' of motors.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the epoxy dipped stators should become mandatory for
every motor you produce.

There's too many ingenious racers out there that can remove a couple
winds and solder it back together.

I understand your marketing of making a stronger , more reliable stator for racing but the real reason is to keep motors from being tampered with.

Does Novak have a minimum Inductance number for it's motors ?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Company Representative

We are investigating offering epoxied stators for all of our motors, but this measure is being taken primarily to mitigate burnt stators in spec (high-wind) motors. Re-winding motors to cheat was a secondary consideration. Oval racers (using timing/boost escs) are particularly hard on motors---pushing these motors beyond their design specs.

We do not use inductance in our motor manufacturing; we measure the stator resistance of every motor to verify the winding; each wind has a resistance range that indicates that the stator is correctly wound.

Originally Posted by NE RC Racer View Post
I think the epoxy dipped stators should become mandatory for
every motor you produce.

There's too many ingenious racers out there that can remove a couple
winds and solder it back together.

I understand your marketing of making a stronger , more reliable stator for racing but the real reason is to keep motors from being tampered with.

Does Novak have a minimum Inductance number for it's motors ?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

x% huh? thats a great figure!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was just going to say, X%, where X is equal to.....?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If I were to use Novak's trade-in program for new motors would the new motors have the epoxy coating? My 5-year old velociti's finally are starting to go out one by one. So I might as well swap the whole arsenal. I wish the trade-in could do could do 10 items. I have 6 motors and 3 GTB's. Well, actually I sent the GTB's off last week for the new GTB 2's. I hope they rock like the original GTB's have been for the past several years.

thanx
chris
Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Company Representative

The motors in our Trade-In programs do not include the new epoxied stators; they are only offered as replacements, for now. We will be offering Factory Team motors soon with the new stators; these new versions will replace these motors.

Adding the FT motors to our replacement/exchange programs should be do-able in the future. You can return as many items for exchange (at one time) as you wish---you many need to fill out additional return forms. But shipping both ways is much cheaper, per item, when more products are sent at one time.

Originally Posted by air8 View Post
If I were to use Novak's trade-in program for new motors would the new motors have the epoxy coating? My 5-year old velociti's finally are starting to go out one by one. So I might as well swap the whole arsenal. I wish the trade-in could do could do 10 items. I have 6 motors and 3 GTB's. Well, actually I sent the GTB's off last week for the new GTB 2's. I hope they rock like the original GTB's have been for the past several years.

thanx
chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.