Wiki Posts
Search

Help me choose right power supply!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Thanks.

That's what I'm asking though. Why does it need 24v to push that out?

I guess this is the wrong forum to be asking. Probably should join RcGroups. There seems to be a lot of info there. I don't really know if I could ever use all the power this has and the $25 PSUs seem to be the ticket. I found a 48v 3000w server PSU for REALLY cheap but no mention on how many amps it put out.....

Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
NeuRacer, too bad you are getting static on this. If you need to buy a power supply that puts out a little more power than your charger can put out because there is some loss to heat, etc. So, a 10-15% chushion always seems to be needed, that means 1500-1600 watts.
Also, your charger may be capable of putting out 1344 watts, but only if it is fed 24 volts. It might only put out half that if supplied with 12 volts. I suggest you talk to or e-mail the place you are buying this from for a power supply recommendation. They should be able to give you good advice.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

A high voltage power supply is required to get full power, because of current limitations on the input side of the charger.

Otherwise the charger input section would need to handle something like 100 amps or more to achieve full power. Not very practical, would require significant components to handle, and would result in a lot of power loss and heat due to the current driven power losses.

The power supply has to provide more power that you are charging at, because the charger itself consumes some power, display, control circuits, etc, and has efficiency losses due to current losses. Which result in heat as mentioned.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

P.S. After you get that ~1500W ~24V power supply, the next challenge is finding a outlet for the supply. Pretty much at the limit or close to many residential power circuits, probably need to make sure not much else is on the circuit if you want to use all of that power.

These latest chargers are pushing the limits of what is available from a 120V plug. Much more and we will need 220~240V power supplies!

Of course there is a lot of power available without going to full power. Say you got a 500W supply, still a big increase over your previous 50W capability. Depending on what you actually plan to do with it you may not need that big of a supply.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
I have on order, a Powerlab 8 charger. It is a 1300w 40amp output beast of a machine.

I am currently using 2x 50w chargers so am excited for the upgrade but only have a 30amp commonsense RC powersupply. I've been reading a ton on forums about 12v and 24v PSU but am still not sure what the benefits are.

I don't really plan on putting out 40amps but who knows. However, I want to be able to use every drop of features the charger has or what's the point so what are the bare minimum specs of a PS I'll need?

Thanks.
I'll be ordering that charger soon. It definitely is a beast and I look forward to using it to its full potential. If you have the right Lipo packs that allow 5 or 6c charging, you could charge up a pack from dead in like 15 minutes.

Maxamps made a 24volt power supply just for that charger that should allow you to use its full potential. They essentially copied a few guys on rc-monster who were jerry rigging some computer power supplies. I appreciate them doing it because I don't know enough about power supplies to rig on up myself on the cheap. I guess you could make your own for like 40 bucks, but I rather pay someone to do it right.

http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-24V.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

The first thing you need to do is find out what voltage the new charger will accept. Then find a charger with voltage near the high end of that range with high watts as well.

The most powerfuld rc power supply I could find was this maxamps supply that is 24V and 1150 watts.

http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-24V.htm

As others have mentioned before, you could build it yourself for less than half what maxamps wants for it, but read through the thread on rcmonster, because there are some safety precautions to take when combining two of those server power supplies to get the 24V.

WOW -- Edumakated beat me to it by 3 minutes.

Last edited by nougat; 01-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was actually researching the same question last nite and found a great editrol on the subject, it helped me understand why 24v is needed for these high watt chargers.
Here's the link:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...e-for-charging

Be sure to check out many other things that are on his site. I like the 80% rule and always use it.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

1300 watts is a lot of power....

90 amp bulldog power supply only gives you 1200.

http://www.rivergatedist.com/bulldog_90.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX
1300 watts is a lot of power....

90 amp bulldog power supply only gives you 1200.

http://www.rivergatedist.com/bulldog_90.htm
Makes the maxamps power supply look like a bargain.