Do RX8s turn into fireballs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do RX8s turn into fireballs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

For that matter it is not limited to BL controllers either, I have been racing for a long time and have seen brushed controllers from Novak, Tekin, and LRP flame up
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so how do you deal with these incidents? How do you make sure that if this happens your truck and your lipos are protected from the flames? I mean, if those lipos catch fire that'd be game over for the truck
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twigman08
Any ESC can go up in "flames." No matter where you look their are stories on both sides.

I've read stories of people having no problems with their MMM and their R8 went into flames. I've also read stories of people having their MMM go up in flames and their R8 just fine. Their are stories for both sides.

It sucks that it did happen, but in all honestly it's something that more than likely just needs to be shrugged off. Any ESC could've done the same thing.

Heck their are some people they have had problems with the MMM and instead of switching to the R8 they actually went with the MMP and have had absolutely no problem running that system in an 1/8 scale.

But the R8 is also a great ESC.
Yup, I run the mmp in a VE8 on a 4s set-up. As long as the fan is working on the esc, all is fine. I haven't had an issue yet. I even accidentally unplugged the fan one time during practice and it came of a bit hotter than I like, but no problems. Both CC and Tekin have good service and many fans. Sometimes ESC's just go poof. I had a Tekin RS burn up in my B44, but sent it in and it was replaced within a weak no questions asked. I like both companies.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Esc's should really never "flame" up. They can smoke,etc. There are very few combustibles in the esc in regard to fire. Smoke, sure.

Anything can fail at anytime,it's Murphy's law not ours.

Mounting any electronic componenet has a huge effect on how it will function both in the short and long term.

I've seen wires too tight, wires not soldered properly, mis matched polarity, chaffed wires,etc all cause esc failures for "no reason."

The Rx8 has some rough goings early on. We stood behind the product and improved on it as needed. We will continue to do so.