R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 17.5 SC motor temps?

Hey guys tried to do a little searching and most of what i find goes hand in hand with gearing... Not sure that i have a heat/gear issue as ive been in and out of this for a while... The new thing to me is the 17.5 SCT

Im running a SC10 and when it comes off the track the motor is pretty darn warm. Not so much to burn you, but as far as the 5 sec rule, i can just about get the 5 sec out of it. I havent had my temp gun in with my electric goodies so i dont have an actual temp... yet...

I run a Havoc 3S and ballistic motor in both my buggy and SC. Both ESCs barely get warm at all. My 13.5 in the buggy seems to barely get warm. Usually running a FDR of 6.95-7.25. For the SC i am in range with a 7.5-8 FDR. I was running with a 75 spur and 26 pinion and was too warm for my liking. I went to a 25 pinion (small track so no biggie) but seems like there was no change in the motor temp after running a similar 6 minute heat.

Do these 17.5s just make some decent heat or what? Or maybe combined with running a vehicle larger than a 1/10 buggy? I do not seem to use any more battery than buggy for the same 6-8 minute races.

Also on a side note. The SC10 is new to me like i said. Ive been running buggy a while. The 17.5 motor i have in the SC used to be a 13.5 in the buggy. I had a bad day when somehow i failed to plug in the sensor wire and it fried the old 13.5 stator in like 2-3 sec... Thats when i purchased a 17.5 stator to run the SC in stock class and i just rebuilt that motor. So im wondering if it has something to do with this. Could timing somehow be way off? This truck doesnt run bad at all, in fact it wins for me

What kind of temp does anyone else experience? Maybe im just over-thinking it?
GizmoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ShortCourseOnly

I would say that you may be over thinking this. I am one to always check my temps to be sure. If you can hold you finger on the motor for 5 seconds you are probably good. My SC10 with 17.5 ballistic is usually to hot to hold for 5 minutes and is well below the 170* temps.

When I ran the Havoc 3s I used 26-28t pinions and a 75 spur and had temps between 140 and 175 deg. In Winter I even ran up to 30t pinions without temp issues (40 deg ambient temps). Now I am running the Kinetic with dynamic timing so I have changed gears to maximize performance. I rarely get over 160 now with 24/81 gears and 40 degrees advance. The motor is still hot to the touch when it comes off so you need to get a temp gun to check. On the SC10 if you have the FT motor plate I have found the hottest temps can be measured at the motor plate. It acts as a great heat sink.

I have been using the Kinetic for a while and the temperature readings in the Novalink are fairly accurate. I don't use a temp gun any more cause I just check it with my Novalink.
Associated SC10 4x4/Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 4.5t
Traxxas Rally Custom Edge/Ballistic 540 10.5t
ShortCourseOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. Ive been looking at the kinetic and the tekin ESCs but i dont think ill get one until outdoor season when i can really use extra settings to my advantage. The Havoc 3S seems pretty bulletproof so far so ill stick it out with those for the time being. The guys with the $$$ gear arent doing any better than i am on the indoor track

As far as using a temp gun, I have mine sitting and ready to go with me to the next race. Dont know why i didnt bring it with me the last couple times... I usually have it in with my truggy gear...

Come to think of it, i first ran this truck with a 27+28 pinion and i dont think the motor was much warmer than it gets now. Not used to checking the temps due to the buggy never getting nearly as hot. Just something i noticed pulling it off of the track one time.

So im looking for 170* or less on the can/motor plate? Thought about putting the electric tape on the can for a few runs to try and get a good reading that way.

Say has anyone tried using thermal paste (like on a cpu heatsink) between the motor and the plate? Just an idea
GizmoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Tape shouldn't be needed with the black ano. on the Ballistic, I would try to aim for 160 deg. or less. I know it's only 10 deg. but Novaks really don't like heat IMO.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you can put your finger on it for 5 secs. I would say your geared pretty good.....I never run the over 160-170 degrees....But it sounds like you are right on the money without having a temp gun to keep your eye on it.

140-150 is a better temp to shot for 170 is stressing it pretty good...and different track/layouts will make the temp go up or down.so if your around 150ish that gives you that buffer zone if your running 160ish and go to a track that is diff. and it runs hotter then your gettin in the danger mode...just my 2 sec..
Florida Indoor R/C Complex--Indoor Carpet Onroad and Fri Night Carpet offroad Racing--
scootinround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

Gear in accordance to your track/performance requirements and motor should stay within reasonable temps 120-160.
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

17.5 love to be underdriven. I have great luck with about 20% under. throw some timing at the motor if you can in the middle to upper rpm range.
XXX-SCT / Stock
Losi SCTE
RAPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I read that you had rebuilt the ballistic motor and was wondering if changed the bearings as well. I have noticed with my ballistic it started running hotter temps and it turned out to be the bearings generating added heat the motor mainly the front bearing.

Just something else to consider.
slackomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

not sure where you live, but harbor frieght has tempguns for $9.95 or so. If your motor is too hot, gear down.
lowroad is offline   Reply With Quote