Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hi I just bought a SC10 RTR Brushless do I need to calibrate the ESC or Transmitter? >

Hi I just bought a SC10 RTR Brushless do I need to calibrate the ESC or Transmitter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi I just bought a SC10 RTR Brushless do I need to calibrate the ESC or Transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Hi I just bought a SC10 RTR Brushless do I need to calibrate the ESC or Transmitter?

I just got a SC10 brushless RTR and was just curious if I need to do anything before use with the ESC or Transmitter? I am just getting back in to the hobby and I also bought a Slayer Pro 4x4 3.3 nitro, so I have a few newbie questions. I had to wait till next week to get a 2cell lipo but I have a 1500mah 7.2 nimh pack and it's sort of slow will the lipo increase speed a good bit? I know run time will be better with lipo but how much normally? THANKS ALOT for any info/help!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You will have to calibrate esc and tx, lipo will be prolly 2x the speed and depends on the size of lipo for runtime. THe esc can be tricky, if you are switching back and forth between lipo and nimh or nicd you have to wait a few seconds after turning on so esc can figure out which battery it is. Esc has a couple different modes as well, like i said you'll have to calibrate it to the mode you want, if i remember right my buddies didnt come with esc instructions, he had to get them off the ae website. Good luck to ya.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by savannahmick
I just got a SC10 brushless RTR and was just curious if I need to do anything before use with the ESC or Transmitter? I am just getting back in to the hobby and I also bought a Slayer Pro 4x4 3.3 nitro, so I have a few newbie questions. I had to wait till next week to get a 2cell lipo but I have a 1500mah 7.2 nimh pack and it's sort of slow will the lipo increase speed a good bit? I know run time will be better with lipo but how much normally? THANKS ALOT for any info/help!
You need to set the end points for the transmitter.

Each ESC has a different technique. You will have instructions explaining the necessary sequences.

NIMH Vs LIPO
It's difficult to say without knowing the quality of the 1500mah nimh pack.

However, once you go LIPO you will never go back. The ability to deliver current while keeping the voltage at a constant 7.4v is something a LIPO does very well.

NIMH batteries struggle to keep the voltage constant when current demands increase.

The result is that NIMH batteries in general are ok until the current demands rise. So the more grip the surface has or the heavier the vehicle, or the more powerful the motor......then the more improvement you will see with a LIPO.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

NO
I have a SC10 RTR brushlesss too. The ESC is calibrated at the factory for Lipo's. Just make sure your transmitter's TH.ATV is set on max if it's not as fast as you think it should be.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Depending on the quality of your Nimh battery, you may see a pretty nice increase in power. Run time is where you're going to be amazed. That's the main advantage of Lipo, as well as the ability to not lose power over time like a nimh battery.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Hey, Thanks for all the info/help! I believe I got it figured out and it's faster now

I bought a Duratrax Onyx 230 charger and I had to program for battery the first time I didn't do it right, I guess. Now after good charge and proper calibration it's pretty fast. I only have one issue it studdered a little a couple times when on the throttle and when it hit ground after jump but then it seemed to go away. Anyway this truck handles great on asphalt but my local track is clay and wet so I stayed away with this truck. I did take my Slayer PRO 4x4 out for a few tanks and it's a handfull, but didn't check mesh and spun a spur gear. My LHS is a hour trip! One more thing whats the best upgrades/parts to improve strength/toughness and handling for SC10 and ROAR SC racing and still be legal? THANKS AGAIN!