Wiki Posts
Search

2s Lipo vs. nickel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2s Lipo vs. nickel

I have an SC10 FT. I am running 5000mah nickel batteries. I have the Castle SCT system. how much more power would I see from a 2s lipo than I would with the nickel batteries? also what difference in run time would I expect?

also, there are some 5000mah 2s lipos at Hobby King for under $30. are these the "cheap" lipos I have been warned about?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
I have an SC10 FT. I am running 5000mah nickel batteries. I have the Castle SCT system. how much more power would I see from a 2s lipo than I would with the nickel batteries? also what difference in run time would I expect?

also, there are some 5000mah 2s lipos at Hobby King for under $30. are these the "cheap" lipos I have been warned about?
How many cell NimH batteries are you running? Either way, you can't really
lose out going lipo. They offer much better run time, no power loss over time, and seem a bit more powerful, honestly. 3S lipos are ridiculous and you'd definitely notice a difference there.

Do not hesitate to buy from Hobby King. Time after time, they've proven to be a great battery. I actually run some of their batteries in my 8th scale electric buggy, and they perform just as well as the top name brand lipos I have used. However, be careful with buying any Hong Kong lipo from eBay. Those are not too good from what I hear.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

I am running Duratrax 6 cell NiMH 5000 mah batteries. I cant complain, they work well. My friend and his wife came over for dinner and he was showing me the $25 lipos on Hobby King website. I have been warned about using cheap lipos, they go bad, overheat, catch fire etc.

My Castle SCT system is not supposed to run more than 2s lipo, so thats what Im wondering about.

I know that I would have full power for the duration of the run, but would it be that much more powerfull?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

I am running Duratrax 6 cell NiMH 5000 mah batteries. I cant complain, they work well. My friend and his wife came over for dinner and he was showing me the $25 lipos on Hobby King website. I have been warned about using cheap lipos, they go bad, overheat, catch fire etc.

My Castle SCT system is not supposed to run more than 2s lipo, so thats what Im wondering about.

I know that I would have full power for the duration of the run, but would it be that much more powerfull?
Over a 6 cell, yes. I'd say you'll probably notice a bit more power. Run time will be increased. Like I said, Hobbyking is a trusted website. They are cheap, but for the price are unbeatable. I ran 4 of their 4S lipos this past season and didn't have a problem with them.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Apart from the obvious weight difference. Much of the Lipo vs NiMH debate is to do with voltage drop under load. Whilst a 2s lipo and 6cell NiMH are similar in nominal voltage. The lipo's voltage will not drop nearly as much as the NiMH under load. What this translates to is the car having more "punch" and more speed all round.
Lipos need more TLC, and can only be charged using a Lipo specific charger. so you might need to factor this into your budget as well.
The CC system you're using is setup pretty safe out of the box, but if you want to be extra careful, you can use the castle link and software to set it a little higher (3.3v/cell)
Lipo mfg is getting pretty good these days and unless you're going for 50C of higher packs, then you're pretty safe with any brand. But I can't see why you would not buy from hobbyking. They're about as cheap as Lipos get.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i personally have 7 of hobby king's 4000 lipo hard case batteries and they are simple amazing for the money. I think between 4 of us at our club we have about 30 of these total. I have only had 1 personally fail on me and it was due to abuse and everyone else has had 0 problems. We've been running them for nearly 1 year.
I will reccomend them time and time again for those who are looking for a good inexpensive battery. Keep an eye on their website and try and order from the USA wareshouse while they have them in stock. It's about a 2.5 week wait if they ship from china.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

I have the new Titan charger, has lipo charging capabilities with lipo balancer etc. I bought this beause I knew I would eventually go to lipo

I have the castle link and I have explored the settings a little bit, I know I have to set the cutoff etc.

I hear people saying always go with the highest C rating you can. is there "too much" for the SCT system?

my main concern is buying a crappy battery. Id rather save a bit more to get quality, but I do hear good things about HK. I dont have a lot of money, and I was carefull with my purchases, got what i wanted etc and I dont want to put it at risk with inferior batteries.

thanks for your help so far.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RAPER
i personally have 7 of hobby king's 4000 lipo hard case batteries and they are simple amazing for the money. I think between 4 of us at our club we have about 30 of these total. I have only had 1 personally fail on me and it was due to abuse and everyone else has had 0 problems. We've been running them for nearly 1 year.
I will reccomend them time and time again for those who are looking for a good inexpensive battery. Keep an eye on their website and try and order from the USA wareshouse while they have them in stock. It's about a 2.5 week wait if they ship from china.

thank you for your input.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

I have the new Titan charger, has lipo charging capabilities with lipo balancer etc. I bought this beause I knew I would eventually go to lipo

I have the castle link and I have explored the settings a little bit, I know I have to set the cutoff etc.

I hear people saying always go with the highest C rating you can. is there "too much" for the SCT system?

my main concern is buying a crappy battery. Id rather save a bit more to get quality, but I do hear good things about HK. I dont have a lot of money, and I was carefull with my purchases, got what i wanted etc and I dont want to put it at risk with inferior batteries.

thanks for your help so far.
That's good that you considering buying name brand stuff. Never skimp out on cheap electronics. I go by that rule as well. Money is an issue for me as well, being only 16 and trying to run 2 classes racing can be costly. Check the search bar at the top, and you can go through these forums and find many, many good reviews on Hobbyking Lipos. Like I said, normally I would NOT buy a cheap lipo, but this is definitely an exception. I felt confident of putting them in my 1/8th scale electric vehicles and ran them many times each race day and didn't have any problems. As a matter of fact, I had more ESC and Motor failures than battery failures from brands such as Tekin and Castle!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

thank you Tyler.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

im thinking this would be good for my application?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14317
Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

im thinking this would be good for my application?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14317
Perfect! Hardcase is always a great plus.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I recommend Blue lipos from hobbypartz. I got my 2S 4000 mah 30C batteries for $20 each with free shipping and got them in about 2-3 days.

They are the same batteries as HK, I believe, just already shipped over so it's faster shipping to you.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 2s lipo and a 8.4v nimh battery and the 2s is a much better performer along with twice the run time
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I did not see what you will be running it in. But be carefull ordering from hobbycity/hobbyking. The wires exit the packs a inconvenient locations sometimes. Don't hesitate, they are reputable and a great deal. Just make sure the wires will work for your application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.