R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Lipos need more TLC, and can only be charged using a Lipo specific charger. so you might need to factor this into your budget as well.
Huh? In which alternate universe? I balance charge my LiPos, run them, and when I'm done I storage them and put them away again until next time. I had to run NiMh saddles this week for a class we haven't run in a long time. I had to soft charge them, discharge, tray EQ, then peak them, and cycle several times to get them ready. Then, at the track, there's the damnable wait for them to cool completely so you can recharge and run again. And if you store them for a bit, you have to pull them out and add some charge occasionally, then if I want to use them again I have to go through the whole process again. Go LiPo and don't look back.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

Definitely recommend switching to Lipo and follow recommendations to use a charger intended for them.
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
I did not see what you will be running it in. But be carefull ordering from hobbycity/hobbyking. The wires exit the packs a inconvenient locations sometimes. Don't hesitate, they are reputable and a great deal. Just make sure the wires will work for your application.

thanks for the heads up. Its a FT SC10, looks like the wires are right where they need to be.
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Tech Regular

last question.

right now my NiMH give me 20-30 minutes run time, depending how much time I spend upside down can I expect at least 30 minutes from the lipo?

also, charging at 5 amps, it takes about 60 minutes to charge the NiMH from completely dead to full. is the charge time for lipo's comparible?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T. Herwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
last question.

right now my NiMH give me 20-30 minutes run time, depending how much time I spend upside down can I expect at least 30 minutes from the lipo?

also, charging at 5 amps, it takes about 60 minutes to charge the NiMH from completely dead to full. is the charge time for lipo's comparible?
If the lipo is equivelant "mah" then you will see more run time for sure. It will be close, but I'm pretty sure you can hit 30 minutes. Just like your nimh batteries, at 5 amps, it will take 60 minutes as well. Just make sure you don't run a LiPo completely dead. Make sure your LvC is set.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Most LiPo should be charged at 1C, so whatever capacity you have, figure on about an hour if they're drained completely. Which, for LiPo means usually no less than 3.3V/cell. Charge time varies a little, because your charger will slow waaay down as you get close to peak voltage (that's normal, it's supposed to) If your speedo doesn't have a LiPo cutoff, you need to buy an external one, because it you over-discharge you can ruin batteries or worse. And if your charger doesn't have a balancer, get one of those too. General rule of thumb is to store your packs about 1/2 capacity. If your charger has a storage charge function, use it. If not, you can charge/discharge to about 3.85V/cell. Best bet is to follow the battery manufacturer's instructions for charging and storage, but if they don't have any, follow those general guidelines. LiPo's are really simple to use and maintain, that's why I was surprised to see someone say they took so much TLC?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
Tech Regular

i can program the cutoff with my castle link.

great information, thank you everyone
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
I am running Duratrax 6 cell NiMH 5000 mah batteries. I cant complain, they work well. My friend and his wife came over for dinner and he was showing me the $25 lipos on Hobby King website. I have been warned about using cheap lipos, they go bad, overheat, catch fire etc.

My Castle SCT system is not supposed to run more than 2s lipo, so thats what Im wondering about.

I know that I would have full power for the duration of the run, but would it be that much more powerfull?
It's funny that I have 4 brushess systems and NOT ONE HAS FAILED.
Why because Ive never used lipo's. Call me crazy but you dont need
Lipo to keep up with everyone else it's all driving skill.
Yeah If I was a hardcore basher
that wanted to do ballistic speed runs then yeah, Id probably go
ahead and go Lipo. Ive been waiting for other technologies to kick in.
I have seen too many Lipo's catch fire, too many ESC's go up in smoke..
But people dont realize it was the BATTERY that caused that to happen.
Lipo's have to be balanced, every cell has to be above 3V or it's toast.
You can deep discharge a Nimh and be ok as long as you charge it right
after. Do a Lipo like that and be prepared for fire...
I actually dont want them in my house.