Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need some info on a Team Associated RC10. >

Need some info on a Team Associated RC10.

Need some info on a Team Associated RC10.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need some info on a Team Associated RC10.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right area, but I picked up a Team Associated RC10 Off-Road Car Kit. In browsing Ebay and researching on Google, it appears to be a "Gold Pan." Unfortunately, I know nothing about this hobby. I would like to test the guy out, but I'm not sure what the next step is.

There are three large batteries, one labeled "Panasonic 1200 mAh(?) Nominal." Without a remote, would I be able to test whether these batteries hold a charge and whether the RC powers on? As far as remotes go, I came across this site by searching for the receiver in my RC, which is a Futaba FP-R2GS. Apparently, the FP-T 2F was sold with this receiver, and there is a user on this site who has one for sale. Would this be a good match for my car? I apologize for the long post, and I hope this is the correct area!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow! That's an oldie for sure. I had a gold pan rc in 1985 or so. Not sure what your planning on doing with it but, I wouldn't get to crazy w/ it.

I'd assume the batteries are dead.

I got one running this summer for a friend of mine. I used a bunch of stock (new rtr) stuff I had lying around.

I would look around for a vintage rc section as well.

WHat do you want to do w/ it? Race? Run in the street and yard?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I've never owned one before, so I'd like to get it up and running first and foremost. If it's as powerful as it looks, it'd just be fun to mess around with in the front yard. My initial purpose for purchasing it was simply to resell, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A radio that would go with that receiver would be a Futaba 2PKA (Magnum junior) 2P (magnum sport). Since those are vintage you may struggle to find one cheap.

As for the batteries, they are probably shot after 25 years.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Don't mess with that old crap. For some reason, people think the old vintage cars are like gold, or hold some sort of nostalgic value. It is an rc car, not a 69 camaro. Anyhoo, save yourself the trouble and just get a used B4 or something if you want a buggy. You can get them for cheap used, and you will be able to find parts easily. With that RC10, break a part, good luck trying to find a replacement.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Vintage RC10's are indeed cool, but also not the thing I would recommend for someone new to the hobby. Sourcing parts, finding set-ups, all that is pretty difficult with an obsolete platform (and can be expensive). Don't get me wrong, I love me a gold pan, but those are 20 years old or more. Venture into this with something current and readily available.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Old RC10's are way cool and actually run surprisingly well but the advice in the last few posts is good, if you're starting out it's better to do so with something your local hobby shop can get parts for. The good news is that right now people are clamoring for vintage cars so you should be able to sell the old car for enough to get into a new car.

Throw away the batteries, charging them could be dangerous at this point. Rechargable batteries have poor shelf life.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a great source of info for all things "Vintage RC10"...

http://www.rc10talk.com/
Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of the input. I will toss the batteries when I get home. Two of the three were wrapped heavily in electrical tape, so I figured they were probably useless. I picked up the RC10 at a local thrift store and wanted to test it out before making any decisions. However, now that I know how big of a project and possible money pit this guy could be, my best bet would be to sell.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oliade677
Thanks for all of the input. I will toss the batteries when I get home. Two of the three were wrapped heavily in electrical tape, so I figured they were probably useless. I picked up the RC10 at a local thrift store and wanted to test it out before making any decisions. However, now that I know how big of a project and possible money pit this guy could be, my best bet would be to sell.
oh man. Clean it up, flip it on ebay labelled as "Vintage RC10 gold pan, gold tub", etc... you'll do ok I think.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

They're great collectible cars but I wouldn't recommend using it as something to get into the hobby. If you want to bash, get something like a Traxxas Slash, if you want to race get a SC10 or XXX-SCT.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

If I had the know-how and money to fix him up, I most definitely would. It looks like a pretty cool buggy. Finding out the price of remotes should've been my first warning sign, though. Hopefully someone will fix it up, or at least display it proudly.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seth556
They're great collectible cars but I wouldn't recommend using it as something to get into the hobby. If you want to bash, get something like a Traxxas Slash, if you want to race get a SC10 or XXX-SCT.
+1

I have one myself but dont plan on driving it again anytime soon.
Im too afraid something is gonna break on it then Im stumped on ebay for parts. Definitly not a good idea.
If you want a 2wd buggy to race get the B4.1.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You can replace the radio system for $20 or so. It's definitely runnable, but please don't hurt it too badly. I built one up to race, but I'm still sad to see if get beaten up.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

+1 on the suggestion to NOT drive it, or just sell it. Gold pan RC10s are really for people that like the nostalgia aspect of having one but have other cars to drive, or for those racing vintage classes and have parts available. I just recently bought my uncle's original gold pan for nostalgia reasons, but after putting a new body on it with retro paint job I probably wont drive it. I've got other cars to drive and not care about breaking. It'll just sit and look cool.

Speaking of; I posted this http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tage-rc10.html this morning about gold pans on ebay. Even my uncle had the thought that perhaps his stuff could still be used now, or that the 30 year old MRC charger was still worth something. I'm curious what you paid for it at a thrift shop? I gave my uncle $75 for all his stuff, including an old magnum junior and novak 4 esc. I think that was probably a good deal. You see a lot of buyers asking $$$$ on ebay for the same car in worse condition. Sell it, make some $$ and buy a fun current one from the forums hear or your LHS. Lots of support here to help you figure it all out too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.