Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2x2s in series vs 4s

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 2x2s in series vs 4s

is there a loss of efficiency in running 2 2s packs in series vs a straight 4s pack or do they run exactly the same? (assuming 5000mah, 40c, in each)

I will be running a tekin rx8 with 1900kv tekin motor in a mbx6 eco (not saddle pack configured) and I was wondering if i buy a few of the hard case 2s if they would be same in a series because i could use them for an SCT if i decide to get one in the future... the weight and size difference between 2x2s and 4s is barely noticeable so I am just wondering if theres a difference in performance between the two set ups...?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is no difference in the way they run.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

is there a difference in how they charge?

can i charge them in a series or do I need to charge them individually? and if i have to charge them individually does the 2c pack take half the time to charge as a 4c pack?

lol... sorry for the noob questions... switched from nitro to electric for this season and have everything but the batteries already ordered... just trying to figure out the final piece of the puzzle
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Here is a good page to get started with some basic info.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

This guy is a frequent flyer at rcgroups and the info is very good.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deucedeuce
is there a difference in how they charge?

can i charge them in a series or do I need to charge them individually? and if i have to charge them individually does the 2c pack take half the time to charge as a 4c pack?

lol... sorry for the noob questions... switched from nitro to electric for this season and have everything but the batteries already ordered... just trying to figure out the final piece of the puzzle
You can do it either way, individually or charge them together (in parallel). A lipo takes about 1hr to charge regardless of the cell count, so a 2S or 4S will take about an hour for either to charge.

The prob in charging them in series is the balancing. Serial balancing can be tricky and its easy to short the lipos thru the balance wires. That prob is eliminated with parallel charging. Especially now with things like the Paraboard, its just plug in and set up charger and charge.