Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best SCT to make into clay slicks? >

Best SCT to make into clay slicks?

Best SCT to make into clay slicks?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Default Best SCT to make into clay slicks?

I'm thinking Panthers in Clay/pink compound.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...k-Tires-Clay-2

or Pather Supersoft with molded foam
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...m-Super-Soft-2

Obviously for Mod SCT class. Cold, wet, clay that clogs up AKA Wishbones.

Think AKA SS ground down would have too stiff foam?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how do you make the tires into slicks? Just curious because I have some worn out tires that I would like to try this with.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

those will work. Have you tryed Proline M3 bowties. I have great success with these tires and they last a long time.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
those will work. Have you tryed Proline M3 bowties. I have great success with these tires and they last a long time.
I have a set of bowties laying around. M3 I think. I may try those since they are obsolete on dirt.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
Sorry if this is a noob question, but how do you make the tires into slicks? Just curious because I have some worn out tires that I would like to try this with.

Thanks
You can turn them into slicks by continually running them. You don't have to buy them as slicks. The closet things are probably the AKA Wishbones.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post

Thanks
Cut all the knobs off, put a long screw through the wheels axles hole use a couple nuts to secure the wheel.

Chuck it into a drill or something that spins. File the tire down real thin while it spins. I guess.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
You can turn them into slicks by continually running them. You don't have to buy them as slicks. The closet things are probably the AKA Wishbones.
I tried that. Old tires get worn uneven and they're usually all stretched out and torn up from multiple foam refills.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

I made some slicks out of AKA Enduros.

I cut all the knobs off first and took it to some sand paper to finish it off.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is something I've been working on - today, actually. I'm getting tires ready for my XXX SCT.

Our track allows slicks on SCT's. We generally run slicks on most vehicles when the track conditions are ideal.

This first picture is the new Losi Eclipse SCT tire that comes in the box of the XXX SCT. These are actually for our Stock SCT class for my dad's truck. He is going to run the stock class. Our track rule is that you must run one of the "stock" tires that comes on the production SCT trucks as they come out of the box. You can, however, make them into slicks. If nothing else, it shows the process. I nipped each of the nubs off with a pair of lexan scissors. The tires on the left are at that stage. I make my slicks with a dremel and a sanding drum. The finished results are the tires on the right.

As for my truck, SCT tires in a clay style compound are a little hard to find right now. I'm running in the Mod SCT class at our track. I was able to find some Proline Suburbs in the MC compound. I've actually never even tried the MC compound. They are mounted with the new Proline closed cell SCT foam. This foam actually comes with the tires which is nice. This foam seems to have a great shape for slicks and the right firmness for our track. No nipping will be necessary. I will dremel these next the same way I did the Eclipses.

I can report back and let you know how the Eclipses run as slicks. I'm guessing they may be pretty good in mod as well.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

dont mean to sound like newb but what is the pros of running slicks on clay
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjoe99 View Post
dont mean to sound like newb but what is the pros of running slicks on clay
It's just the best tire for our surface. Sometimes, when the track dries a little, especially if the weather is very cold and we can't get as much water into the surface, then we have to run a ground down Pink Taper Pin or BK Bar type tire. Tread becomes important. When the temps are a little better and the track is the right moisture, slicks will generate "wheelie-popping" traction. Then it becomes a whole new ball game with preventing traction rolls and wheelies. You have to do it, though, because the traction makes you so much faster...