Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR has banned a sct tire that's barely released

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
It would be scale because everything would be 1/10 of the real truck - the truck would weigh about 500lbs, with the current proportions, and about 85hp. Obviously that's not feasible, but that's true "scale."
Originally Posted by tschenck
The car is 3 dimensional so your numbers are totally off. Think 1/1000th of the real car.
Originally Posted by carcrusher46
Uhm, it's 1/10 the height, 1/10 the length, and 1/10 the width - there's your 3 dimensions. 1/1000 of the volume would be mathematically correct.
I think you get it now but your original post was totally off. So 1/1000th of weight and hp too(included original message since you must of forgotten the numbers you wrote).
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

SC has become a joke in general. I don't see this class taking over Stadium Trucks.

I don't see why it matters. People don't run "box stock" classes at my track because that became a full racer class. No one could show up with a truely box stock truck truck and think of being competetive.

When it became unpopular to run box stock all the bashers started running open SC. Very few racers run open SC at my track, hell I've ran my sc10 3 times since I've bought it.

Racers end up running truck, buggy or wheeler.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aradaiel
SC has become a joke in general. I don't see this class taking over Stadium Trucks.

I don't see why it matters. People don't run "box stock" classes at my track because that became a full racer class. No one could show up with a truely box stock truck truck and think of being competetive.

When it became unpopular to run box stock all the bashers started running open SC. Very few racers run open SC at my track, hell I've ran my sc10 3 times since I've bought it.

Racers end up running truck, buggy or wheeler.
Ya this class will never take off
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aradaiel
You have a better chance of showing up to a track and having a class for SCT than you do stadium truck.

That does not mean this class is not a joke though. It started as a great basher first timer class and is struggling to loose this status. The class allows people to drive like hacks and just shrug it off. "It has full fenders, rubbing is racing"

Shunning tires that will improve the handling but are not "scale" is going to keep SCT in the basher realm. I do not understand the thinking behind trying to preserve the bad habits of something. These are race trucks scale or not you tweak and tune to make faster laps. You can allow this to happen or watch the real racers move on to a different class. This might be what a lot of people want since it means to win they just have to stick with it vs actually improve something about their driving or truck. They will be winning since the better drivers move on to something else.

Honestly the whole keeping things scale argument is pointless until these trucks have solid axles in the rear. We are already racing buggies and ST with just a bigger body.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Its a good thing that its a joke, at least there is one class where people know how to have fun.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RCHR
Its a good thing that its a joke, at least there is one class where people know how to have fun.
Best post in this whole thread.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RCHR
I totally agree with this post. It is not about how deep your pockets are, it is about how much fun you can have.

SC is the first class that I have seen where the racers do not think this class will get them to the Daytona 500.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris K

OR fortunately - depending on your prespective I guess...
]
Nah, unfortunately, due to their reactive nature. If you want to legislate, then be proactive, set the rules then sit back and enjoy the results. If (i.e. ESC timing) something crops up that you don't like, and it's legal as per your rules, then suck it up sunshine, you failed to frame the regulations properly. By all means change the rules, but do it properly, don't change mid season (luckily ROARS rules do take time to filter across to other bodies), in fact propose the rule, continue with the status quo for the current an following year to allow time for reasoned debate, then have a member wide vote on the changes.

ROAR also seem to have a bit of thing re: "Scale" - they use it as an excuse for banning things they don't like i.e.

(a) Cab forward bodies - these are far more to scale than the currently legal bodies, but not so according to ROAR.

(b) Wide (proline V3) tyres. How many real buggies do you see with the rear rims the same size as the front? Instead of banning them, just restrict their use to the rears. They last longer, give better traction and look more realistic than 2 same size pair.

[b]
Oh comon, you really don't expect the ROAR detractors to actually become INFORMED do you??? That would involve reading and retention and stuff like that.....]

I read your red post and noticed you couldn't spell come on - glass houses ....

[b]
I think as Rich Howhart mentioned earlier - it's a resentment of authority in general. AND probably (my thought) a bit of basher mentality included!]

No, its an indication of free thinking intelligence, not slavishly following rules because they're, um the freakin rules ok!

[b]
Isn't THAT amazing - professional drivers!!! They RACE what they RACE without whining about the rules and rely on their abilities to get them to the top.... Whatta' freakin' concept!!!!]

Pay anyone to participate in their chosen hobby and if they are true professionals they'll shut up and toe the party line! In private they may express differing opinions, but they know who butters their bread, so in public the bosses opinion is absolute truth.

[b]
Nail hit squarely on HEAD!!!!!]

And I reiterate that ROAR rules have a habit of finding their way into other bodies rule books, so unfortuntely your hitting one nail into a large board.

[b]
I totally agree; but we're in the MINORITY here - and sadly I think there's a lot who really don't care abou the 'big picture' as much as they do about their ability and opportunity to 'spew'.....
1. How do they look stupid if your running shiny side up, rubbing doors with your competition?
2. The "Big Picture" - 1 or 2 set of fronts - makes it cheaper for all.
3. You may consider yourself and your regulators as the be all and end all of the hobby, but in reality it's the guys on here bitching about these new regulations that are in the majority.

Last edited by Smokeyr67; 01-01-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: HTML
Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Pretty good read so far,

Been thinking about going back for some 1/10th racing. Seems that with changes to rules topics such as this always seem to arise. Does make me think of many things over the years that have fallen into the same discussions. I don't always agree with what ROAR sets for rules, but do try to understand them. I think in this case ROAR is attempting to be more "Proactive". This to me should be a good thing, and I hope that it means that the powers that be are now looking to take steps in the right direction. I didn't and don't really want to go with the SC class for the reason that I don't prefer that way that are, but there is no doubt that the class is a popular class with racers of all skill levels. I would suspect that it may at some point become the truck class to run vs. the ST class.

It is what it is I guess. I would like to see a more uniform rule set used at more tracks. I think that would help in many ways. Kind of along the line of the way it used to be. For whatever reason, many tracks don't follow the ROAR rules to a "T", and that is ok. I do think that many tracks use the ROAR rules as a guideline for what they need. Let's face it, a lot of the grunt work has already been done by ROAR with class rules and for better or worse it is the standard to which many tracks base their rules from. I do think there are a couple of Series that seem to have a little better standard rule set in place that is pretty uniform at more of a "club" level. The Pro Series and JBRL comes to mind. Racers that run in one or both series know the deal and it doesn't change much from track to track in the series. I would hope that ROAR sees that and may be looking for some fresh ideas that can be used on their end. Just a thought.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I agree with this 100%! I just picked up a XXX-SCT and I think the OEM tire it ships with needs to go as well. This class is popular because it represents a vehicle everyone can relate to.

If I want to run a scale looking vehicle, why should I go grab an airplane? I want to run a Pro 2/4 truck and I want it to resemble the real thing. I wish every track would adopt this tire rule. Has nothing to do with performance or cost for me, only the scale appearance.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
If I want to run a scale looking vehicle, why should I go grab an airplane? I want to run a Pro 2/4 truck and I want it to resemble the real thing. I wish every track would adopt this tire rule. Has nothing to do with performance or cost for me, only the scale appearance.
What is the scale tire version of Pro 2/4 truck? They have unlimited tire tread options. They can run any tread(they cut and create) they want as long as the tire is no larger than 35" diameter and meets a certain width. Seems like ROAR's rules are a little off since we are stuck using production tires and cannot cut them for track conditions.

TORC tire rules:

33. TIRES
A. Only one tire per axle wheel position is permitted.
B. Class PRO 2WD and PRO 4X4 will be allowed to use either D.O.T. or “project tires”. The
maximum tire size will be 35 x 12.50/17. Minimum air pressure at the starting line will be 13.0 psi.
Maximum tread width is 10.20”. The maximum tread width will be measured from the
outermost edges of the tread block on a new tire. If after competition the material used to
support the sides of the tread block enters the tread width, allowances will be made providing
the design is not intended to circumvent the rule.
Maximum section width is 13.20”. Section width will include any side blocks including
staggered side blocks. Maximum diameter is 35.0”. All measurements will be taken on a race
ready wheel at 13.0 psi. Maximum wheel size is 10.0” x 15”, 10.0” x 16” or 9.0” x 17”.
Minimum wheel backspacing will be 3.75”.
All inspections will be with TORC/USAC “Go-No-Go” gauges. Race vehicles may be
measured pre or post race.
All other classes must use D.O.T. tires. Sizes are mandated in each class’s general rules.
C. TORC Series definition of the term D.O.T. is as follows.
1. Must meet all D.O.T. guidelines and tests and be stamped accordingly.
2. Must be part of a full line of like tires available through retail dealers.
3. Must be readily available to the general public in quantity if requested.
4. Model of tire must be offered in multiple sizes and conform in size with industry standards.
5. Retail pricing must be competitive with other manufacturers of like tires.
6. Manufacturers wishing to compete in a D.O.T. Class must submit, no later than 60 days in
advance of the first competition:
a. Size or sizes of tires intending to use
b. Design measurements and weight of tire
c. Target design durameter of tire
d. Digital picture of tread area as molded
e. Sample catalog, listing intended tire
f. List of retail distributors where tire is available.
“One-off” or limited run tires will not be allowed. The maximum penalty for not conforming to
these rules will result in a DQ from the race as well as forfeiture of all driver and tire manufacturer
points.

Roar SCT tire rules:
Tires
Diameter mounted Minimum 106.68 (4.20 in)
Tire Width (Mounted) Maximum 46.99mm (1.85 in)
8.10.12.4 No tire tread cutting, bald tires or custom cut tires allowed.
8.10.12.6 Tire Mounted: Minimum Diameter of the tire (mounted) is established to limit extremely low profile designs. The target dimension (new tire) is established at 4.30 Inches. To compensate for wear, molding tolerances, degradation of foam inserts, the pre- race minimum allowable diameter of a mounted tire is 4.20 inches. Tracks and Promoters are encouraged to select a “Stated” tire that works best for their particular
location.

ROAR's rules are not very scale if we are trying to have a scale version of Pro 2/4
Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
You have a better chance of showing up to a track and having a class for SCT than you do stadium truck.
Obviously you don't race where I do.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Wow this is a serious case...

Proline and JConcepts should just give away those tires...
Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

do the tires really help in handling though? I know at one of the tracks I visit most don't use ribbed fronts on their 1/10th truck or buggy..anyway I personally couldn't care less about the ban side of it but I think ribs on a SCT does look pretty stupid
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
What is the scale tire version of Pro 2/4 truck? They have unlimited tire tread options. They can run any tread(they cut and create) they want as long as the tire is no larger than 35" diameter and meets a certain width. Seems like ROAR's rules are a little off since we are stuck using production tires and cannot cut them for track conditions.

TORC tire rules:

33. TIRES
A. Only one tire per axle wheel position is permitted.
B. Class PRO 2WD and PRO 4X4 will be allowed to use either D.O.T. or “project tires”. The
maximum tire size will be 35 x 12.50/17. Minimum air pressure at the starting line will be 13.0 psi.
Maximum tread width is 10.20”. The maximum tread width will be measured from the
outermost edges of the tread block on a new tire. If after competition the material used to
support the sides of the tread block enters the tread width, allowances will be made providing
the design is not intended to circumvent the rule.
Maximum section width is 13.20”. Section width will include any side blocks including
staggered side blocks. Maximum diameter is 35.0”. All measurements will be taken on a race
ready wheel at 13.0 psi. Maximum wheel size is 10.0” x 15”, 10.0” x 16” or 9.0” x 17”.
Minimum wheel backspacing will be 3.75”.
All inspections will be with TORC/USAC “Go-No-Go” gauges. Race vehicles may be
measured pre or post race.
All other classes must use D.O.T. tires. Sizes are mandated in each class’s general rules.
C. TORC Series definition of the term D.O.T. is as follows.
1. Must meet all D.O.T. guidelines and tests and be stamped accordingly.
2. Must be part of a full line of like tires available through retail dealers.
3. Must be readily available to the general public in quantity if requested.
4. Model of tire must be offered in multiple sizes and conform in size with industry standards.
5. Retail pricing must be competitive with other manufacturers of like tires.
6. Manufacturers wishing to compete in a D.O.T. Class must submit, no later than 60 days in
advance of the first competition:
a. Size or sizes of tires intending to use
b. Design measurements and weight of tire
c. Target design durameter of tire
d. Digital picture of tread area as molded
e. Sample catalog, listing intended tire
f. List of retail distributors where tire is available.
“One-off” or limited run tires will not be allowed. The maximum penalty for not conforming to
these rules will result in a DQ from the race as well as forfeiture of all driver and tire manufacturer
points.

Roar SCT tire rules:
Tires
Diameter mounted Minimum 106.68 (4.20 in)
Tire Width (Mounted) Maximum 46.99mm (1.85 in)
8.10.12.4 No tire tread cutting, bald tires or custom cut tires allowed.
8.10.12.6 Tire Mounted: Minimum Diameter of the tire (mounted) is established to limit extremely low profile designs. The target dimension (new tire) is established at 4.30 Inches. To compensate for wear, molding tolerances, degradation of foam inserts, the pre- race minimum allowable diameter of a mounted tire is 4.20 inches. Tracks and Promoters are encouraged to select a “Stated” tire that works best for their particular
location.

ROAR's rules are not very scale if we are trying to have a scale version of Pro 2/4
Nice job on the research. How many ribbed fronts or fuzzy rears have you seen on them? Scale appearance is what they're after and it is the sole reason this class is popular. What possible reason is there to change the tires? There wont be any advantage as everyone will run the same thing. Your lap times might go down but so will everyone elses. There is nothing to be gained but there is plenty to lose by making the switch (ie the class).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.