Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
To Slash 4x4 or not to Slash 4x4, that is the question..... >

To Slash 4x4 or not to Slash 4x4, that is the question.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Slash 4x4 or not to Slash 4x4, that is the question.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default To Slash 4x4 or not to Slash 4x4, that is the question.....

Allright, my OCD is driving me bat ass crazy trying to decide if I should or should not buy a Slash 4x4 Ultimate to complement my already awesome Savage Flux that I love dearly.

The problem is that with me free time when im not working with my job and trying to get over my rebound with a failed 5 year relationship, I really need to get off the computer and xbox and get outside to take my mind of thinking about stuff.

I've been struggling with what I could do to help fill up my free time. I've been thinking about a Slash 4x4 for some time before this. In case you didn't know, I ABSOLUTELY HATE getting my Flux wet or muddy. I'm just genetically built to be anal about my things and I hate having to clean up my stuff from running in wet weather no matter how much fun is. It also doesn't help that the Flux isn't a cheap RC vehicle and wasn't designed to handle wet driving conditions.

I've been watching vids of Slash 4x4 in snow, rain, puddles for months now on youtube and im pretty impressed with the durability of the electronics and amazingly enough, the truck itself under sever driving conditions. The fact that the Slash 4x4 is designed to be waterproof makes me more willing to "push the envelope" with one vs with my Flux.

However, I still have a poor taste in my mouth with Traxxas products after my Revo 3.3 nearly 4 years ago. The thing was a complete PITA to work on as well as just being unreliable in all area's, especially diffs and quality. I basically all but swore off ever buying a traxxas product again after that.

But after not only seeing how popular and insanely fast the Slash and SC market has become in the last few years, this weekend I got to watch my guys at the LHS drive around a Slash 4x4 along with two blitz and and a 2wd Slash in our cold weather conditions and in the snow on a small track. I was simply amazed at how freaking fast, agile and smooth the Slash 4x4 zipped along the icy track, it almost like poetry in motion, epecially in comparison to the 2wd SC trucks.

Anyway, i'm almost ready to pull a $475 good or bad idea. I"m a sucker for having all the bling and upgrades out the box, so I want the 4x4 Ultimate but I have a few questions just to make sure I really wanna do this.

1. What are some absolute durability upgrades I should do to the Slash 4x4? I do wanna jump and bash with the thing in a variety of conditions. I already want to purchase an outerwears cover for the chassis to help keep crud out, but what else should I do besides RPM arms to strengthen the Slash to help bash like my Flux can?

2. What are some particular weak spots of the Traxxas Slash 4x4 I need to be aware of that may end up costing me out of my pocket more then I planned? I"m used to the bullet proof toughness of my Flux and I dunno if a Slash 4x4 can make me happy in that area. Am I expecting to much outa of a Traxxas product and or a Short course truck?

Thanks all for helping me make an informed decision on this.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Freezebyte; 12-28-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

You are gonna wanna get the king headz motor mount with the big bearing in it. There are also a few ways to go about sealing up the drive shaft hole. You may wanna check out the traxxas forums
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Personally for that amount of money I would be looking at a 1/8th scale E over the 4wd Slash. Good truck but for overall beating a 1/8th scale would live much longer.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The vxl kinda sucks too.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Mine is bone stock, and I beat the unholy hell out of mine. Regularly on 3s. Heres pictures from last year right after I got it, to yesterday.

LAST YEAR

Yesterday

I've snapped some drive shafts, stripped some spurs but thats about it. I've lifted off the ground also at around 50-60 with it also when the body catches air.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

lol, what temp does the motor and esc run at when covered in snow?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
lol, what temp does the motor and esc run at when covered in snow?
Thermal Efficiency.

hahaha, cool to the touch of course!

Theres a 3s lipo in both those pictures hiding.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't know which is funnier, picture 2, or 4. Regardless, they're both hilarious.

I found myself in a similar situation, looked much like the 4th picture, except it was mud.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

That 2nd pic had me ROLLIN!!! I've been too addicted to racing lately to mess with my 4x4 Slash but seeing that pic makes me wanna break it out again.

Seriously, I'd get the Platinum, not the Ultimate. The radio is not great and the battery is garbage. That's the only difference besides the painted body. You can buy the PE and a Traxxas 2.4 radio new or used all day anywhere for less than $50 and forget about the crap Nimh battery. that will save you $$$
First thing I'd do is dump the aluminum rear hubs. Get plastic ones, preferably Tekno shafts and hubs. Powerstroke shocks are a HUGE plus but not really necessary for bashing. They do make the truck look mean and ride nice though. I've got a used set for sale if you're interested.

This is about the only other thing I'd recommend and it's not required, just nice to have: http://www.rcdirectonline.com/produc...FLM-26200.html
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm seeing alot of peeps using deans instead of the TRX connectors. Any reasons why?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't feel like buying another radio and I like having a extra battery with the TRX connector already on so I don't have to redo my Lipos that have deans on them. If I end up not liking the truck, I can keep the overhead costs down from not having to buy a new radio and resoldering my lipo connectors