Search

Looking for advice on 1st 4wd buggy purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Looking for advice on 1st 4wd buggy purchase

Hello,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a 12 year absence. A lot of things have changed (Lipo, Brushless, and more brands making good vehicles). When I left the Hobby Losi was pretty much the main 4wd buggy out there with their belt drive system.

Now, it appears as if Kyosho makes a good product that is "accepted" as a racing vehicle, and there is Durango.

I always raced Losi, but a friend advised me against the belt drive system unless I was going to drive it on a track that is not very dusty. I built a track out behind our house and I will not be wetting it down all the time.

So, I want something to play around with and that I can take to a race track if I travel near somewhere that has one (we don't have one near where I live).

I'm looking for advice from people who have driven different brands of 4wd buggies and the differences between them. Is one brand typically more stable than others? Does one tend to break more parts?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

John
Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

B44.1 all the way
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the 44 is a good way to get back in. the main reason is its pretty durable and you can get parts about anywhere.
I have a b44 roller for sale if you are interested you can pm me.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I recently switched from a B44.1 to a DEX410 and absolutely love the Durango, due to it's performance, durability and more resemblance to a 1/8th scale platform (the car is nearly bullet proof).
There are so many great 4WD platforms available now, it's difficult to try and pick just one that is the best. They all have their terriffic performance characteristics and few faults. They are all capable of winning on the track at the highest levels.

When selecting your platform also, pay close attention to what electronics you'll need/want. The Durango has the least amount of chassis realestate, so smaller electronics (receiver) are almost a must and battery hieight of 25mm saddlepack is the max. I believe the other chassis are not limited by design.

A good Brushless and ESC setup with Lipo battery will set you up for success and have you running at home or on the track with very little maintenance needed. (I prefer Murfdogg Motors, www.murfdogg.com and a Tekin ESC www.teamtekin.com).

Any of the 2.4Ghz radio systems are more than capable of giving you trouble free operation and less of a hassle from back in the day when we had to use frequencies (Futaba, Spektrum, KO Propo, Airtronics).

I'd recommend checking out the different manufacturers 4WD specific threads in RCTech, to gain more info/preferences on each chassis to gain a better perspective before choosing.
Hope this assists you in returning to the hobby and enjoying RC!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justicepool
Hello,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a 12 year absence. A lot of things have changed (Lipo, Brushless, and more brands making good vehicles). When I left the Hobby Losi was pretty much the main 4wd buggy out there with their belt drive system.

Now, it appears as if Kyosho makes a good product that is "accepted" as a racing vehicle, and there is Durango.

I always raced Losi, but a friend advised me against the belt drive system unless I was going to drive it on a track that is not very dusty. I built a track out behind our house and I will not be wetting it down all the time.

So, I want something to play around with and that I can take to a race track if I travel near somewhere that has one (we don't have one near where I live).

I'm looking for advice from people who have driven different brands of 4wd buggies and the differences between them. Is one brand typically more stable than others? Does one tend to break more parts?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

John
You might want to consider an 1/8th scale 4wd buggy. They are a little more money, but much more durable and faster.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

B44
Kyosho ZX-5 FS
Durango 410
Caster Racing has one out too now.

These are probably the most popular. There are others out as well, but any of the above are good on the track and fun to play with as long as you aren't jumping houses and suck. B44 has the best parts availability.