Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Nitro Vs. Electric >

Nitro Vs. Electric

Nitro Vs. Electric

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Nitro Vs. Electric

Has anyone started out with a Nitro Car and Switched over to a Electric if so please tell me why you went to Electric

Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I ran nitro for 4 years, then decided to go indoor onroad racing last year and have slowly been converting most of my cars to electric. I still love nitro offroad but the electrics are so forgiving, and 2wd short course is one of the funnest classes I have ever ran. I just like the fact that im not always chasing a tune, the humidity is horrible here and tunes change rapidly. Switching to electric has taken the hassle out of racing, and made it a little more enjoyable for me at least.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by low_dakota94
I ran nitro for 4 years, then decided to go indoor onroad racing last year and have slowly been converting most of my cars to electric. I still love nitro offroad but the electrics are so forgiving, and 2wd short course is one of the funnest classes I have ever ran. I just like the fact that im not always chasing a tune, the humidity is horrible here and tunes change rapidly. Switching to electric has taken the hassle out of racing, and made it a little more enjoyable for me at least.
i so argee
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I still have my Nitro's. But my Brushless Exceed RC never breaks or experiences any troubles.

No need to buy Nitro, or any other maintenance parts.

Thats why down the road, the Ofna Lx comp is getting a brushless conversion.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by K-Train
I still have my Nitro's. But my Brushless Exceed RC never breaks or experiences any troubles.

No need to buy Nitro, or any other maintenance parts.

Thats why down the road, the Ofna Lx comp is getting a brushless conversion.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

I was awful at tuning, so after 2 nitros with pullstarts and countless times of bleeding hands on cooler days I switched to electric 1/8 with the apparition of the mamba monster, since then expanding to on road tc and 1/10 offroad and just loving it. I don't miss nitro one second, just love the plug n'play way of electric and the adjustability of speedos, no fumes and no sticky fuel on my chassis, only pure dirt.
Oh and of course for bashing, speed and torque are just insanely better with electric.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hoousi
I was awful at tuning, so after 2 nitros with pullstarts and countless times of bleeding hands on cooler days I switched to electric 1/8 with the apparition of the mamba monster, since then expanding to on road tc and 1/10 offroad and just loving it. I don't miss nitro one second, just love the plug n'play way of electric and the adjustability of speedos, no fumes and no sticky fuel on my chassis, only pure dirt.
Oh and of course for bashing, speed and torque are just insanely better with electric.
I think thats why we got out of nitro
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I swapped after many years. My son still has a nitro MBX5 that he loves to death, but he has switched everything else to electric. Less hassle and more time to enjoy talking to other racers and enjoying the day. Engine tuning is not needed. Added is that you can use the same cars and trucks either indoors or out. In the long run, I am happy I made the change.

Kevin
Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'm switching for the same reasons as the others. After several years of running nitro I could still be guaranteed that the nitro engines would be reliable and consistent and it would mess up races. That's gone with electric.

I will kind of miss the "golf buzz" of hitting the perfect tune and hearing the engine wind.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Same as others

1. Reliability & Simplicity
2. Power on Demand
3. Ease of maintenance at home, the track, parts in my box and carrying stuff around.
4. Increase focus on Driving rather than tuning (better lap times in the end with more practice under my belt each outing)
5. I can socialize at a track without screaming at my friends over a nitro engine or choking on fumes.
6. Price! Both in Parts going wrong and that a lipo will give you more cycles of runtime than 5-10 times as much nitro for the price.

I still run Nitro on occasion if they do not run other classes at some races but those are my reasons for loving electric.

Oh, BTW ran electric for years, then 5 years of nitro and now back to 2 years of Brushless lipo electric racing.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dreamer1985
Has anyone started out with a Nitro Car and Switched over to a Electric if so please tell me why you went to Electric

Thanks
I run both. I run electric more often. IME:

Electric:
-less stressful, I can relax
-cheaper when everything is tallied up at the end of the year
-easy to tune with a laptop, I rarely change settings
-good for club racing with smaller turnouts, no pit crew required
-ironicly catch on fire far more often than nitro
-short lame mains, no pit stops

Nitro:
-longer more intense mains
-fun pit stops (if you have a pit lane and a pit crew you trust)
-more fun, harder to drive
-need complex tuneing:clutch, pipe, glow plugs, carb.
-air filter is allways clogged with dirt
-they make thier own grease
-Only $300+ engines are reliable. Dont judge nitro untill you've used a proper engine like the Novarossi FMS, RB WS9, OS Vspec. Most are available broken in and tested from engine gurus everywhere.
-huge sense of accomplishment when everything comes together
-still the most challenging pinnacle of RC.

I see myself running Electric 80-90% of the time now. Bottom line, electric is more fun raceing with friends at smaller clubs. But for a real racing fix, nothing beats Nitro.

When/if 4-stroke engines become available, I run nitro again more often. Less tuning, better power, far beter fuel mileage. All my airplanes are 4 stroke nitro, or 2 stroke gasoline big 25-50cc monsters.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As some have already stated, electric is very easy to use compared to nitro. I just switched over for the winter to electric. After binding the my transmitter with the reciever and a few trim setting adjustments i was ready to jit the track!

I still love nitro and have some nice motors, Nova Rossi .28, & Rb c5. But with changing temps and humidity I;m always looking for a proper tune. Once set the motors are pretty much ready for the day but something always comes up. Like a dirty filter making the motor run hotter then need be or glow plug not working right. Hopefuly some day, some how nitro motors will have some type of efi or something to take some guess work out of it and make nitro more fun.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I race both, Nitro during good weather months and Electric during winter months and truly enjoy racing each of them. Nitro is more maintenance, but I like to work on the car as part of the hobby. Electric is pretty much plug and play, but to have a fully preparred car, some maintenance is still needed.