Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Regulating stock CORR class >

Regulating stock CORR class

Regulating stock CORR class

Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
Stock SCT in our area is much simpler and is one of the biggest classes.

1) Motor: Stock 27T Brushed or 17.5 Brushless or any other industry acceptable stock equivalent. SCT Kit Brushed Motors are also accepted(Some RTR vehicles have mild Mod motors and are not legal in stock classes.)
2) ESC: Any
3) Battery: 6-sub C cells any size. Lipo's 2S 7.4V limit
4) Chassis: Must be an original SCT chassis (Slash, SC10, UltimaSC, Blitz, etc)
5) Tires: Must be SCT specific 2.2/3.0 tires. no 8th Scale buggy wheels.

I'm very happy with these rules and love the competition with 20 other racers every other Satuday!!!
I race with him, The stock SCT is awesome. You have to be on your game. VERY competive with the ROAR base class. I do think that there are few that may push the limits. I run an older Lrp Brushless ESC with no timing advance or Boost. YA im not the fastest person in the heat, but I can be very consisent with my lap time beating those with alot more money in their electronics. For me I would trade off some speed for better driveability.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
This rule has gone over very well everywhere I've seen it initiated. RTR tires limit the truck but more importantly, they limit what a racer can spend being competitive (ditto removing the timing speed controls). SC tires and wheels are far more expensive than say, buggy tires. If the fastest tire wears fast a racer's choice it to continue dropping $$ on fresh tires or to race a correctly set up stock/spec class and really pit his skill against other racers, not wallet. These are the types of rule changes that are bringing stock racing back. Remember, 2 years ago when short course racing launched, it exploded in popularity because it was cheap, fun and simple. We've made the same mistakes with racing over and over since the beginning, it's nice to see tracks finally recognizing what makes it good and protecting it.

Maximum performance can always be searched out in the modified class, which ironically has been cheaper to run for the last 20 years.
My point is, changing the rules until you "think" you stand a better chance at winning, is no solution at all. The playing field is already level; anyone can buy any SCT style tire. Making your idea a rule means all the tires the guys were using become illegal, and they have to buy even more tires. Not only that, but you want them to switch to equipment that sucks?

Racing is about performance, "Scale" is for shelf queens. RTR tires don't necessarily outlive performance tires. Once the sharp "Scale" patterns wear a bit, they loose traction. You'll find guys trying to make them sharp again, or soaking them to make them softer, or... Traction Compounds. Now where would you be?... back to the same problem. The only real solution for spec tires, would be carefully controlled hand-outs. Do you think your track would take the time and spend the $$ to make that happen?

We went through this when forming our SCT class. We settled it by forming 2 classes. Spec Slash, and 13.5 SCT. The Spec guys all had identical equipment. The 13.5 guys can run any SCT truck, with SCT style body, wheels and tires, and 13.5 BL limit. Guess what happened. There is no more Spec class, and the 13.5 class goes down to an E main on club nights(8-10 trucks per race).

Again, you should stop squabbling over rules that won't change the outcome of the race, and focus on what's most important... Your Driving.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

ROAR Rules and hide the water hose. Dry/slick track take the HP advantage away. It does you no good if you can't put the power to the ground. I really hate seeing this topic crossing into off road.. It belongs on the rug.. Not the dirt..
On another note I remeber promoters saying "embrace the technology brushless/lipo offers.. Its better for racing.. Now they all want to step backward.. I just find it funny that all..
Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
My point is, changing the rules until you "think" you stand a better chance at winning, is no solution at all. The playing field is already level; anyone can buy any SCT style tire. Making your idea a rule means all the tires the guys were using become illegal, and they have to buy even more tires. Not only that, but you want them to switch to equipment that sucks?

Racing is about performance, "Scale" is for shelf queens. RTR tires don't necessarily outlive performance tires. Once the sharp "Scale" patterns wear a bit, they loose traction. You'll find guys trying to make them sharp again, or soaking them to make them softer, or... Traction Compounds. Now where would you be?... back to the same problem. The only real solution for spec tires, would be carefully controlled hand-outs. Do you think your track would take the time and spend the $$ to make that happen?

We went through this when forming our SCT class. We settled it by forming 2 classes. Spec Slash, and 13.5 SCT. The Spec guys all had identical equipment. The 13.5 guys can run any SCT truck, with SCT style body, wheels and tires, and 13.5 BL limit. Guess what happened. There is no more Spec class, and the 13.5 class goes down to an E main on club nights(8-10 trucks per race).

Again, you should stop squabbling over rules that won't change the outcome of the race, and focus on what's most important... Your Driving.
You're missing the big picture. SC racing is still new and it still has the chance to be successful over the long run but it is quickly becoming the same thing that has already existed for 30 years (except with more expensive tires and bodies that last half as long as the old classes did). If it is allowed to do that interest will drop and the gains that this class have made for the hobby will be lost. I'd bet all my R/C gear on it.

Again, I must make the point that everything you like about racing is and always has been available in the modified class.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Paulk
There is two two SC classes at one of the tracks I race at.

-Stock SC: RTR tires, esc, servo, all interchangeable, and must run a 12T Titan. The truck must be a RTR, no kits. No other modifications. You can also cut the tires. 2c lipo.

-Mod SC: Run watcha brung, any 1/10 SC truck 2wd and 4wd, no 1/8 scale tires.
I like these rules. I'd personally run in MOD but it would be fun to drop the stock Slash on the track now and then.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Do you think that rule would go over well, if people already had racing tires?... I doubt it.

What allot of noobs fail to understand, is you cannot spec skill. You could require something as absurd as pink tutus, the fast guys are still gonna be fast. Limiting tires only limits what the truck can do, not how well it can be done.

You have to PRACTICE, and SETUP the truck. Even RTRs have turnbuckles, shock oil, and springs. Add in a driver that knows how to drive, and no RTR tire will slow him down enough for you to catch him.

Bottom line, stop whining, and learn to drive.
Not whining.

I've been in this over a decade you are preaching to the choir. I am well aware of it. I was merely stating that these are the rules the track states for stock and they work in this situation as turnout is/has been great with veteran drivers in addition to newbs racing this class.

It's pointless to have two classes that cost nearly the same. Why should stock cost nearly as much as mod? Obviously setup trumps all, the real issue is cost control. All the RTR tires are equally terrible more or less and everyone has to deal with it so it makes the drivers of that class focus on setup like you said. Plus RTR tires last a long time

I will move up to mod soon enough this summer when the snow clears and I can actually practice frequently enough to make the move up to mod worth it. If I'm gonna get beat I might as well save money until it's worth my time to move up.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default For those who doubt...

There is a HUGE amount of wisdom in the stock rules package at Trackside in my opinion. The Slash tire works very well up there - I tried it at the SC Shootout and they were great - plus cheap and no wear to speak of. Certainly a win/win situation.

I'd have to say that I have a LOT of mixed emotions about timing in speed controls - I have a MMP which (properly set up) is at the front end of 'advance' and 'turbo' technology - and it makes a 17.5 motor a LOT more 'interesting' and certainly faster to drive. I also have several Xcelerin speed controls which have timing advance but none of the other 'magic' - which I characteristically us in 'open' or 'mod' classes where the answer to more speed is MORE MOTOR rather than MORE TIMING. AND, the Xcellerin controls can be run in 'spec' mode IF the right software is installed and IF the user selects it.

I guess that I'm just a bit grumpy about the amount of money I spent for a Havoc Pro to run VTA - more money than a MMP can be purchased for and received what is in my opinion LESS speed control. AND, this seems to be a trend - rather than running a speed control in 'spec' mode - guess possibly Tekin may have 'fixed' that for us....

My point is that IF this trend continues and IF only certain speed controls can/will be allowed where is the room for growth for the manufacturers???

AND, am I the only person that is a bit upset over paying the same or more money for less technology???

There are those who say 'run mod if you wanna' run open speed control' and I suppose that can be a valid argument BUT in my case, with my driving (dis)ability, I'm faster and happier in with stock equipment and certainly DO NOT dominate in that class - or any other class for that matter. Let's just face it - some of us are better off in stock!

Just some opinions from a person who has been to more than a few race tracks.

BUT, before anyone thinks about making sweeping changes in their stock rules - look at the car count week in/week out at Trackside. It's hard to argue with their success!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rules are already set on tires at the track as you can use any SCT tire/wheel with exception of no 1/8 buggy tires. The main focus is whether or not to limit timing and/or boost in the newer ESC's. I see ROAR is requiring a certain profile be run on these newer esc's. And who is whining. These 17.5's look more like 13.5 or 10.5 with the right programming.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
In my area, Stock=
-RTR tires only, interchangable
-RTR motors only, interchangable
-RTR Esc's only
-any servo, radio
-RTR suspension geometry, no adding factory team parts to a SC10 etc.

That way budget racers and newbs are in a cheap and fun class, guys with tuning skills and fancy trucks go to mod SCT where they belong. It's setup so that the stock class drivers that hunger for more advanced racing have no choice but to move up to mod SCT. Most want to get there anyways, as mod Corr is also a very cheap class to run.

A SC10/Blitz/Kyosho with Tekin RS or Novak Kinetic Esc will be mod. The RTR guys that buy the fancy brushless SC10, in theory, have an advantage in stock. Usually it deosn't matter anyway unless it's a really big open track.
I agree on everything except the servo.Should be a price limit on Servo or youll have guys buying a $100 Servo for a $200 RTR.Our Spect SCT just went to Any RTR motor or 17.5 BL and ESC.They killed the class.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

Where is everyone getting the assuption that stock class SCT is suposed to be fair? Some RTR's are way faster than others, but it deosn't matter since every racer in the Stock SCt class spends more time tradeing paint with the pipes than making a clean lap. The faster trucks only crash more.

I thought stock class SCt was for newbs. And the rules should allow a first time racer to drop most any RTR 2wd SCT truck down on the track and be legal.

If you drive well enough that something small like timing boost is going to make an actual difference, you need to man up and move to Mod SCT.

The only way to keep things fair is in mod, where everyone has excessive power. Someone's allways going to find an edge by stretching the stock rules. And there is no way a club can enforce "no dynamic timing" that would slow the race day down too much.

Quit sandbagging in the newbie class. I suppose the stock ROAR rules makes sense at big events, giving a nice class for sportsman racers, but most clubs I've raced at only have a RTR type SCT class and a Mod type SCT class.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 12-14-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sgt Craig
I agree on everything except the servo.Should be a price limit on Servo or youll have guys buying a $100 Servo for a $200 RTR.Our Spect SCT just went to Any RTR motor or 17.5 BL and ESC.They killed the class.
True I agree, but the servo offers very little performance enhancement. The rule was more a way to keep newbs racing when they blow a servo.

I noticed some tracks have a rule that says you have to run a RTR servo. But if you blow that servo, you may swap in any servo you have to finish that day, but must buy a RTR servo before the next race day.

And the open radio rule is just a way to get quality radios into the hands of newbs. Clubs spend alot of time trying to get everyone on the right channel with RTR radios. And some of those cheap RTR radios are really hard to control.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
True I agree, but the servo offers very little performance enhancement. The rule was more a way to keep newbs racing when they blow a servo.

I noticed some tracks have a rule that says you have to run a RTR servo. But if you blow that servo, you may swap in any servo you have to finish that day, but must buy a RTR servo before the next race day.

And the open radio rule is just a way to get quality radios into the hands of newbs. Clubs spend alot of time trying to get everyone on the right channel with RTR radios. And some of those cheap RTR radios are really hard to control.
I agree on the Radio's.None of the RTR radios are any good.Best thing I did to mine was buy a used M8 with Spektrum module.The servos though.If a new guy sees a guy running a $100 servo and getting beat,hell think he needs to have that servo to win.I had a RTR servo go on my Losi Sat.I asked the track owner if it was OK to run a Hightech 625G,he didnt have any problems with it.Alot of misinformation gets told to newbs at the track.Thankfully I had good guys giving me good advice on what to get and not to get.I just want to run in a class where it doesnt come down to $$$.I want to beat somone because I was the best driver not the one with the High end ESC,BL mtr and Batts.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

now people think there should be a limit on servos? are you joking? LOL!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Zerodefect;8341077]
I thought stock class SCT was for newbs. And the rules should allow a first time racer to drop most any RTR 2wd SCT truck down on the track and be legal.
QUOTE]

This is not the case at my local track or other Michigan race series. Most of the top drivers are serious, experienced racers. Maybe that is the difference. We don't have a real group of Mod SCT to support this either. The Newbs either race Novice or are in the back of the pack in Stock SCT. In fact most of the people that would race Mod SCT are in the 4WD SCT class. So as has been stated each track or racing series has to select their own rules to match the drivers attending.

Last season the Stock SCT, Spec Slash, and Open 2WD SCT lap times and 5 minute results were extremely close. Each class had less than 10 people racing for points. Each class had experienced drivers. This season it looks like everyone has focused on the Stock SCT class which has increase participation to over 20 people. The Spec Slash guys are able to experiment with tires. The SC10 drivers are able to race with more people. It has been a real win for use. The Open SCT class is at risk of ending. We do not have enough to warrant a points series.

I still feel that the ROAR rules are good enough. The only changes which help the Newbs or low budget people is the allowance of Kit Brushed motors. The fastest of these is the 15T in the Kyosho which any 17.5 with timing should be faster. After that it is all driver skills!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
You're missing the big picture. SC racing is still new and it still has the chance to be successful over the long run but it is quickly becoming the same thing that has already existed for 30 years (except with more expensive tires and bodies that last half as long as the old classes did). If it is allowed to do that interest will drop and the gains that this class have made for the hobby will be lost. I'd bet all my R/C gear on it.

Again, I must make the point that everything you like about racing is and always has been available in the modified class.
I see the big picture, but from a purely racer's perspective. I've seen the "Flavor of the week" classes come and go. 99% of those were "Spec" classes, i.e. strictly controlled equipment. The idea behind each, was a level playing field and close racing. The problem is, you have racers in the class, along side the poor guys who think that somehow, "Spec" helps them... it simply does not.

It boils down to this. You can either let a class develop with racers at the helm, or try to suffocate it with rules. The best route to take, is make each ideology a class, and let the participants decide which class they want to enter. Then, the spec guys can have all the rules they want, and the racers can use racing equipment to race.

Again, RTRs are to get noobs into the hobby, not race. They were never meant to do anything but Hook a new guy.. and that's actually really cool. They can get an idea of what the controls do... you know, feel it out. Then, when they're ready for a dramatic improvement in performance, they can upgrade to Race Tires/Equipment. Simply limiting the trucks to what comes out of an RTR box has a series of results that NEGATE the whole point of the rules. You'll catch them tuning sealed can motors, soaking tires, traction compounds, cutting thread, etc... NOW where are you?... right back where you started. Now all these "Speed Secrets" really stratify the crowd. If you don't know about them, you're truck is slower than the field. While the "Spec" crowd squabbles over rules and regulations, spending half the race day teching cars, the "other" class is racing.

Don't try to make the whole class about what you want; Start a New Class. Call it whatever you want, "Spec RTR" or whatever. Leave the big class AS-IS, and see what happens. Otherwise, you might kill it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.