R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mamba ESC troubles

I pulled my 18t out of the box after 3 years. It ran fine, no worries. I downloaded the CAstle program, updated the software and now it wont run. It just beeps. the steering responds but no throttle, like the initial setup mode. It wont respond to any trigger action forward or reverse.

no matter how much I update settings, pull the trigger etc, the esc wont respond. transmitter has new batteries, battery pack is charged.

any ideas?
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Roll back the updateto the ver that worked....or call Castle and ask them. When the latest came out, it had a lot of probs and this what they were telling guys to do. Rollback to prev version that worked.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I think it was like 10 versions ago, ha. Ill try it, thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That might be the prob to start with, I think the updates only go so far back, there's been some internal changes or something like that, you may need to call them and see what you can do with it, esp if you can't get it rolled back.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I had the same issue after one of the flashes. The issue I ran into is with the radio and not the ESC.
Re-flash the newest update again just to be sure it takes.
Reset all of the throttle defaults on the radio.
Re-bind the receiver and then re-calibrate with the ESC.
It should work then.
www.hotrodhobbies.com
F_ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Tech Regular

how do I bind the reciever? I have a Spektrum 2.0 I bought 3 years ago and used once. Not sure where the manual is.

I am really uneducated when it comes to the electric rc stuff.

thanks for your help
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I don't know the bind procedure on the Spektrum.
I would imagine you can find a manual on the Spektrum site to walk you through the procedure. It should not be difficult.
www.hotrodhobbies.com
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Tech Regular

found the manual. I re-bound the reciever/transmitter, updated the mamba and set the defualts. It hasnt change, but im still messing with it .
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Tech Regular

nothing. back to beeping and flashing. its driving me nuts. This is why i like nitro
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Is your ESC calibrated? Is your EPA set to max? Have you tried reversing the throttle channel?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
nothing. back to beeping and flashing. its driving me nuts. This is why i like nitro
When I first bought my MMP, it was 3 or 4 firmware updates behind. When I first flashed the newest firmware, I had the same problem you did. Servo would work but no throttle. Just lights on the MMP. I thought I might have screwed it up but it was at night and I couldn't call Castle for help so I just kept plugging away.

After like the 4th time, I got it to work, however, I think the issue was that I did not reset the throttle subtrim back to 0 or default before I messed with it. I believe some firmware updates do change the throttle curves enough that if you don't reset your throttle trim, EPA, Expo on the radio before you re-calibrate the ESC, you will have issues.

Start over and go step by step.
Reflash to the newest flash. Let it do it's thing and make sure you don't interrupt it before it finishes.
Once completed, go ahead and check the settings and make any appropriate changes and then update the ESC.
Close out of the CastleLink program and plug the ESC cable back into the radio. Make sure it is plugged into the correct position for ESC on the receiver and that the polarity is correct.
Before you plug a battery in and turn on your radio, make sure all throttle settings are set to default per the manual for your radio. This is very important.
Once you have set all throttle settings in the radio to their defaults, try and recalibrate the ESC. You do this by first holding the throttle all the way back THEN turn on the radio, THEN turn on the truck/ESC. After you hear the first series of beeps and the red lights flash, move the throttle all the way for full brake. You will hear another set of beeps and then it will flash red again. Now let go of the throttle so that it can calibrate for neutral. You should see the red lights flash ont he ESC and then turn green. At this point you should be abler to give it throttle and it should spin the motor. If not, double check your throttle sub trim on the radio. click it forward until you hear a beeping sound and or the motor starts to move forward. Then back the throttle sub trim back a click or two until it is back to neutral.

If all of that fails, call Castle support.
www.hotrodhobbies.com