Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max Pro vs. Mamba Monster

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max Pro vs. Mamba Monster

Hey guys i wanna know which one of these esc's you like better running in your 8th scale.The reason is because i picked up a Tekin T8 1700kv for my buggy and obviously it is sensored.I wanna know why you run a mamba monster or why you run the mamba max pro.Please let me know your opinions on each and which one you prefer for your 8th scale.Thank you for any of your responses.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kman16jr
Hey guys i wanna know which one of these esc's you like better running in your 8th scale.The reason is because i picked up a Tekin T8 1700kv for my buggy and obviously it is sensored.I wanna know why you run a mamba monster or why you run the mamba max pro.Please let me know your opinions on each and which one you prefer for your 8th scale.Thank you for any of your responses.
The MMP is meant for 1/10 but you can try it on a light buggy as soon as your system doesn't drain to much amps. It would be perfect on a 1400kv 6s smooth setup. It's cheaper and lighter than the mamba monster, what's more it's sensored (the Mamba Monster isn't). I would rather take a RX8 on a 1/8 buggy but the MMP would do his job with no doubt, there are many people here who use it with success.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pulse_
The MMP is meant for 1/10 but you can try it on a light buggy as soon as your system doesn't drain to much amps. It would be perfect on a 1400kv 6s smooth setup. It's cheaper and lighter than the mamba monster, what's more it's sensored (the Mamba Monster isn't). I would rather take a RX8 on a 1/8 buggy but the MMP would do his job with no doubt, there are many people here who use it with success.
Well the reason why is because i have a Tekin T8 1700kv motor and could run it fine with a mamba monster but wanna try sensored 8th scale electric and wanted to use the mamba max pro because it is half the cost of the tekin rx8 and i already have ther newest version of the castle software downloaded on my netbook.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been running my MMP all summer in an E-1/8th and haven't had any trouble so far. It has been run with Medusa, Tekin, and Castle motors all of them around 2000Kv. The 1700 should be easier on it than the motors I have run. Just keep track of the temps and go from there.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I ran the MMPro more than year with no problems. 6s/1400. I even took the fan off it. It is WAY smoother than the Monster.

The only downside to the MMPro is that the BEC is weak and you might have brownout problems with HV or High Torque servos. I only had that issue once.

I would actually say the MMPro was my most reliable ESC owned to date as I ran it longer than any other one without it going nuclear on me. I wuodl still be running it if one of the capicitors didn't break off (still works, but I sent it back to be repaired).

Right now I have the upgraded Rx8s in my cars and they are doing well, so I will probably stick with them for now.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I ran a MMP in my rc8be with a tekin 2050 t8 after 2 rx8's went up in smoke... Same results with the MMP

I went to a mamba Monster with a neu 1800 and its been smooth sailing ever since..
Yes the MMP & the RX8's are slightly smoother,
but the Monster is still running!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max Pro ESC vs Mamba Monster ESC.

I use to run the Mamba Monster ESC in my 1/8th scale Buggy but switched to the Mamba Max Pro for reasons of it being a much lighter waight esc. The Mamba Max Pro also give you the choice of running a sensored motor, or a sensorless motor. I'm running the MMP esc with the built in fan and built in BEC. Castle Creations also offers a one cell edition MMP esc which does not come with a fan- and does not come with a BEC- and requires you to add your own external BEC. Though this one cell edition does come with easy to use soldering posts. I've heard of racers running the MMP in their 1/8th scale buggy with no fan, with a Tekin sensored 1/8th scale motor with zero heating problems.

Castle Creations tech support also said it's safe to run the MMP in 1/8th scale, in fact- a few of the racers at castle creations tech support use the MMP esc in their buggies. The way it was explain to me- if your servo is rated at 200oz/inch of torque or less- you should be able to run the MMP with it's built in BEC. if you're going to be running- for example a 400oz/inch of torque servo- the built in BEC will very likely become overloaded and will shut down the esc. Same action as unplugging your battery from the esc- and then plugging it back into the esc.

It's also good to run a glitch buster- I use the spectrum capacitor- Novak also makes one as well. It plugs into your receiver and stabilizes the voltage and helps prevent or eliminate voltage drops which can result in a speed control shut off and restart.

Castle Creations Tech Support being aware that many 1/8th scale racers are running the MMP ESC's in their 1/8th scale RC's- is in talks of an esc which is apx the same size as the MMP esc- but with a much more powerful built in BEC in order that 1/8th scale racers no longer have to worry about the possibility of running an external BEC.

PS. Because I run a 1/10th scale motor in my Hyper 9E (1409 1Y 3600kv by Neutronics) which is a sensoreless motor with a 5mm shaft- I'm looking for any sensored motor which comes with a 5mm shaft- and is of the 1409 can size which generally is the size of 1/10th scale motors. I was quite surprised to not find one single model 1/10th scale sensored motor with a 5mm pinion gear shaft. I've read many of the 4x4 short course truck racers would like to run this smaller sensored motor as well- without having to use a bore reducer- which permits the use of 5mm(Shaft) Mod 1 Pinion Gears.

Hopefully some of these notes will help you in your decision between a Mamba Max Pro(MMP) sensored and sensoreless esc vs the Mamba Monster (MMM) Sensoreless esc.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

hah,i thought i'de see you in here eventually.I run the mamba max pro in my 4x4 sc with the novak ballistic sensored motor and it is amazing.I should just run the pro,so i can use this tekin motor to it's advantage.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I run a MMP in my 1/8 Buggy and a MMM in my 1/8 truggy with no issues in either. Buggy consumes less power and is smooth so the MMP is fine, but the truggy is bigger, more traction and not comfortable to run the MMP in it due to the increased power drain. The fan on my 1/8 buggy with the MMP never even comes on.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys this thread is very close to may situation too. I am in the process of getting my 1st 1/8 buggy and its a roller. I have 2 SCT's and they both have mamba max pro's. Was gonna use one of them for the buggy. the motors are 4600 and 5700kv so i need to get a 2000 or 2200kv for the buggy. My local shop owner said MMR won't work and tried to sell me something else. What you are saying is that it will work. But the Max amps for the MMP seem to be 100-120a and i'm wondering which kv would be best? 2000 or 2200? And also explain to me the newb what a BEC is so i can install an external one.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sorry to hi-jack the thread here, but can someone direct me to the Mamba Monster thread. I've searched but can't find it. My brakes are way too sensitive on my MMM in my 8T and I need some direction, lol. Ok, carry on.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JustRay
Hey guys this thread is very close to may situation too. I am in the process of getting my 1st 1/8 buggy and its a roller. I have 2 SCT's and they both have mamba max pro's. Was gonna use one of them for the buggy. the motors are 4600 and 5700kv so i need to get a 2000 or 2200kv for the buggy. My local shop owner said MMR won't work and tried to sell me something else. What you are saying is that it will work. But the Max amps for the MMP seem to be 100-120a and i'm wondering which kv would be best? 2000 or 2200? And also explain to me the newb what a BEC is so i can install an external one.
The MMP will work just fine in a 1/8th buggy. The 2000 rpm/v motor will probably be the best. Lots of folks are running even slower motors these days (1700 to 1900).

A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. It takes the 4S voltage from the main battery and steps it down to 5 or 6V for your radio to run on. The internal one on the MMP works pretty good unless you are running Savox servos or a couple of the other high torque servos that are on the market. If there is any question, you can use an external BEC and it is good to go.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread here, but can someone direct me to the Mamba Monster thread. I've searched but can't find it. My brakes are way too sensitive on my MMM in my 8T and I need some direction, lol. Ok, carry on.
Do you have the Castle Link programmer?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

No - I don't have the castle link programmer.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kufman
The MMP will work just fine in a 1/8th buggy.
We are still talking about the Mamba Max not the Mamba Monster right?