Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Newbie question: How similar are 2WD Slash chassis and 4x4 Slash chassis? >

Newbie question: How similar are 2WD Slash chassis and 4x4 Slash chassis?

Newbie question: How similar are 2WD Slash chassis and 4x4 Slash chassis?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Newbie question: How similar are 2WD Slash chassis and 4x4 Slash chassis?

Sorry for the newbie question, this is probably well known to anyone with experience. But I ain't it.

I'm looking at getting a pretty-bare Slash 4x4 chassis and building it up to the point where it's a runnable 4x4 Slash. Are the 2WD and 4x4 chassies different enough, that I must start with a 4x4 chassis? Or can I start with a 2WD chassis, get the center diff, front diff, slipper clutch etc., and wind up with something that runs fine as a 4x4 even though the serial number on the chassis platform is wrong?

Reason I'm asking, is because the only 4x4 rollers I've seen, are very expensive, or else they are missing all the diffs, the clutch etc.

If I start with a stripped 4x4 chassis that's missing all of the above, will I be starting with something that's indistinguishable from a stripped 2WD chassis?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 502 (100%+)

Not the same at all.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the long run, you are going to pay a lot more if you put it together piecemeal. I would save up and get a complete.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Not the same at all.
How not? Does the 4x4 chassis have extra cutouts, mounts, etc. that the 2WD chassis doesn't have? So basically there's no way to mount the center diff or front diff or other such parts on a 2WD chassis?

I need all the info I can get..... obviously!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

just look at them!

4x4

2x4

Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

there not compatible
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Can I ask a question? Why are you set on a Slash? Personally, everyone I know that has had a slash decides that it is better for bashing than racing and eventually get a different truck. This is the case especially with the 2wd versions. Even people who have figured out a really good setup for their slash eventually get a SC10.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by BryanAZ View Post
Can I ask a question? Why are you set on a Slash? Personally, everyone I know that has had a slash decides that it is better for bashing than racing and eventually get a different truck. This is the case especially with the 2wd versions. Even people who have figured out a really good setup for their slash eventually get a SC10.

if its a stock slash and you have a right setup on it its just as competive as the blitzs and sc10 in stock form in racing .

ive, run races with my slash on a outdoor 1/8 track with a couple of blitzs and one strike its weird i never saw a sc10 at my track though lol.

now in mod the slash whould have a handling disavandge inless you get a lot of mods of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
just look at them!

4x4

2x4

WHOA!!! Those are the top views of both??? Didn't realize they were that different.

So the battery on a 4x4 Slash mounts on the left, but on a 2WD it mounts in the center? Plus other differences?

Thanx lowroad, VERY good info!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BryanAZ View Post
It's mostly for bashing, but occasionally racing. I'm looking at the Slash because I've heard from quite a few people that it's the closest to indestructable it's possible to get, when in mostly-stock form. My 12-year-old son has a habit of hitting large, immovable objects; and also likes doing jumps, often does not land on the wheels. I'm getting a LOT of experience fixing RC10T's. Lots of RPM parts, but not every part on the chassis is RPM.

People I ask, usually mention other cars in addition to the Slash. But the Slash is the one everybody mentions, as being very sturdy during jumps/crashes etc.

My son just ran his first race last Sunday. A drive shaft popped out of his RC10T after a jump, DNF (It has RPM arms and shock towers). He needs to get a lot more experience before the quality of the car starts to make a difference. Right now, sturdiness is far more important.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Two general questions:

1.) Does the SC10 come in 4x4?

2.) If you take and SC10 and a Slash, and start beating the [email protected] out of both of them to an equal degree, going over big jumps, landing wrong, bashing into things etc...... which one will break first?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Two general questions:

1.) Does the SC10 come in 4x4?

2.) If you take and SC10 and a Slash, and start beating the [email protected] out of both of them to an equal degree, going over big jumps, landing wrong, bashing into things etc...... which one will break first?
1.) No not yet, I talked with an Associated team driver and he said that yes, they are coming out with one, but it will not be available for a while.

2.) By far, the slash is a better basher and the SC10 is a better racer (both of those are my opinion).
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

WHOA!!! Those are the top views of both??? Didn't realize they were that different.

So the battery on a 4x4 Slash mounts on the left, but on a 2WD it mounts in the center? Plus other differences?

Thanx lowroad, VERY good info!
You got it!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

BTW, how does the Slash compare with the Traxxas Stampede? Both equally sturdy? Both equally good (or bad) on the racetrack, with comparable tires?

I understand that most Stampedes are 2WD, and that Traxxas just recently came out with a 4x4 Stampede. True?

Does a 2WD Stampede use the same basic chassis as the 2WD Slash?

And does a 4x4 Stampede use the same basic chassis as a 4x4 Slash?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

BTW, how does the Slash compare with the Traxxas Stampede? Both equally sturdy? Both equally good (or bad) on the racetrack, with comparable tires?

I understand that most Stampedes are 2WD, and that Traxxas just recently came out with a 4x4 Stampede. True?

Does a 2WD Stampede use the same basic chassis as the 2WD Slash?

And does a 4x4 Stampede use the same basic chassis as a 4x4 Slash?
Being a monster truck, the Stampede will absolutely suck at the race track. Way too high center of gravity. But is probably a good basher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service