Help a confused Dad!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1Fastpede
Your wallet would like this then!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Castle-Creations...#ht_1938wt_905

BUT! Exactly how large is this 1/8scale track? you may want a different set-up.

I'd go with a mmp/Novak 550 ballistic.

I think the MMP/Novak 550 ballistic would also be a good option.

Jay
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Although, I would recommend the 1410/1Y as a good motor for a 2s setup I will not recommend the SCT ESC, especially for a 1/8 track.
So I would go with the MMP as the ESC to run with that motor.
That motor is built directly from a Neu 1409/1Y (also 1509/1Y) which a lot of racers turned to when the 4x4 first hit the tracks for a 2s setup that was efficient.
I ran the Neu for a whole season with an MMP with no problems whatsoever and a HiTec 7945TH without any caps or external BEC's on 2s, never once missed a lap being counted, can't say the same for my 4s setup but that's another story.
My motor temps were never over 160-170 in 80-90 ambient and the 1410/1Y is rated for 200F which I might add is the only 2s motor on the market with such capabilities.
Just remember one of the reasons Castle/Tekin are having success with their motors. Their designed from Neu specs.
Get the combo and sell the ESC and get an MMP, Good Luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pyro18t
I think the MMP/Novak 550 ballistic would also be a good option.

Jay
I once thought so too and after trying 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 on a large scale track they never performed as good as my MMP 1409/1Y setup on 2s. They are good but my experience proved the 4 pole motor was more efficient and could handle twenty minute mains without any heat issues unlike the 2 pole Novaks which in my experience work better on smaller tracks and shorter mains.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

If the castle motor is good and efficient then I don't mind getting the combo for a hundred bucks understanding that the esc will probably fry. I can get the mmp esc locally fairly quick if I need to.

And from what I read, a 30c 5000 is about minimum spec battery I should look at?

Thanks for all your comments guys!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I would try to get a 30c 5000mah at the very least. I puffed two very good 30c 5000mah batteries... that's why my Hyper has been sitting on the shelf. A friend of mine has a 40C 5000mah and he has had better luck.

Jay
Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

These guys are steering you right . I would just say stick with Castle or Tekin with a purpose built motor to keep things cool and ensure your dealing with a good company that has exceptional service, which both do. I do lean a bit towards Tekin because their motor is specifically designed for CORR, their bearings are a higher quality and the censored motors Cog less, well not at all.

When you brake to a complete stop or do a sweeping turn that results in your drive train coming to a halt or rolling backwards for even a moment losing momentum Coging or stuttering of the motor can occasionally occur. Tekins Sensored abilities monitor the position of the rotor in the can and eliminate this lag or delay from happening.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Recommend strongly considering the Tekin RX8 combo and possibly the Castle combo. They seem to hold up better than all the others and perform just as well, if not better.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

I suppose it doesn't matter much when I think about it but isn't the RX8 an 1/8 scale esc? and then the castle mmm could be considered here as well?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benamin
I suppose it doesn't matter much when I think about it but isn't the RX8 an 1/8 scale esc? and then the castle mmm could be considered here as well?
Tekin RX8 designed for 1/8 Scale. To be on the safe side, the 4x4 truck, you're putting it in will need the large scale electronics to effectively and efficiently put the power down (amount of mass/resistance this truck has). All the guys I see running them are using the large scale electronics and have no issues. I haven't seen one using 1/10 electrics, but I wouldn't risk the $$$.
Regardless, hope you're able to get up and running with no issues and truly enjoy the RC hobby.

Last edited by rangerjkb; 12-06-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by benamin
Any ESC can be underpowered but never overpowered (doesn't stop many though).
The extra weight comes in the MMM while the RX8 weighs the same as the MMP.
The MMP has a smaller footprint than the RX8 and with the 1410/1Y is a drop in, no soldering.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Tekin RX8 designed for 1/8 Scale. To be on the safe side, the 4x4 truck, you're putting it in will need the large scale electronics to effectively and efficiently put the power down (amount of mass/resistance this truck has). All the guys I see running them are using the large scale electronics and have no issues. I haven't seen one using 1/10 electrics, but I wouldn't risk the $$$.
Although true with running 1/8 scale speedos and motors not necessary. I ran with many others 1/10 scale ESC's such as Novaks and Castles with no problems whatsoever for a whole season except when it came down to motor that was a different story. Novak's ran hotter on the larger track than my Neu which is what the 1410 is designed after.
And the MMP is a very capable ESC which is now in some 1/8 scale RTR's.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds like I'm going for the Castle sct combo and will probably order an mmp for it before race season fires up.

Thanks for your help!