Attached Thumbnails Interesting Editorial: TLR 22 Timing-tlr0022_a4.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh no! a "for bashers by bashers" site is nit picking a new racing buggy
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Wow, just what we need, another negative know it all puking up opinions as though they were absolute facts.

There are NO absolutes in RC racing and it seems as though this "cub" scout only wants to bash at the playgrounds anyway.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

While I agree on the timing thing, this blog post is a great example of blogging posing as journalism. This blogger has an obvious opinion and the narcissistic view that 1/10 2wd racing only happens indoors and real racers all only run 1/8th scale. There's a summer outdoor season in some of the most customer rich markets in R/C (Cali, UK, Japan, mainland Europe, etc.) and they'll all buy a car that's more stable and durable for outdoor tracks.

My hope is that all the new SC racers that are discovering how poorly SC trucks actually work () will step up to racing vehicles and 2wd offroad will experience a renaissance.

The car got done when it got done. I'm sure TLR would've liked to capture this winter's Christmas market but this baby is going to do just fine.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Some editorial, clearly not very knowledgeable. Granted F1 cars don't move the engine, but they do routinely move ballast around a lot for different tracks. There are no e clips where they are actually an issue, on the front and at the inner pivots. What's a Revo or a Savage, never seen one at a track?

He does have one key point correct, in many cases Losi innovates, generally the others follow. Molded chassis on race cars, modular construction, etc etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Lord

F1 cars also don't race on a variety of surfaces. E-clips are no more of an issue than rivets are on commercial aircraft.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

First of all I hate when people compare rc cars to real cars, It makes no sense. the power to weight ratios are way different. second you see 1/10 scale racers and revo/slayer bashers at the same tracks.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Lets see how the +52,000 views in a few days compares to his claim that nobody is going to buy one. This is a keeper!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

And he states that 2wd is hard to drive....Well, yea it is!!!! That is what makes it so much fun/challange. In fact it makes me a better 8th scale racer!!

But I'm a racer and have NEVER EVER bashed one of my cars!!!!! And never will!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Was at the race, held the car in my hands. Though I feel it is a MUCH needed injection of technology and design for the all but dead buggy class, the thing is a tank.

There were 2 at the race, one finished first, but it wasn't the fastest car on the track. All the locals wanted to try and race Cavalerri, it was hard for him to get out and free to race Evens. Mind you Evans drove a hell of a race, Chambers finished deep in the A, with a boat Load of B4.1s between the 2.

The car is new, it will get better too. You have to rememer Losi was litterally racing a 10 year old buggy platform, there is no-way they were going to sell anymore of them with the other car's getting better.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

This guy obviously doesn't "get it," which is cool, he wants to bash but this car doesn't even pretend to be a basher so why would he worry about it.

Mark my words, the 2wd buggy class is entering its second coming. It will most likely not rival the hey days of the 80's and 90's, there are just so many more choices now, but it is entering a renaissance of sorts. I know a lot of people that got out of 2wd just because the class got stagnant. I don't think it has much to do with the car being smaller or harder to drive. Companies stopped innovating and started chasing rtr money and 1/8 scale money and that is where the innovation went since it was the new hot thing, which I don't really blame them for but I know I am not interested in driving the same old model car for years and years, I like to see and try new things. Companies are giving this to us now, look at the Schumacher, X-Factory, 22, hell even a race quality Tamiya 2wd exists, but why the sudden "caring" by companies...

...Well my theory is that in this down economy they have to be figuring out that they need the racer more than in recent years. Now don't get me wrong the rtr/basher market is still and most likely will always be bigger but I can't be the only one noticing all those dusty $600 E-Revo's sitting on the shelves at the lhs. The casual person who had a little extra money to buy themselves a rc car just to have one has dwindled. Racers however, will sell their mom's favorite dog if they think that new, high tech car or part will help them win, it is an addiction for some.

Now I agree I am not happy about having to wait to February for the car and I will wait longer because I don't buy first run Losi's anymore but Losi needs this car to be right. I also agree that they probably should have picked one motor placement setup and focused on making it as perfect as possible but at least it looks like they are trying to do it right by making it basically 2 kits in one (instead of how Venom is trying to do it with the Gambler and making a truck that will have more compromises). But at this point even Losi has to know about the general public's view of Losi now (you will notice they are trying to separate the race vehicles now by pushing this "TLR" moniker) and also know that if this car is not pretty much a home run that there may be no return in the eyes of many racers.

Anyway, sorry about the soapbox moment but my point is sure 1/10 buggy are spindly, small designs that reward smooth driving and don't care for being ran over by T-Maxx's but who in the world would report on one like it is. Even a company the size of Horizon can see that while the average basher and impulse buyer can make you a lot of money by selling them fad vehicles as they come along one the racer market will always be there and 2wd buggy is the cockroach of rc, you will never kill it.

Long live the 1/10 buggy!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Alot of guys seem to spend money on their kids (video games, ipods, laptops, cellphones) around Christmas time.

Then return to buying themselves toys (r/c car stuff) right after.

Go figure that Losi's release date will actually work out....

regards, a hobbyshop owner
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCHR
Alot of guys seem to spend money on their kids (video games, ipods, laptops, cellphones) around Christmas time.

Then return to buying themselves toys (r/c car stuff) right after.

regards, a hobbyshop owner
This is a very important point. I started doing this back in the 80's as a teenager. I cut grass to buy my stuff and until I could drive, my mom or dad would cart me 30 miles to the track and back. Now I race at a very popular and successful track that's 70 miles from where I live and in my late 30's I am only a little older than the average racer age there. This hobby has gotten cheaper since I started, figure in inflation, it has gotten A LOT cheaper.

Where did the kids go?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Surely the release date is just in time to stop people buying other buggies for christmas? I'm sure TLR would have loved for the buggy to be on the shelf already, but it doesn't always work out like that.

In Europe 2wd 10th is a huge class, especially in the summer, and maybe that is why the 22 comes with things that the European buggy market demands in a new chassis, eg. Big bore shocks, mid-motor, metric hardware.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Thumbs down

He needs to change the name of his site from bigsquidrc to BigIdiotRC.

"The biggest rumor being that Thunder Tiger/Associated is just months away from releasing an all new RC10B5."

Why would TT/AE have spent millions marketing the new RC10B4.1 if they were going to release another buggy in a few months?

"Many of todays uber race guys are all about 8th scale and scoff at anything smaller, and honestly you don’t want to show up at a local bash spot with a spindly lil’ 2wd buggy (unless you want your new 22 going home smashed to bits by some Revo or Savage)."

Since when would any racer, uber or otherwise, show up at their local bash spot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.