Wiki Posts
Search

Not to impressed with MMP.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Not to impressed with MMP.....

well bought a MMP to go in my hyper 10 sc with a novak 4.5. i run a CCBEC with it and a 40 c 4000 pack and the thing doesnt seem nearly as smooth as the vxl i had. esp in the "smart sense" mode. sensored mode is ok but compared to the vxl its night and day. i ran cheat mode and that was terrible, made the throttle very unpredictable.

so what im asking is, is this normal? ive had several sidewinders and they were fine unsensored but this thing is just :/ any special setting i need to try? granted i was in the dark mostly but ill try it again tomorrow and see if my opinion changes.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tacomaster
well bought a MMP to go in my hyper 10 sc with a novak 4.5. i run a CCBEC with it and a 40 c 4000 pack and the thing doesnt seem nearly as smooth as the vxl i had. esp in the "smart sense" mode. sensored mode is ok but compared to the vxl its night and day. i ran cheat mode and that was terrible, made the throttle very unpredictable.

so what im asking is, is this normal? ive had several sidewinders and they were fine unsensored but this thing is just :/ any special setting i need to try? granted i was in the dark mostly but ill try it again tomorrow and see if my opinion changes.
Before you make a thread being "not impressed" with one of the best if not the best esc on the market you should deft do some homework and more testing with it, not in your driveway after you just got done putting it together. Orrr just maybe there is something wrong with it and that can happen, but all assumptions aside you got to play with it more, because there's no way vxl and mmp should be in the same sentence.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try basic settings first. Disable Power and CHEAT. Set punch to 0. Timing normal. Etc...

Cheat is not designed for your type of setup. I would expect Smart Sense to work fine though. Make sure the sensor wire is seated good... double check it or try another wire.

Others have run the Pro with the HV motors so hopefully someone can post what settings they use.

You ran a VXL with the 4.5?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the mmp is a very low quality esc. went through 3 brand new ones in 2 weeks with a stock 4600 castle motor. got a vxl after the 3rd went, never looked back. its faster and smoother, and hey, im on my same one, and its been over 6 monthes..........castles quality has gone down hill to say the least
Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

You should have bought a Tekin.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SDfitted
Before you make a thread being "not impressed" with one of the best if not the best esc on the market you should deft do some homework and more testing with it, not in your driveway after you just got done putting it together. Orrr just maybe there is something wrong with it and that can happen, but all assumptions aside you got to play with it more, because there's no way vxl and mmp should be in the same sentence.
Yea they are the best on the market lol!!! Here is my box of three fried MMP's that are about to be sent back to Castle. They are garbage, period.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsamarin
the mmp is a very low quality esc. went through 3 brand new ones in 2 weeks with a stock 4600 castle motor. got a vxl after the 3rd went, never looked back. its faster and smoother, and hey, im on my same one, and its been over 6 monthes..........castles quality has gone down hill to say the least
Well someone is doing something wrong. We sold over 100 of these this year and had only two bad ones and that was guys that pushed the sensor wire in too hard and knocked the port off the board. I set them all up and its next to impossible to go thru 3 in 2 weeks unless something is done wrong. Anything is possible but I would have better luck in Vegas trying to win a million bucks. IF the VXL ran better then I know something was not setup correctly. I have ran 4600 in the cheap Sidewinder for 2 years in 2wd mod and never had problems and that speedo don't hold a candle to the MMPs I run now.

Again anything is possible but its almost impoosible to go thru 3 in that short amount of time. Are guy running oval this week are running 3.5 and 4.5s and can't burn them up and thats alot harder than any 4600 would be on a MMP
Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Yea they are the best on the market lol!!! Here is my box of three fried MMP's that are about to be sent back to Castle. They are garbage, period.

I wish you where in my area because I know for a fact if I set it up your not going thru one in that short of time............period. I setup almost every racer that buys from are shop and never since the day they came out had your problems. Something is not right with the setup or something else is causing them to go bad because 3 of them in 2 weeks tells me something else is causing the problem.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
I wish you where in my area because I know for a fact if I set it up your not going thru one in that short of time............period. I setup almost every racer that buys from are shop and never since the day they came out had your problems. Something is not right with the setup or something else is causing them to go bad because 3 of them in 2 weeks tells me something else is causing the problem.
Mine was over a 3 month period. First one fried, I was told by Castle to put on a BEC, I did, both still fired. I think they have good motors and customer service and also ran a Mamba Max without issue for almost a year. I'm not here to bash on Castle... but for me I got a serious bad batch of MMP.

I sponsored 5 people last summer, 2 had the MMP. Those two guys are now running Tekin, their speedo's also fried. I liked the MMP when it was working but it was to unreliable for me or my team mates.

And I have tested them with multiple setups, not just one. Different motors, different packs different trucks. I have yet to get one that works.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

After installing an ext bec (actually annoying) on 2s the esc feels very smooth with my 6.5 in 2wd mod (slightly overkill motor, i know), finally i'm happy with it.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by hoousi
After installing an ext bec (actually annoying) on 2s the esc feels very smooth with my 6.5 in 2wd mod (slightly overkill motor, i know), finally i'm happy with it.
Did you use the Castle link and turn up the voltage on the stock bec? Only because the oval guys run 3.5 and 4.5 motors and draw alot of power out in a 4 minute run but use the stock bec and high end digital servo. Some add an additional cap because of the huge power draw the oval guys use up. They even run mad timing on these setups as they are crazy fast.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Mine was over a 3 month period. First one fried, I was told by Castle to put on a BEC, I did, both still fired. I think they have good motors and customer service and also ran a Mamba Max without issue for almost a year. I'm not here to bash on Castle... but for me I got a serious bad batch of MMP.

I sponsored 5 people last summer, 2 had the MMP. Those two guys are now running Tekin, their speedo's also fried. I liked the MMP when it was working but it was to unreliable for me or my team mates.

And I have tested them with multiple setups, not just one. Different motors, different packs different trucks. I have yet to get one that works.
I know it is possible to burn them up. Are track is the opposite as we send way more Tekin and Novak stuff back but we sell 10 to 1 Castle over anything else.

I watched every top brand either burn on fire (mainly Novaks) and watche the Tekins and Castle just smoke and melt. I will say that most of the time something else caused the speedo to melt down, (loose wires, bad lipo, I had bad servos cause it and some other weird things and then I seen just the speedo be the problem.

Electronics are weird things. I like the setup everyone one that runs thru the shop for customers unless I know them and they are seasoned racers. Then again some of the worst for doing things are racers for what ever reason.

I feel since I done so many and work with the Castle Link almost daily I can stop alot of problems before they can pop up. Guys know I'm very anal when it comes to wiring things up nice and neat for customers. Just a habit I guess but don't want the customers to have problems if I can help it.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
I know it is possible to burn them up. Are track is the opposite as we send way more Tekin and Novak stuff back but we sell 10 to 1 Castle over anything else.

I watched every top brand either burn on fire (mainly Novaks) and watche the Tekins and Castle just smoke and melt. I will say that most of the time something else caused the speedo to melt down, (loose wires, bad lipo, I had bad servos cause it and some other weird things and then I seen just the speedo be the problem.

Electronics are weird things. I like the setup everyone one that runs thru the shop for customers unless I know them and they are seasoned racers. Then again some of the worst for doing things are racers for what ever reason.

I feel since I done so many and work with the Castle Link almost daily I can stop alot of problems before they can pop up. Guys know I'm very anal when it comes to wiring things up nice and neat for customers. Just a habit I guess but don't want the customers to have problems if I can help it.
I've seen Tekins smoke and Novaks. I watched two Novaks go up in smoke in under 30 minutes. One of my friends smoked his Novak two days after getting it. Pissed he goes into the shop, buys another one, gets it soldered up, plugs it in and it smoked. I've been into R/C for nearly 25 years, I've never seen this many issues in such a short time period.

I thought the issue was running 2S on the 550 motors, but have read about them smoking in Crawlers and normal 540's with stock turns it looks more wide spread. We would share settings from the MMP's in the Jammin & MMP thread trying to trouble shoot issues, some worked some didn't. It was strange that guys could run their 1/8th scales on 4-6s and we couldn't run on 2s in 1/10th 4wd SC's.

Either way I look at it, I will have three spare speedos in-case I need them.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wyd
Did you use the Castle link and turn up the voltage on the stock bec? Only because the oval guys run 3.5 and 4.5 motors and draw alot of power out in a 4 minute run but use the stock bec and high end digital servo. Some add an additional cap because of the huge power draw the oval guys use up. They even run mad timing on these setups as they are crazy fast.
The cap wasnt enough on 2wd and 4wd, i just got one with a lemon bec i guess, without cap but with a savox servo the receiver wouldnt get power without me doing anything, but rather a bad bec than a speedo in flames.... In 2wd i can live with the extra wire of the bec, in 4wd i didnt attach it good enough and it got chewed by the spur.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Try basic settings first. Disable Power and CHEAT. Set punch to 0. Timing normal. Etc...

Cheat is not designed for your type of setup. I would expect Smart Sense to work fine though. Make sure the sensor wire is seated good... double check it or try another wire.

Others have run the Pro with the HV motors so hopefully someone can post what settings they use.

You ran a VXL with the 4.5?
yes ran the vxl pack to pack on 40c 5k packs with temps on the esc heatsink not over 115... motor never got over like 118. ill turn the power setting off because thats the only thing i havent tried. timing cant be normal on sensored only mode anyway. cheat mode will work if i put the activation rpm at almost max where it needs to be. im going to be running on an 1/8th scale track so i need the speed. running timing on can at 15 and no cheat mode timing ill try it later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.