Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread >

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
  #2206  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (34)
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,869
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sak13 View Post
OK so the short battery is the preferred configuration but is it preferred to have the battery forward or back in the tray?
I have been seeing them run it in the back position with the rear motor car. (at least that is what it looks like)

I am running it with only one pad fwd with my CR and love the new balance. (I had to add 2 pads to the back for 3 extra foams total.)
Casper is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
  #2207  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (40)
 
justicepool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Casper View Post

Losi has release something that is out of the box here and not just another battery on the market.
The same could be said for the 22 itself. I love to see truly new products on the market. For those who are new to the hobby, I don't know if they realize just how great Lipo batteries and brushless motors are!!! I remember spending a great deal of time maintaining my Nicads and brushed motors. Cleaning brushes, replacing brushes, using a comm lathe, matching battery cells, building packs, peaking them at the right time before a race, discharging them with light bars to keep them from obtaining a short memory.......Exhausting!

Lipos and Brushless are the cats meow!
justicepool is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
  #2208  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (34)
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,869
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I totally agree. Just yesterday someone came to the track that was coming off a long lay over and he stopped by to see if I had my lathe on me! It was at home. No need to drag that thing around as he is the first to ask to use one in well over a year! LOL

Yes lipo and BL are WAY easier. Anyone that did not have to suffer through Nimh and brushes do not know how easy they have it!
Casper is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
  #2209  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I have been seeing them run it in the back position with the rear motor car. (at least that is what it looks like)

I am running it with only one pad fwd with my CR and love the new balance. (I had to add 2 pads to the back for 3 extra foams total.)
I guess this is the point of the 96mm pack, flexibility. I'll have to see what config works best for my track.

Last week I bought a Tekin 13.5 motor/esc combo, savox servo, Spektrum 3520 micro receiver and a new transponder. All I need now is the kit, tires and possibly these new 96mm batteries. Can't wait, so excited.
sak13 is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
  #2210  
TLRacing
iTrader: (25)
 
Frank Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,800
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by justicepool View Post
I'm the first to acknowledge that I am still learning the new technology that has come through over the last 12 years. I raced regularly from 90 to 98 (I made the A main in stock truck and buggy at the Nationals back then.. ) and then quit for 12 years.

Back then it was all about weight reduction, now with Lipo batteries people are adding weight to their vehicles. So,I understand how the shorter battery allows one to move the battery around for weight distribution, but what confuses me is the simple fact that it is lighter should not be a benefit, since all current lipo batteries are far lighter than what we used to run.
Originally Posted by justicepool View Post
And that is AWESOME! Something I hope the other manufacturers pick up on. I hope there is a 22T with the same premise coming as well!

I agree the battery certainly affords one more tuning options. I just don't like to see a high priced product marketed as a "must have" item, but that is just my humble opinion. Marketed as providing the most tuning options of any battery available........Marketed as a must have to get your car to handle the best.....

Just my .02
You can call it marketing, but really, it is just a bunch of team guys telling the customers/public about a really trick item they found that made their cars .2-.3 sec faster and easier to drive. It is much different than telling people Pink springs make the setup better than the yellows in the kit. Do you have to use the new lighter battery, no. Will it make your car better, we have found this to be true. Xcelorin also makes a full size 6000mAh 60C pack and I would like to "Market" that too. In fact, it has a high price and we stand to gain more by selling it, but when 5 of the top 10-15 EP Off-Road drivers in the world prefer the lighter pack hands down, we just want to give the customer this good info. If you need to buy a battery for this car, it would make sense as it is cheaper than the full size 60C counter parts, and improves performance. If you already have full size packs, you can run those too.

The 22 is a little heavier than the other cars because of its added durability. It is not a brick by any means. Over the past 3-4 years, the setups have evolved a bit for the lighter batteries. A lighter car will do faster lap times. I heavier car is easier to drive (in turns), but slower around the track. We have found a setup that is fast and easy to drive with the light weight battery in the 22. My car weighs 1560g, same as a B4.1 is a full size LiPo. ROAR minium is 1499g. The NiMH batteries got heavier everytime the capacity increased. If you ran 2000mAh packs, the 4400mAh packs we ended with were around 100-150g heavier. The cars really ran better with the lighter NiMH packs and the same seems to be true with LiPos.
Frank Root is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  #2211  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 194
Default

When I first got my 96mm packs I tested them back to back against the 7.4v 5000mah 40C packs I had been running for a while.

I tested them at my home track on a layout that had been in for a month and a half so I had plenty of laps on it. The best lap I could manage using the 5000 battery was a 12.3 and I averaged between 12.5-12.6

The only change I made to my car was the 96mm 3800mah battery and of course less preload on the shock collars because of the weight difference.
My fast lap got down to a 12.1 and my average lap was a 12.3-12.4

Simply put, my car went around the track faster with the 96mm battery. The trade off being that it may have been a bit more responsive and nimble. This means different things for different drivers but in my case it was a noticeable improvement.
M Chambers is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  #2212  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (108)
 
BIGTIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)
Default

I have a 7.5t is this too much for the 22
BIGTIME is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
  #2213  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (34)
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,869
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Depends on your track and if you like lots of motor. I think it will be too fast but that is me. Most are using between a 10.5 and 8.5 in 2wd these days.
Casper is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
  #2214  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M Chambers View Post
When I first got my 96mm packs I tested them back to back against the 7.4v 5000mah 40C packs I had been running for a while.

I tested them at my home track on a layout that had been in for a month and a half so I had plenty of laps on it. The best lap I could manage using the 5000 battery was a 12.3 and I averaged between 12.5-12.6

The only change I made to my car was the 96mm 3800mah battery and of course less preload on the shock collars because of the weight difference.
My fast lap got down to a 12.1 and my average lap was a 12.3-12.4

Simply put, my car went around the track faster with the 96mm battery. The trade off being that it may have been a bit more responsive and nimble. This means different things for different drivers but in my case it was a noticeable improvement.
This is great news. I would assume some of that quarter second loss was the higher C punch too...
STROKD is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
  #2215  
Tech Master
iTrader: (25)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando / Maitland, FL
Posts: 1,775
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

isn't this car not out yet?

Seems like according to our horizon dealer site it wont ship till 3/20?
agarabaghi is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
  #2216  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (28)
 
fordmike65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LOS ANGELES. CA
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Yup. Still about a month away. We're all waiting.....
fordmike65 is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  #2217  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,110
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by STROKD View Post
This is great news. I would assume some of that quarter second loss was the higher C punch too...
C ratings are so crazy now days. IMHO, they're really more a representation of the improving capabilities of li-poly in general rather than anything we need or can really feel on the track, at least in 1/10 scale, especially combined with the capacities we run. A 5000mah 50C pack at 7.4 volts can, on paper, deliver 1850 watts at nominal voltage. That's bananas already -- it's roughly the same as a 1/8 scale 2.5 hp .21 nitro motor or an entire 15 amp circuit at your house.

IMHO, Most people who get a new pack and feel a legitimate difference are probably just feeling the difference between an old tired pack that is near the end of its usable cycles or dying for some other reason, and a new fresh pack that is at its best right then.

Just my opinion.
Razathorn is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
  #2218  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
C ratings are so crazy now days. IMHO, they're really more a representation of the improving capabilities of li-poly in general rather than anything we need or can really feel on the track, at least in 1/10 scale, especially combined with the capacities we run. A 5000mah 50C pack at 7.4 volts can, on paper, deliver 1850 watts at nominal voltage. That's bananas already -- it's roughly the same as a 1/8 scale 2.5 hp .21 nitro motor or an entire 15 amp circuit at your house.

IMHO, Most people who get a new pack and feel a legitimate difference are probably just feeling the difference between an old tired pack that is near the end of its usable cycles or dying for some other reason, and a new fresh pack that is at its best right then.

Just my opinion.
That makes sense too... I'm new to lipos and my car was quick with an old 30C pack I was borrowing. I switched to a 50C in the main and I picked up half a second per lap... I'm now runnin 75C maxamp racers and hoping to go even faster. Had to tighten my diff cause the new packs at half throttle were slippin.. Lol
STROKD is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 PM
  #2219  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (108)
 
BIGTIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)
Default

Just picked up my small pack yesterday over at PCH, and paid for my buggy, now all I need is a body to ship to the painter...lol
BIGTIME is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
  #2220  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (40)
 
justicepool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
....... but really, it is just a bunch of team guys telling the customers/public about a really trick item they found that made their cars .2-.3 sec faster and easier to drive....."


A lighter car will do faster lap times. I heavier car is easier to drive (in turns), but slower around the track.

That is a fair statement! Saying that is was being marketed as such was not accurate......my apologies.
justicepool is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.