Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
Do you guys find this buggy to be very consistent? Or are you constantly changing the setup like I am? It seems I have to tune it often if the track changes. I never really have it where I want it. It's always pretty good but not great. Overall I am happy with the buggy but frustrated at the same time that I can't make it drive the same each day at the track. It seems I always have too much rear traction and not enough steering. Or too much steering not enough traction. I would like to get to the point where the setup is good and I can just tune with tires. I have gone back to a full stick pack because I have found it to be more consistent. However I have not been able to beat my fastest lap with the shorty about .3 off.
This was my experience. I really loved the buggy. The quality, look, feel, but i just couldnt get it where i wanted. To be honest i feel the weak link was me. Not for lack of driving skill, but lack of tuning skill. For example, It took me several rebuilds to get the ball diff right. Ended up trying another brand. But still a great buggy. May revisit it sometime down the road.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you guys find this buggy to be very consistent? Or are you constantly changing the setup like I am? It seems I have to tune it often if the track changes. I never really have it where I want it. It's always pretty good but not great. Overall I am happy with the buggy but frustrated at the same time that I can't make it drive the same each day at the track. It seems I always have too much rear traction and not enough steering. Or too much steering not enough traction. I would like to get to the point where the setup is good and I can just tune with tires. I have gone back to a full stick pack because I have found it to be more consistent. However I have not been able to beat my fastest lap with the shorty about .3 off.
This car is extremely balanced and very forgiving!

Usually when a car does not work from one surface to another, or is plagued by inconsistency throughout a day, there is something imbalanced on the car. I have yet to have this problem on the 22 but with past vehicles when this happens, I would completely rebuild the car and rework the set-up back to a balanced position. Fixed my problem every time!

If you cannot get a well behaved car through tire tuning and absorber tuning, than there is something off with the car, look though the car, you will find your culprit(s)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note.... I have a question about 2 hole pistons (1.6) vs the 55 4 hole pistons..... the 2 hole piston has more pack (more turbulent, less laminar flow). My question is how does the static dampening feel compared to the 4 hole 55 piston. Usually with more pack I would have to lower the viscosity a little bit to get the same static dampening.

so if I am running a 30wt oil with 55 4 hole pistons, what weight oil would I have to use with the 2 hole piston to have similar static dampening???
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Which is an interesting statement because when the two cars were the B4 and the Losi XXX, the B4 had a significantly longer wheelbase (now +8mm longer).
It is funny as every Losi guy left at our track except for me either bought a shorter chassis or re drilled their stock chassis and made it 4 to 6mm shorter. I don't know if its better or not as I have only raced mine once but it seems pretty good to me. As I get to practice and race more with it and get to a few tracks will let me see if it is something I need to look at in the future. For right now I'm leaving it stock length and see how I do over the next few weeks.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Buggy felt alive last night. It was on its game. All I did was up my shock oil and it made all the difference. This is how it used to drive for me until they took down the track and put up the new one. Maybe I just needed heavier oil for the different track. I was able to drive it hard.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Buggy felt alive last night. It was on its game. All I did was up my shock oil and it made all the difference. This is how it used to drive for me until they took down the track and put up the new one. Maybe I just needed heavier oil for the different track. I was able to drive it hard.
So what wt did you go to? Also what springs if you dont mind me asking?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jkach
So what wt did you go to? Also what springs if you dont mind me asking?
Previously running red front yellow rear with 27.5 front and 25 rear. Losi oil.

I switched to Orange Front / Yellow Rear. 32.5 Losi oil on all 4 corners.

This is with a full stick pack. It made the car a lot more stable at some sections of the track.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Previously running red front yellow rear with 27.5 front and 25 rear. Losi oil.

I switched to Orange Front / Yellow Rear. 32.5 Losi oil on all 4 corners.

This is with a full stick pack. It made the car a lot more stable at some sections of the track.
I'm running same oil as you use to but with white rear springs. It's time for a rebuild so I will try the 32.5 all around and the yellow rear. I'll post up the results after the holidays (don't know if I'll get to the track before) Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Chevmaro, What pistons are you running? I'm running 55's cut bladders Thanks again
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jkach
Chevmaro, What pistons are you running? I'm running 55's cut bladders Thanks again
55's for now. I am changing them this weekend I want to try the 2 Hole pistons. I am going for 1.6 2 hole with the same oil. I run cut bladders as well.

I took some vacation next week. I get to spend a full 8 hours at the track the day after christmas. I was going to focus on buggy but it is running good now so I dont think I will have to. I will spend most of the day tuning my 22T that I have neglected lol. Cant wait for the Holiday.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Everyone runs AE at our track and most other tracks around my area Losi is not popular as they just say it don't have enough corner speed with the Longer chassis setup. We like my normal self I didn't listen and went against the grain and was rewarded with a great working buggy that is more than competitive. The only thing that is holding my car back from doing even better than I have done is me. Car has been super stable and very easy to drive quickly. Remember this is coming from a guy who never has been a Losi fan since they came out. Very impressed with 22 buggy but I already had the 22 SC and it was so good I bought the buggy. Couldn't be happier with my choice.
Thanks for the imput WYD,

I can't wait to get this thing on the track.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have tested the Kyosho springs extensively. During my personal testing and with others I noticed that the Kyosho springs allowed the car to absorb landings much better and the car felt more planted. This test was done at OCRC. The Kyosho springs have more coils therefore making them a lower frequency compared to the TLR springs. I believe the new AE springs are the same frequency (coil count) and a lot cheaper.

Now in regards to the Kyosho 1/8th springs they are the opposite. Less coils = higher frequency. We also tested these on 1/8th buggy and for our car we didn't prefer them. Our car was overly nervous and didn't have the grip compared to the TLR springs.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I want to try Kyosho big bore springs on my 22, however I cannot find a Kyosho spring rate chart anywhere online. If I am running Red Losi front springs and White Losi rear springs does anyone know what the Kyosho spring match would be?

Thank you.............
Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by synap2012
Do the Avid 1/10th big bore springs have the same low frequency coil as the Kyosho springs?
Similar but not the same. After running both I prefer the Kyosho but I've heard others say they prefer the Avid.

Originally Posted by Medicinal Coma
I want to try Kyosho big bore springs on my 22, however I cannot find a Kyosho spring rate chart anywhere online. If I am running Red Losi front springs and White Losi rear springs does anyone know what the Kyosho spring match would be?

Thank you.............
Here's the chart you seek. Courtesy of Arn0 @ PetitRC.com

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggyBigBoreSpring.pdf

However you don't want to compare rates and match them up. I suggest you start with pink front and gold rear and possibly try red rear also (especially if you are running a heavy full sized pack).
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Can someone please post a part# for the plastic rtr bleared shock caps?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Finally after 3 weeks I can run my buggy again. I raced it once but still only have about 8 packs thru it but today is all day practice for our big race on Sat so at least now I will get to run it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.