Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by the wheel
that is what i am working on now trying to get back to a smooth throtle finger coming from nitro it is hard if i can get that down for 2wd i will be alot fast i know but man it is hard
Taking a break from nitro I tried my hand at 1/10 onroad and it was pretty comical trying to break the "blipping" habit. You can always tell whos been running nitro
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default driving

Originally Posted by chaseman1
Taking a break from nitro I tried my hand at 1/10 onroad and it was pretty comical trying to break the "blipping" habit. You can always tell whos been running nitro
you are so right
Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CloseYetFar
What is the best way to throttle an electric car?
1. Pump the throttle like a nitro kit.
2. Timed consistent pull.
3. Pull just enough to get moving, then hammer down to get up to speed.
4. On and off trigger (cant see this one working well)

I seem to be using 1, 2, and 3 currently. I think I may be better off with just 2 and 3. Beginners seem to use 4 mostly.

What do you use?
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone built there shocks with the regular caps then gone to the rtr caps and felt or noticed a differance in how you buggy handles ,the reason im asking is my car is twitchygoing in and pushes mid to out ive tried all of the stuff people have suggested and its still the same ,thnx
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The only thing you've changed is the shock caps?

Did you use the RTR o-rings as well? I feel that the cut bladders offered a better seal.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blingy
Has anyone built there shocks with the regular caps then gone to the rtr caps and felt or noticed a differance in how you buggy handles ,the reason im asking is my car is twitchygoing in and pushes mid to out ive tried all of the stuff people have suggested and its still the same ,thnx
I've used the rtr caps in the past and am about to go back to them since they have the bleed screw. Not sure if i really noticed a difference in turning the buggy, maybe a slight difference in how it handled the bumps.
With your concern it sounds like the front of your buggy is to light. That will make it twitchy entering and pushy coming out. Are you running a shorty battery? have you added weight to the front of the car?
What kind of track is it and what tires are you running?

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta

Did you use the RTR o-rings as well? I feel that the cut bladders offered a better seal.
I think he means hes tried everything else but the rtr caps.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta

The caps should not change how the car feels at all assuming you bleed the shocks properly with both caps. Now I am obviously assuming you are running emulsion style (no bladder) for both setups. RTR caps are just way easier to bleed IMO.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

I am looking to try a gear diff right now for the time being just to try one out. What oil would be best to start with? Looking to have it setup properly in the race track conditions. Track is usually watered heavily and locked down fast by the time 2WD Buggy gets on the track.

I've been reading 2k a lot, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Indoor clay I run 5k
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twigman08
I am looking to try a gear diff right now for the time being just to try one out. What oil would be best to start with? Looking to have it setup properly in the race track conditions. Track is usually watered heavily and locked down fast by the time 2WD Buggy gets on the track.

I've been reading 2k a lot, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.
High bite clay I ran 2k last weekend but like above I am going to try 5k next weekend to see what I like better.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run on a small to med size indoor track that has a little clay my set up is this fr,55 27.5 red springs 3mm limiting middle top and bottom 25 and 5 c/l is in 1 w/2mm and none on caster block alum bulk head and brass kick shim, short batt w/ alum batt brace all the way forward rr, 55 25 unscrewed 3 turns mid on top out on arm white springs 1d w/2 mm under both ball studs trans raised 1 mm and for tires ive tried pink bk rr pink taper fr and pink tapers all around and green jcons barcodes v1 and v2 rips and barcodes on fr it seems no matter what tire combo i run it drives the same it has more rear traction than all of the rest of my friends 22's thanks for the help . and no bladders
Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Indoor clay, I'm running 3k in buggy. The truck is going to need thicker, probably 5-7k. Going to work on my slipper though this weekend on the truck and see if 3k will suffice. Didn't get time to experiment, just pulled from my 22 and installed in my 22t to run the main after I got barked at...

Anyone who says a gear diff in a 22 is a waste of time really needs to try one... Works well for me in buggy running mid motor...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Talking Geared Diff

Originally Posted by aaron2u
Indoor clay, I'm running 3k in buggy. The truck is going to need thicker, probably 5-7k. Going to work on my slipper though this weekend on the truck and see if 3k will suffice. Didn't get time to experiment, just pulled from my 22 and installed in my 22t to run the main after I got barked at...

Anyone who says a gear diff in a 22 is a waste of time really needs to try one... Works well for me in buggy running mid motor...
So I have a smart question from a dumb guy. Is the geared diff what comes in the RTR? Or is it something entirely different. I don't have a lot of spare time in between racing nights to spend tweaking on the car. I did read that the geared diff is pretty durable and doesn't need as much maintenance as the ball diff. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nEoNidas
So I have a smart question from a dumb guy. Is the geared diff what comes in the RTR? Or is it something entirely different. I don't have a lot of spare time in between racing nights to spend tweaking on the car. I did read that the geared diff is pretty durable and doesn't need as much maintenance as the ball diff. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Yes the RTR 22 comes with the gear diff and this is what many, myself included, have installed in their 22 kit to replace the ball diff. I race on carpet tracks and use 3000 wt oil currently.

Here is link to video of my A main win on Saturday to get an idea of how well it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Ey1...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nEoNidas
Mine has held up ok. I've got a few weekends on it, and when I pulled it out of the 22 for the 22t this past weekend, the outside of the case had some fluid on it, but the trans case was bone dry. I didn't have time to check the fluid level, so I just threw it in my truck to make the main.

I did sand the case with 600 grit to help the seal. I run Mugen 1/8th scale, so I'm used to refilling diffs... lol If I can go through 3 race weekends and 2 practice nights maintenance free, that's a win in my book!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.