R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Kyosho Big Bore Shocks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/457358-kyosho-big-bore-shocks.html)

RB5SP 11-30-2010 01:23 PM

Kyosho Big Bore Shocks

I was tempted to try kyosho's big bore shocks for the lazer and rb5. But before I go ahead and purchase them I was wondering if anyone got there hands on them already and if so how did they perform? was there a huge difference in handling things like that, any feedback would be appreciated.

johnnyboy 12-01-2010 08:27 AM

They just got released in North America so most of the guys don't have them on yet (mine will be here this week).

SQC049 12-01-2010 08:52 AM

Mine should be here today. I don't know of anyone who has run them yet.

S/X Runner 12-06-2010 07:16 AM

For some reason I can't find these. Does anyone have any part numbers or a link?

t0p_sh0tta 12-06-2010 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by RB5SP (Post 8279408)
I was tempted to try kyosho's big bore shocks for the lazer and rb5. But before I go ahead and purchase them I was wondering if anyone got there hands on them already and if so how did they perform? was there a huge difference in handling things like that, any feedback would be appreciated.

LIR has several sets in stock, as does my local shop (RCHR).

I believe Betts ran them yesterday (somebody's Lazer had a set). They look awesome, but springs are ~$20/pr if I remember correctly.

Glowster21 12-06-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta (Post 8304423)
LIR has several sets in stock, as does my local shop (RCHR).

I believe Betts ran them yesterday (somebody's Lazer had a set). They look awesome, but springs are ~$20/pr if I remember correctly.

Schumacher big bore springs are compatible if you use the Schumacher lower spring retainer :sneaky:

S/X Runner 12-06-2010 08:51 AM

I must be a moron. I still can't find these.

Link or part #'s please.

tel 12-06-2010 09:14 AM

I just got mine but have yet to race them.

Speedtech is only place I have seen them online yet.

Kyosho Big Bore Shock Set (Fnt, 30) Kyosho Big Bore Shock Set (Fnt, 30)
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...d=482&id=10452

Kyosho Big Bore Shock Set (Rr, 38) KYOW5304V
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...d=482&id=10453

New! Kyosho Complete Big Bore Shock Set (Front & Rear)
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...l.asp?id=10451

The shock kits don't come with any springs. Check out Tebo's setups on www.kyoshoamerica.com for RB5 and ZX5 to find the springs you'll likely need. Yes, you can use the Schumacher springs but you'll be on your own to find what works.

I believe these are the spring Tebo was running.
RB5 front Pink, rear Yellow
ZX5 front Yellow, rear Red

This is a list of Kyosho springs.

XGS001 Big Bore Fr. Shock Spring (Pink/Soft/2pcs)
XGS002 Big Bore Fr. Shock Spring (White/Medium Soft/2pcs)
XGS003 Big Bore Fr. Shock Spring (Gold/Medium/2pcs)
XGS004 Big Bore Fr. Shock Spring (Red/Medium Hard/2pcs)
XGS005 Big Bore Fr. Shock Spring (Yellow/Hard/2pcs)

XGS011 Big Bore Rr. Shock Spring (Pink/Soft/2pcs)
XGS012 Big Bore Rr. Shock Spring (White/Medium Soft/2pcs)
XGS013 Big Bore Rr. Shock Spring (Gold/Medium/2pcs)
XGS014 Big Bore Rr. Shock Spring (Red/Medium Hard/2pcs)
XGS015 Big Bore Rr. Shock Spring (Yellow/Hard/2pcs)

S/X Runner 12-06-2010 09:43 AM

Thank you.

desertracerdad 12-06-2010 09:44 AM

BB Shocks

I built and ran/raced with the big bores yesterday on both my FS2 and SP2...

On my FS2, they were outstanding and the difference was very noticeable. I let my buddy drive my buggy, whom also has a FS2 and he too said he noticed them and it was big difference over the standard shocks. The most noticeable difference was the stability added as the buggy seemed to "float" on the bumpier sections.

On the RB5, I only had Gold rear springs to use, so the buggy had a big (on power) push. I tried lowering the ride height in the front to help, but for the most part, it remained. Once I get the right rear springs, I know it will make a difference.

The shocks are very plush and I did not make any major changes to setup from the kit shocks, other than use the 4th (inside) hole on teh FS2 front shock tower. I am going to do a lot more testing prior to the Reedy Race and I'm sure the settings will advance a bit in the coming weeks. Stay tuned...

I spoke to Jeff @ Speedtech on Friday night and he has more springs coming from Japan...

RB5SP 12-06-2010 09:47 AM

which eyelets are you using on the shock shafts and how many turns out are u running on the sp2, I usually run -2 turns front and -4 for the rear shocks with a 1mm limiter on the shock shaft in ther rear.

ttboyy2k 12-06-2010 09:56 AM

Does anyone know the springs pound rates?

desertracerdad 12-06-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RB5SP (Post 8304973)
which eyelets are you using on the shock shafts and how many turns out are u running on the sp2, I usually run -2 turns front and -4 for the rear shocks with a 1mm limiter on the shock shaft in ther rear.

-2 in front, -4 in the rear, zero limiters...

leongkc 12-10-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by desertracerdad (Post 8304960)
I built and ran/raced with the big bores yesterday on both my FS2 and SP2...

On my FS2, they were outstanding and the difference was very noticeable. I let my buddy drive my buggy, whom also has a FS2 and he too said he noticed them and it was big difference over the standard shocks. The most noticeable difference was the stability added as the buggy seemed to "float" on the bumpier sections.

On the RB5, I only had Gold rear springs to use, so the buggy had a big (on power) push. I tried lowering the ride height in the front to help, but for the most part, it remained. Once I get the right rear springs, I know it will make a difference.

The shocks are very plush and I did not make any major changes to setup from the kit shocks, other than use the 4th (inside) hole on teh FS2 front shock tower. I am going to do a lot more testing prior to the Reedy Race and I'm sure the settings will advance a bit in the coming weeks. Stay tuned...

I spoke to Jeff @ Speedtech on Friday night and he has more springs coming from Japan...

For the springs, are you following tebo's setup, of yellow front, red rear for the ZX-5 and pink front, yellow rear for RB5?

Just curious, what is the type of track you run on?

desertracerdad 12-10-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by leongkc (Post 8323865)
For the springs, are you following tebo's setup, of yellow front, red rear for the ZX-5 and pink front, yellow rear for RB5?

Just curious, what is the type of track you run on?

I run on a med-high grip indoor/clay track that is kept damp/wet. The track layout is fantastic for buggies and I have listed what oil/springs I use.

SP2 (F) 32.5w Losi with Pink (R) 27.5w Losi with Red
FS2 (F) 37.5w Losi with Yellow (R) 32.5w Losi with Red