R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-21-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy Help!!! I'm to dumb to figure this out!!

Ok, i got my Futaba 3pk radio today, and i tryed to set up the wires in the speed controle (i saw a glimpce of a diagram for wires but now i don't see it now for some reason). But any way, i put the speed controle wire in the wrong plug area (by mistake ch1, ch2, ch3, and B/S<-- for the battery, i put the speed controle one in the ch3 slot insted of ch2). Ok, after that, i pluged in the battery for the T3 and the negative cable for the speed control started melting thr insulation off the wire (not to mention some thick plastic smelling smoke). I then, unpluged the battery for the blaintently obviose. Now, i got the plugs in the right place, the LED light for the speed control is still on, the battery still has juice. So, now i follow the instructions for level 1 set up (the basic setup for beginers). And i thought i went through it all, but nothings responding on my truck. Whats up with that...no negative energy? The crystal fry? I have no idea whats going on. Can anyone help?
98_T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Tech Addict

"Now, i got the plugs in the right place" What place were they in and where are they now? I'm assuming that you put the esc plug in the channel 2 slot then had the melting problem. In that case do you mean you rearranged the wires in the plug? Did you put the plug in backwards. It sounds like you fried your reciever by having the power wires in the wrong solts on the plug or buy putting a non Futaba style plug in backwards. What esc is it and how old is it? The old airtronics recievers used to use a different wire order and since your name is 98 T3 mabey its an old esc? Having the power wires in the opposite slots that they should be in would probably fry your reciever and since you saw smoke somethings probably wrong with it. your reciever gets its power fron the esc so if the steering isnt working then its likely that the problem is the reciever is fried or isnt getting power, and you know that the esc is getting power. Before you anything drastic take a look at a servo or esc with a futaba style plug and make sure that the wires are in that same order and that you plug it in with the wires in the same order as the Futaba style plug. You can also pop open the case and see if everything looks ok. The case comes off [retty easily I've accidently pulled it apart a couple times when pulling it off the chassis.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to ctardi

well, first off, you are TOO dumb, not TO dumb. . .hehe,

i think you fried your receiver there buddy. . .tut tut, such a nice radio system, that receiver that came with it will run you around $100 to replace. Also, are you using HRS with a ESC? that could cause problems.
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:08 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The 3PK has an option to switch off the HRS for Channel 2 (throttle) to use the radio with ESC's. Using the HRS with an ESC will usually fry either the ESC or the reciever.

And in the future..please title your thread with someone that's relevent to the information in the thread.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Addict

you can't just switch it off for 1 channel, i wish you could. To get off hrs, you need to buy a new receiver, and then you switch hrs on/off by changing it for the whole model
Old 07-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I thought I heard somewhere when the radio first came out in the U.S. that using HRS with an ESC would blow it up..and that you could turn HRS off for channel 2 only..guess not.

The closest related item to that in the 3PK manual are specific instructions to set up an ESC that is not reacting properly in HRS mode.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
Tech Addict

regardless, you need digital servos to use hrs anyway, it ends up being cheeper to get a new receiver
Old 07-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Ok, after reading your posts, it's becoming clear. I think i have and ECS...if i remember right (it's been a while). So yeah. I was thinking of some new hop ups any way. Like a digital servo. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 PM   #9
Tech Addict

live learn, and read the manual
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #10
Tech Addict

What does "I think i have and ECS" mean? Did you buy the HRS or PCM version? I think the HRS reciever has HRS written on it. You can't shut off HRS on channel 2, using the DSC cord (not included with the radio) you can program ESCs that the HRS frame rate is too fast for and prevents the ESC from being setup normally. Not being able to set up the esc will not make the wires that attach to the reciever heat up and start smoking so whichever reciever you have is probably fried.

Last edited by AE Racer; 07-22-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Tech Addict

yes, it has hrs written on it
Old 07-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #12
Tech Addict

What esc is he using? If its old he probably needs to set it up using the DSC cord.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, i got old stuff. I need to update...and learn how to read better LOL. I'll keep you all posted when it works.