Wiki Posts
Search

SCT Body Weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default SCT Body Weight

I was looking at ways to save some weight on the Blitz. Of course, unsprung weight and up-high weight are even better. So I have done a few things, even some of borderline value, perhaps, such as taking hold of a nice sale I saw on Lunsford turnbuckles and hingepins over at Boca Hobbies. I swapped in a lighter servo with similar specs. A nice thing I would like is to move from the MMP ESC to a Tekin, which drops 0.8 ounce, lets it go behind the battery and makes it not scary to cut the power wire to the best length.

But I just put my painted Manta body on the scale at 7.875 ounces and my stock RTR Blitz body that came with the truck at 6.25 ounces. That's 1.625 ounces, which is pretty tough to get from other truck changes. So, I am thinking light bodies (even if they get damaged a bit faster) are a worthwhile look. Does anyone have a good idea what is a good way to go for body weight? Is it the way they paint the RTR with thinner/lighter paint, or is it the lexan weight that is thicker on some brands? BTW, I like the way some bodies for the Slash fit on the Blitz, so definitely not a Blitz-only topic.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I noticed a big difference in handling between my stock SC10 body and the really cool looking JConcepts Dare body we painted up for it. It was the difference between a truck that drove "right"... and "not right".

It seems to be the thickness of the body, combined with the amount of paint. RTR bodies are screen printed, and use less paint. So if you start with a thinner body, use relatively lightweight decals(also printed) then use just enough base/background paint to make it opaque, you should see better performance.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

SC10 09' C.E. bodies are the lightest and thinnest I've seen. They're real thin on the sides but still thick in the trouble spots. It's also one of the toughest bodies I've used, race only.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
I noticed a big difference in handling between my stock SC10 body and the really cool looking JConcepts Dare body we painted up for it. It was the difference between a truck that drove "right"... and "not right".
Body shape can change the handling also. When I raced touring cars the body you had made a big difference in how the car handled. The dare vs SC10 are quite different shape wise. I bet some of difference you felt was from the shape of the body alone.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
Body shape can change the handling also. When I raced touring cars the body you had made a big difference in how the car handled. The dare vs SC10 are quite different shape wise. I bet some of difference you felt was from the shape of the body alone.
The heavier body weighs about 40% more than the other. It makes the truck roll too much in the corners, ruining the handling. They both "parachute" the same way.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
The heavier body weighs about 40% more than the other. It makes the truck roll too much in the corners, ruining the handling. They both "parachute" the same way.
I was not referring to the "parachute" effect. The slant of the nose and cab effect cornering. One body has lights on it making for a very flat surface the other does not. This can change the handling of the truck in corners. Just something to think about before saying the poor handling was all weight related.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

These trucks are already heavy as it is I have a VERY hard time seeing weight of a short course body being the thing that made the car handle good and not good.

Plus most of us race on dirt. We race on a track that is ever changing. No matter what is going on the track is changing. It is basically just the laws of physics on that. So what's to say it isn't just the track being a tiny bit different?

Hell, even with this trucks as heavy as they are, most of us even go ahead and add MORE weight to the back of the truck. Honestly, my biltz was a pretty dang heavy blitz to some of the others I've felt and drove. Even with all that weight it didn't make a single difference down the straight and I still think it handled better in the corner!