R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Off roader for 10 year old boy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/455195-off-roader-10-year-old-boy.html)

MrEs 11-23-2010 02:24 AM

Off roader for 10 year old boy

Hey all,

I've never really been into off roaders, and I've been out of the RC scene for a long time; but I was after some advice on what to get my 10 year old nephew as an awesome combined birthday/Christmas present.

I'm trying to keep my spend under $400. Need everything included from radio, electrics, battery, charger etc. I want it to be simple, preferably a AC charger that he can plug into the wall (It's 240v here in Australia) to charge. I dont mind if charging takes a little while (for now). In the long run I do have intention of getting LiPo and a new charger but for the sake of getting him up and going I want something basic now.

This is most definately going to be a bash around car and needs to be tough, sturdy, easy and fun.... Easy to maintain and runs well as-is out-of-the-box without needing to do any mods or hop ups.

So, I've been eyeing of a Traxxas Slash 4X4 RTR.

What are people's thoughts on this car given my sitation? What other options choices do people recommend?

Looking forward to your advice, thanks!
Denis.

Fordy 11-23-2010 03:47 AM

I recently bought a Losi strike from the states delivered (to Aust) for $165 BNIB (ebay), it was a BND so you will still need a controller, battery and charger...but it did come with the 2.4 receiver.

I though that was a bit of a bargain the strike hasn't got the greatest reviews but for the $$$ no complaints from me.

Dlewis4 11-23-2010 03:58 AM

Slash 2wd. Nuff said

forwardonly 11-23-2010 04:39 AM

Any of the Slash vehicles are good. The mini Revo is a hoot. If your nephew doesn't need something larger, the RC19T is a lot of fun, 4wd, and very upgradable. My kids love their RC18s.

The Stampede is a popular choice as well, but 2wd.

You really just need to figure out what type of vehicle to get your nephew. 2wd, 4wd, truck, monster truck, stadium truck, buggy, etc.... The Traxxas products are good for bashing and parts are readily available at most shops and if not, definitely online.

Good luck.

hammer8 11-23-2010 04:39 AM

traxxas rustler vxl - good on stock batts insane on 3s lipo all incuded but you would need a different charger for the nimh or an adapter
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDA9**&P=ML

lil_man72 11-23-2010 06:51 AM

slash

i'd go with the 2 or 4wd slash. there a blast to drive and are very durable.
if you've already got your eye on the 4wd go ahead and get it.

Trevor Williams 11-23-2010 06:55 AM

Losi xxx-sct.......RTR for around $240ish I believe, it will be released on the 30th of this month............Losi parts support is EVERYWHERE. Buy him a punchy nimh pack and a good charger and be done with it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-Course-Truck

bajabro 11-23-2010 07:27 AM

Traxxas slash 2wd. You will have plenty of cash for a charger and a couple batteries. Truck is very durable and easy to work on.

jeff hughes 11-23-2010 07:33 AM

If you get a Traxxas, get a VXL slash or Rustler. Tough trucks, and brushless will be way better for him than brushed.

Do get a better charger, and you get get batteries cheap on ebay.

reno911 11-23-2010 08:01 AM

Slash or Stampede.

Stampede 4x4 would be nice if available on Xmas.

jeff hughes 11-23-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by reno911 (Post 8249116)
Slash or Stampede.

Stampede 4x4 would be nice if available on Xmas.

I agree with the Stampede too as long as you go 2wd brushless.

I like the 4x4 Slash or Stampede, but 4wd is more complex to maintain. The Traxxas 4x4 Slash/Stampede platform still has some issues that still need to be addressed...

This is for the guy's nephew, so he's not gonna be on hand all of the time to help work on the car.

MrEs--You should go ahead and get some shock oil and hex wrenches for him too...

jeff hughes 11-23-2010 08:11 AM

double post for some reason

CR0SS 11-23-2010 08:44 AM

I would go with Slash. Durable truck he can enjoy. Along with some extra shock oil also buy an extra set of suspension arms. Get him setup up so he can go drive it but also crash and have some parts on hand to fix it. Being your nephews truck you will not be there to fix it so do what you can to make sure he has what is needed to fix it.

BuggyKing 11-23-2010 09:08 AM

Yes Slash is good choice, but for a more of a racer I would go with the HPI Blitz cause its a good platform for racing. A little bit better handling is durable truck to take the abuse.:nod::nod::nod:

jeff hughes 11-23-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by CR0SS (Post 8249257)
I would go with Slash. Durable truck he can enjoy. Along with some extra shock oil also buy an extra set of suspension arms. Get him setup up so he can go drive it but also crash and have some parts on hand to fix it. Being your nephews truck you will not be there to fix it so do what you can to make sure he has what is needed to fix it.

Cross is right, hook the kid up with RPM bearing carriers, caster blocks, and A arms(these cost just a bit more than stock, but are almost unbreakable). Those parts will break, and once replaced with RPM, the truck really will be almost bombproof...