R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
Yes Slash is good choice, but for a more of a racer I would go with the HPI Blitz cause its a good platform for racing. A little bit better handling is durable truck to take the abuse.
I will chime in and als recommend a slash, either two wheel or four, doesn't really matter, just preference. Is there a track nearby, or will he just use it in the yard? If there is a track, chances are the racing bug will bite him and the slash has its limitations. So if you think he might want to race, I reccoment an associated sc10 Rte brushless. They are pretty durable, great for racing, fun to drive, easy to work on, tons of hop-up parts, and probably the easiest to get parts for.
BryanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Stampede
Rustler
Slash

Seeing how its for a 10 year old. They are all pretty durable trucks, with HUGE aftermarket support. The Pede and Rusty have been around for many years without any major changes to them, and the Slash uses the same parts, so chances are that parts can be found just about anywhere. VXL would be really nice to have just due to the reliability of them over the brushed set up.

One of the nicest parts of Traxxas is the training mode on the ESC, it cuts it to 50%/100%/50% (fwd/brakes/rev).

Just my 2¢...
Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to MrEs

Wow thanks guys, work up this morning to a lot of replies

Sounds like the Traxxas stuff gets a lot of really good feedback which I'm pleased with! So i guess I'm going to stick with them and after you replies and a little more reading it seems like i really have two decisions to make:

Stampede or slash?
2wd or 4wd?

Brushless is a definite =)

So it's out of these four
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXYNB0**&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDB3**&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDA8**&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUY**&P=ML

I'll have to try and read up more on the pros/cons of the stampede Vs the Slash. I've only ever have 4wd (touring) cars in my life and i dont imagine 2wd to be any good; especially for an off roader where you have a much greater change of loosing contact on one end of the car?

And although There's a track near by but he won't be racing, not at least for a few more years, his weekends are full of sports activities. So it is purely a basher, in the street, down near the creek, in the backyard, in some paddocks, maybe at grand-dads farm now and then.

He will need to be able to look after it himself, although i'll probably guide him through the first few fixes =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff hughes View Post
Cross is right, hook the kid up with RPM bearing carriers, caster blocks, and A arms(these cost just a bit more than stock, but are almost unbreakable). Those parts will break, and once replaced with RPM, the truck really will be almost bombproof...
Hrmmm any chance you can send me a link or something so I can see exactly what you mean with these? =)
MrEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Also, a few of you mentioned shock oil... Is this because the standard stuff is rubbish? Or just so he has some when he rebuilds shocks?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

www.rpmrcproducts.com

good stuff...
jeff hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEs View Post
Also, a few of you mentioned shock oil... Is this because the standard stuff is rubbish? Or just so he has some when he rebuilds shocks?
Half the time there's not enough(if any) out of the box...
Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

There is no doubt that 4wd is better in many ways...

But, there's a lot more to deal with from moving parts perspective(and the 4wd slash is a new platform with issues)...

And, if 400 bucks is your budget, you'll get a lot more for your money with a 2wd...

Now if you want to drop a grand on an EREVO Brushless with two 8000 mah lipos and a Hyperion charger, I fully support that choice...
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

for my son i will be getting him the vxl stampede since he is in the stage where he wants to run over everything
carcrazy699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy699 View Post
for my son i will be getting him the vxl stampede since he is in the stage where he wants to run over everything
Haha they would probably be in a similar situation, are you thinking 2wd or 4wd?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff hughes View Post
www.rpmrcproducts.com

good stuff...
Cheers, once I decide what I'm getting, i'll tack on a few of those for sure
Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #26
Tech Addict

I would easily suggest a slash.

Sure the 4wd Slash does have it's problems but honestly that seems to be from a racers perspective. Around here these things are bashed to freaking death and take some of the hardest hits I've ever seen ANY rc car ever take (1/8 scale included) and they just keep on ticking.

Though from a basher perspective I would easily go with the 4WD Slash if 4WD is what you want. It will act just fine for a basher and your 10 year old. Trust me. I see younger kids take these to our track and try to go around the whole track full throttle and hit everything in sight and take some crazy hard landings. They just keep on going. Funny stuff to watch. lol.
twigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
Tech Adept

How is the surrounding, will ur nephew run on flat surfaces or is there some real offroad/rocky spots, 2wd will give up rather quickly in rough terrain. I recently got a sc10 and that car would never take the rough.
hoousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Well it'll mainly be used in the (quiet) streets, park or backyard would my guess. Occasional use down the creek or grand dads farm.

He's used to have a touring car so i'd imagine that the Slash would be better after more reading/watching videos. It's more suited to driving as well as bashing/jumping etc...

So i guess I've decided on a slash, now need to just decide on 2wd Vs 4x4 and how far the budget can stretch Vs how competent I think he's going to be with maintenance.

Anyways it seems highly recommended to get stiffer/constant springs, shock oil, bearings (stainless/Waterproof/more durable ones?) and (more durable?) shock caps. Am i getting this right? So what are the bang-for-buck parts that people recommend in the above areas.... ?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #29
Tech Adept

My thoughts on the above parts are...
* Bearings will make it more 'water proof'?
* Shock caps will make it handle jumps better?
* Springs will fix the infamous 'bounce' issue?
* Shock oil, 60wt to stop it bottoming out on jumps

Are any of these considered 'must dos' ? =)

But maybe running it stock is the go for now and that gives you reasons to upgrade later when things and beginning to fail and upgrades are "needed" =)

Last edited by MrEs; 11-24-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy699 View Post
I agree with the Stampede or maybe a Rustler VXL. The Slashes are good, but IMO for bashing there not the best due to there small tires. Im a basher and have tried a few SCTs including the Slash and when it comes to grass there useless. And thats the reason I sold/traded them off. The Rustler and Stampede have much better traction on grass. I have a Stampede and its one of my favorites, but I would suggest the Rustler. Its great off-road and just as good onroad. At $300 this leaves you $100 to buy another 8.4v Nimh pack and decent peak charger. Charger is shurely needed. If he catches the "bug" and starts running alot he'll shurely want the battery quicker than 8 hours.
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote