Default Roughing up slipper clutch

Is there a method of doing this?
Sandpaper?
What grade?

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ThunderbirdJunkie likes to hit the aluminum discs with 1000-1500 grit sandpaper and wipe the pads themselves down with alcohol. Helps get a little more life out of them, which is great for us cheap folk
Old 11-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

You can also use green Scotch Brite pads or even using a hobby knife and scrape the glaze off the pads .
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
You can also use green Scotch Brite pads or even using a hobby knife and scrape the glaze off the pads .

+1. The plates shouldn't get dirty/glazed and should be easy enough to refresh with motor spray.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When the pads get glazed over with use just use a sharp exacto blade and scrape off the glazing on the pads then just reinstall. You really do not have to use motor spray on them. Reinstall and then just readjust your slipper.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't scuff the plates personally, if they were supose to be rough they would come that way I would think. I scuff the glaze off the pads on a foam sanding block. Can't give you a grit it's simply medium I work them in a figure 8 just like with diff. balls. It works and at $7 a pair it can save a bunch off $ for other stuff.
Piles likes this.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use 300 grit sandpaper to take the glaze off of the slipper pads. I made a little tool to hold the slipper pads so that way they get sanded evenly. To make the tool I take a worn out spur gear and cut all the teeth off with a dremel, that way when you put the slipper pads on it they stick out the furthest and are the only thing contacting the sandpaper. I've found that this tool is important for keeping the slipper pads even, and it makes it way easier to sand them because you have something to hold on to. Sometimes pad material is on the disks too, so I use a new razor blade to shave the pad material off of the disks. After all of this I clean everything with motor spray, and I make sure to not touch any area where the pads and disks meet so that way they don't get contaminated with oils from my fingers. I put everything back together and adjust my slipper.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Motor spray the pads clean (scrape with x-acto if overly loaded up)

Flat sand the slipper plates lightly with 1200-1500 and motor spray them clean.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I take care of both the slipper plate and pads. The pads usually don't need much, just enough to knock the shiny glaze off. I use fine and try not to remove much.

MT slipper plates tend to get polished and I get better performance from mine sanding them so they're not poilshed looking anymore. Use some 800 grit. Clean everything up with motor spray.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cheers guys.
I am trying to eliminate a strange whining/slipping (almost grinding?) sound on WOT acceleration from stand still when I have decent grip (i.e. carpet), though roughing up the pads didn't really do much for it. I thought it might have been overly glazed pads. Something is definitely slipping.. It must be the diff?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by maxwolfie
Cheers guys.
I am trying to eliminate a strange whining/slipping (almost grinding?) sound on WOT acceleration from stand still when I have decent grip (i.e. carpet), though roughing up the pads didn't really do much for it. I thought it might have been overly glazed pads. Something is definitely slipping.. It must be the diff?
It's your dif it should not slip.... I would rebuild the dif if it has some time on it and the slipper is your friend..... i should slip the first foot when you give it gas. Good luck!