Wiki Posts
Search

RC manufacturers: who owns whom?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I'm an obvious AE guy but I gotta give a big thumbs up to companies like X-factory, Castor and TQ for taking a gamble and going up against the big dogs. I'm old enough to remember when LOSI didn't exist!!

But not old enough to remember that they did exist prior to R/C in the skateboard industry? A couple fewer race wins and Gil Losi Jr. coulda' wound up being his generation's Tony Hawk.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Jammin/Hong Nor are the same also i believe
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdowney
- Team Durango and Axial are owned by some Asian company. Who is that and what else do they own?
I didn't know they were associated with each other. I recall Team Durango was started by two German guys, Gerd Strenge and Michael Vollmer, who were developing the Durango prototypes in conjunction with Serpent.

Originally Posted by hakmazter
I think the easiest way to explain it is think of Cen as Ford and Caster as GM. Both make multiple things for multiple customers and a lot of them are brands that people unquestionably recognize.

Pretend it is a few years ago before the recession as the auto market...

Think of Caster USA as Saab. Every bit as good as any other GM, popular outside of the US, irrelevant to GM for staying in business, and having the capacity to use GM parts to build their cars and the freedom to do what we want. Saab has a loyal following of a few and is pretty much not interesting to the general public. I think that is where we are in 2010.

But I also believe that on the other hand, we are more like Toyota probably around 1985 where everyone hated them in the 70s, they keep making things better and better, etc... I honestly believe that we will be Toyota of the 2000s in the near future. People see we have been around now, we actually communicate with our customers like no one else, and we strive to make improvements literally on a daily basis if we see there is an issue (real or perceived) and we always have solutions....and we try to be innovative with our limited resources.

Who knows, maybe we will end up being like Saab, but in a bad economy we are still growing slowly instead of shrinking and Saab is still here.
FYI, Saab is no longer owned by GM, but rather by a small Dutch automaker named Spyker Cars N.V. that's best known for making high performance supercars. Perhaps a closer analogy could be Opel or Holden to GM or SEAT to Volkswagen.

Last edited by encore75; 11-19-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
But not old enough to remember that they did exist prior to R/C in the skateboard industry? A couple fewer race wins and Gil Losi Jr. coulda' wound up being his generation's Tony Hawk.
Old enough, not sure, but plywood surfing was never my thing so I wouldn't have known anyway
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
I thought Allen Losi was? Variflex, and Losi Skate Designs, with rather interesting graphics.

But my personal favorite:

http://nosebleed.com/yo-yo/teamlosi/tlpics.html
Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by encore75
I didn't know they were associated with each other. I recall Team Durango was started by two German guys, Gerd Strenge and Michael Vollmer, who were developing the Durango prototypes in conjunction with Serpent.

FYI, Saab is no longer owned by GM, but rather by a small Dutch automaker named Spyker Cars N.V. that's best known for making high performance supercars. Perhaps a closer analogy could be Opel or Holden to GM or SEAT to Volkswagen.
I know. That is why I preceeded it with "pretend it is a few years ago" Very few people know what an Opel or a Holden is and there are none in the US. Well, technically there are a few Sky owners who did conversions.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very few people know what an Opel or a Holden is and there are none in the US.
Just to nail you on a technicality

What was the topic again?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by markt311

MRC used to be the distributer for Tamiya in the 80's- early 90's. Now MRC produces their own products I believe.

It's enough to make your head spin sometimes
MRC just imports gear and puts their brand on it, The Academy line is from Korea....
Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Losi camp use to run the old sk8 park in Colton the skate Ranch, and i think at that time they started or bought the Variflex brand of sk8`s. they had a
small r/c track there i think and thats how it all started.Then the park closed like all of them and they moved full time into r/c with the Ranch pit shop in pomona, my first r/c Jr-t pre slipper clutch daze.And plywood surfing love that!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

I know. That is why I preceeded it with "pretend it is a few years ago" Very few people know what an Opel or a Holden is and there are none in the US. Well, technically there are a few Sky owners who did conversions.
They exported the Holden Monaro into the States and rebadged it as the Pontiac GTO.

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/..._feature9.html

It even turned up in a car-set for rFactor under that moniker.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Opels were sold at Buick dealerships from the late '50s through mid-late '70s if I remember correctly. A couple of my relatives had them.

Anybody remember the GT? Looked sorta like a mini Corvette. (The late '60s to early '80s ones with the tall front fenders)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Opels were sold at Buick dealerships from the late '50s through mid-late '70s if I remember correctly. A couple of my relatives had them.

Anybody remember the GT? Looked sorta like a mini Corvette. (The late '60s to early '80s ones with the tall front fenders)
See http://www.rctech.net/forum/8232169-post52.html
Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
I thought Allen Losi was? Variflex, and Losi Skate Designs, with rather interesting graphics.

But my personal favorite:

http://nosebleed.com/yo-yo/teamlosi/tlpics.html
Losi Skate Designs...or L.S.D. This is an ad from around 1987
Attached Thumbnails RC manufacturers: who owns whom?-losi-skate-designs-alan-losi-1987.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Yeah, I didn't realize it from the rear view at first, then after I posted....yikes, ya got me!

My future brother in law had one, it was fun on the right road. Is that one yours? Recent picture?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

OK who has actually manufactured in U.S. kits? CEN I think, anyone else. Alot of companies are U.S. owned but outsource the building. Also which electronics are made in the U.S. I update cars pretty regual and wouldn't mind supporting our own people instead those who would like to see us dead. I know China hates us and thats where most of our stuff comes from. Funny they hate us so bad because if we weren't buying their products they would be living in sage grass huts and eating white rice raw with their fingers. I'm not sure why they hate us so much but I say F*ckum. In RC its hard to avoid buying Chinese but for the rest of my stuff I try to stick to American even if it cost more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.