R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #46
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Coast
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

It works fine to me. it will be good truck for indoor and small track.
RustyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #47
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Havasu AZ
Posts: 1,143
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRC View Post
It works fine to me. it will be good truck for indoor and small track.

Well" That helps alot I guess it's not working very well because
you don't want to talk about how it jumps (small & large) how it turns in
tight,med,sweeping corners, turn in under power,off power, turn out under
power tight,med,sweeping corners. Straight line stability under power. All
these questions need to be answered and with the batteries in what
location?? does it work best...

Your info. tells none of us anything about how your truck works. How
about help us out a little here would ya Rusty??
Chuck 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #48
Tech Elite
 
T-BirdJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norwood, OH...and CCRCR and The OhioRCFactory
Posts: 2,973
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie
Default

Hey, Chuck, since Rusty is obviously unable to write us a full track test to your satisfaction, why don't you build one, and then test it for us so we know exactly how it performs

Haters gon' hate.
T-BirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #49
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Havasu AZ
Posts: 1,143
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
Hey, Chuck, since Rusty is obviously unable to write us a full track test to your satisfaction, why don't you build one, and then test it for us so we know exactly how it performs

Haters gon' hate.

No ones hating" (well except maybe you) LOL"

I've built and sold plenty of mid motor R/C cars since 1983 building one is
no problem at all.

The report I asked for (Mr. smarty pants) was for others on here who might
be reading this & know nothing about mid motor R/C cars...

Haters get over yourself LOL"
Chuck 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #50
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o View Post
To get the proper direction, drill out the top shaft hole on the other half of the gearbox, turn to top shaft around and mount the motor plate to the other side. No need for special forth gear. I did this many years ago for a gearbox on road class.
Bob Oaks
Well, I was thinking that through and even did some drawing to be sure, when I did my own conversion.
Imho that doesn't change anything. The rotor oft the motor still spins in the same direction as before, in relation to the tires. No matter how you turn the motor, it always spins in the opposite direction of the tires. That creates a moment of force on the chassis which puts more weight to the front.

To bring more weight on the rear tires, if sitting in the mid motor configuration, it needs to spin in the same direction as the tires. Only possible with 2 or 4 gear boxes.

Andi
Attached Thumbnails
Here is AE SC10  Mid Motor Conversion pic-sketch.jpg  
andreas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #51
Tech Addict
 
trx-1racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chandler/Tucson
Posts: 676
Default

I hope his truck runs awesome! As a former scratch builder I love the effort.

As for the 3 or 4 gear tranny, EVERYONE that is "serious" about building a mid-motor car uses 4 gears. Even TLR went so far as to build multiple transmissions for their new car... nuf said.
__________________
www.shortcoursehobbies.com

T-RCE Slash 4x4 - Kyosho SC-R - TLR 22

Think you're fast? Try racing in Arizona, it's like going to the Nats every weekend...
trx-1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #52
Tech Adept
 
rc east's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas78 View Post
Well, I was thinking that through and even did some drawing to be sure, when I did my own conversion.
Imho that doesn't change anything. The rotor oft the motor still spins in the same direction as before, in relation to the tires. No matter how you turn the motor, it always spins in the opposite direction of the tires. That creates a moment of force on the chassis which puts more weight to the front.

To bring more weight on the rear tires, if sitting in the mid motor configuration, it needs to spin in the same direction as the tires. Only possible with 2 or 4 gear boxes.

Andi
For all you anti-over-thinkers, Andreas is absolutley right! drilling your case and swapping sides does NOTHING. The armature still has to spin opposite the wheels. The only way for the armature to spin the same direction as the wheels is, you guessed it, A FOURTH GEAR

Last edited by rc east; 12-06-2010 at 08:06 AM.
rc east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #53
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Havasu AZ
Posts: 1,143
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas78 View Post
Well, I was thinking that through and even did some drawing to be sure, when I did my own conversion.
Imho that doesn't change anything. The rotor oft the motor still spins in the same direction as before, in relation to the tires. No matter how you turn the motor, it always spins in the opposite direction of the tires. That creates a moment of force on the chassis which puts more weight to the front.

To bring more weight on the rear tires, if sitting in the mid motor configuration, it needs to spin in the same direction as the tires. Only possible with 2 or 4 gear boxes.

Andi


I was leaving this alone (BUT") since you brought it up I'll now put my
.02 in on the 3 gear vs 4 gear thing being I've built & sold at least 1000
3 gear cars since 1983/84...

Since you brought up the fact the 3 gear puts more force on the front
tires under power & the 4 gear does not.

The 4 gear does exactly what you say" it makes the car push under power
coming off the corner.. This makes the car/truck easier to drive for novice
drivers. Most people can drive a pushing car/truck. Great idea for beginers.

Now the 3 gear on the other hand" Powers out of coners with tons of on
power steering alowing advanced to expert drivers to power out of corners
while holding nice tight lines (fast lines) ....

Both will work, I've built both & sold only the 3 gear because my target
customers were advanced to expert drivers.

IMHO, they both have their place, the 3 gear is much simpler and much
more aggressive on the track then the 4 gear which is easier to drive for
your average club racer.

Enjoy what ever you build or drive, everything has it's good points..
Chuck 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #54
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Default

Ok, the thing is, I'm driving a 3 gear tranny, too. But it's mostly due to the easier built.
Of course I can see, that it's just another thing to influence the handling. I actually like the way my Academy SC conversion drives, maybe I'm gonna do a 4 gear tranny, because I'm curious how it affects handling. Especially in SC, where the longer wheelbase adds stability, a 3 gear design might be better most of the times.

Actually, I just wanted to point out, the effort to turn the motor around is just useless.

Andi
andreas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #55
Tech Adept
 
rc east's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 21 View Post
I was leaving this alone (BUT") since you brought it up I'll now put my
.02 in on the 3 gear vs 4 gear thing being I've built & sold at least 1000
3 gear cars since 1983/84...

Since you brought up the fact the 3 gear puts more force on the front
tires under power & the 4 gear does not.

The 4 gear does exactly what you say" it makes the car push under power
coming off the corner.. This makes the car/truck easier to drive for novice
drivers. Most people can drive a pushing car/truck. Great idea for beginers.

Now the 3 gear on the other hand" Powers out of coners with tons of on
power steering alowing advanced to expert drivers to power out of corners
while holding nice tight lines (fast lines) ....

Both will work, I've built both & sold only the 3 gear because my target
customers were advanced to expert drivers.

IMHO, they both have their place, the 3 gear is much simpler and much
more aggressive on the track then the 4 gear which is easier to drive for
your average club racer.

Enjoy what ever you build or drive, everything has it's good points..
So....... the new Losi 22 and the X-factory cars are geared twards novice beginners and not advanced experts........ ok
rc east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #56
Tech Adept
 
rc east's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas78 View Post
Actually, I just wanted to point out, the effort to turn the motor around is just useless.

Andi
rc east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #57
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Coast
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

It is nothing to do with gears, all you need to set the ratio to change pinion and spur. Only is main reason is mid motor handle better than rear motor.

here the story:



The ideal weight distribution is "50/50" (i.e. the center of mass is mid-way between the front and rear axles). In steady-state cornering, front-heavy cars tend to understeer and rear-heavy cars to oversteer, all other things being equal. The mid-engine design seeks to achieve the ideal center of mass, though front-engine design have a.

The rearward weight bias preferred by sports and racing cars results from handling effects during the transition from straight-ahead to cornering. During corner entry the front tires, in addition to generating part of the lateral force required to accelerate the car's center of mass into the turn, also generate a torque about the car's vertical axis that starts the car rotating into the turn. However, the lateral force being generated by the rear tires is acting in the opposite torsional sense, trying to rotate the car out of the turn. For this reason, a car with "50/50" weight distribution will understeer on initial corner entry. To avoid this problem, sports and racing cars often have a more rearward weight distribution. In the case of pure racing cars, this is typically between "40/60" and "35/65".[citation needed] This gives the front tires an advantage in overcoming the car's moment of inertia (yaw angular inertia), thus reducing corner-entry understeer.
RustyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #58
Tech Adept
 
rc east's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRC View Post
It is nothing to do with gears, all you need to set the ratio to change pinion and spur. Only is main reason is mid motor handle better than rear motor.
rc east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #59
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Coast
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc east View Post
I know that 4th gear moves like grandmama for begineers!
RustyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #60
Tech Adept
 
rc east's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRC View Post
It is nothing to do with gears, all you need to set the ratio to change pinion and spur. Only is main reason is mid motor handle better than rear motor.

.
Can somebody please translate this for me!!!!!!!!
rc east is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net