Brushless D8Te

Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushless D8Te

Bought a HB D8T with the intention of converting it to brushless, to go with my HB Ve8.
I looked at getting a RCM motor mount, but decided to go with a Ve8 one peice motor mount.
As I was working out where to put everything I relised a few options are available:
1: what I have done, pros: any size motor
a more balanced set up
cons: have to turn the center diff
having to cut an extra slot in the chassis
no mechanical brakes
2: a Ve8 setup pros: no cutting or turning diff
mechanical brakes
cons: limited motors
Both require Ve8 motor mount, Tekno rc long shank pinion, ve8 center diff mount and Ve8 top diff support or modified D8T top diff support.

Note: for this conversion use a drill press, for a much easier and much neater unlike mine.

My setup:
D8T
Ve8 one peice motor mount
Ae Rc8e battery tray
Castle Creations 1518 1y 1800Kv motor
Castle Creations Mamba Monster V3
Hitec HS-5955TG for steering
Venom 4s 5000mah 35-50c Hard Case lipos
Tekno RC 18t long shank pinion
Brushless D8Te-imgp0286.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0287.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0288.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0289.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0292.jpg

Last edited by bmr919; 12-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i like it, let me know what kind of run times you get. how do you like the hobby wing esc and motor... iam doing a eletric conversion and trying to decide on a esc and motor and maybe try to save a few bucks and go with say a 2200 mah battery at least a 30c rating
Old 11-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scottc View Post
i like it, let me know what kind of run times you get. how do you like the hobby wing esc and motor... iam doing a eletric conversion and trying to decide on a esc and motor and maybe try to save a few bucks and go with say a 2200 mah battery at least a 30c rating
Hi
the hobby wind xerun 150a esc's are good, mine doesn't much hotter than ambient temp, as for the hobby wing motor i don't know but if you want a good sensored motor go with tekin, and unsensored i will let you know once this is running.
As for batterys the more mah you have the more amps you have, i found with my ve8 the turnigy would discharge one cell to 1v because it couldn't deliver the amps needed for racing where the venom batterys can, but for bashing the turnigys should do the job depending on how easy you are with the throttle.

hope this helps
Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Tray

Finnally got the battery tray and installed it, using the fuel tank mounts, one reversed so one hole had to be drilled out to fit a 2.5mm hex screw. To hold it at the rear i just found a small counter sunk phillips wood screw, that went threw the chassis, trimmed chassis guard and into one of the holes on battery tray.

I also split up the radio tray a bit more and mounted the receiver box to the rear chassis brace.

Brushless D8Te-imgp0294.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0296.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0298.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0300.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0301.jpg

I also painted the body, i just have to wait for the rest of the stuff to turn up.
Thanks for looking.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default More Pics

Brushless D8Te-imgp0302.jpg
D8t spur-Ve8 spur-tekno long shank pinion
Brushless D8Te-imgp0303.jpg
Ve8 center diff mounts with modified one peice motor mount
Brushless D8Te-imgp0304.jpg
Top view to show corner cut
Brushless D8Te-imgp0305.jpg
D8t top center diff plate with bits cut out
Brushless D8Te-imgp0306.jpg
Chassis Mods

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmr919 View Post
Hi
the hobby wind xerun 150a esc's are good, mine doesn't much hotter than ambient temp, as for the hobby wing motor i don't know but if you want a good sensored motor go with tekin, and unsensored i will let you know once this is running.
As for batterys the more mah you have the more amps you have, i found with my ve8 the turnigy would discharge one cell to 1v because it couldn't deliver the amps needed for racing where the venom batterys can, but for bashing the turnigys should do the job depending on how easy you are with the throttle.

hope this helps
Hobbwing xerun motor has sensored already.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just posting some pictures of my D8T-E... I've been running it all season with great results. This was a very simple install, without any modding at all

RCM Battery Tray
RCM Servo Tray
Elite Rc Motor Mount

Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Good conversion choice , I just did one myself using the rcm kit , everything was great in that kit except I highly do not recommend there motor mount , very flimsy in my opinion. I do suggest the rcm batt tray and 100% recommend the receiver box , it gives you allot more room and ease with pinion changes , some say it's a lil small but I had no problem fitting my fasst receiver into it.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottc View Post
I do not recommend a 2200 mah battery , you will get barely any runtime , these big motors and esc's use a lot of current. You'd prob get 5 to 10 min run time at most.

Here's a few pics of mine , I sold it bc most of my friends are doing on road now : http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-8-truggy.html
Old 11-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If you had gone with a D8/D8T motor mount, you wouldn't have had to drill or cut your chassis or run a different spur. You'd also have more spur choices.

I converted a D8T using mostly Vorza parts and an EliteRC motor mount. It turned out really great.

ben
Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

wow a very nice setup with Elite motor mount. Those sure are a quality piece to have your truggy. Nice job on the install.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

1:I looked at the getting a rcm motor mount but being in australia postage was $25 + $50 for the motor mount where the ve8 is $33 and i can get it from amain or tower hobbies, saying that if elite rc or rcm sold their products to the main hobby shops i would of bought one.
2: I like doing diy projects, its just the way i am, but yes i would have being able to avoid cutting the slot in the chassis if i had picked a motor that was shorter (eg any that fit the ve8) and put the motor in the same position as the ve8 but i saw that castle creations had $65 motors and bought one asap before i had anything else.

and i am still waiting for my package from tower hobbies, and its raining on and off, so until then i'm going to very bored, but when i do get it going i will post pics of the finished car, and a video on youtube.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmr919 View Post
1:I looked at the getting a rcm motor mount but being in australia postage was $25 + $50 for the motor mount where the ve8 is $33 and i can get it from amain or tower hobbies, saying that if elite rc or rcm sold their products to the main hobby shops i would of bought one.
2: I like doing diy projects, its just the way i am, but yes i would have being able to avoid cutting the slot in the chassis if i had picked a motor that was shorter (eg any that fit the ve8) and put the motor in the same position as the ve8 but i saw that castle creations had $65 motors and bought one asap before i had anything else.

and i am still waiting for my package from tower hobbies, and its raining on and off, so until then i'm going to very bored, but when i do get it going i will post pics of the finished car, and a video on youtube.

Good Luck with the truggy. Ya when you get finished post up a vid. Maybe I can help with a little setup to.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've had a broken collar bone for the past four weeks and today i got really board and pulled out the electrics from my ve8 so i could run it around.
I was using some old buggy wheels so it was under geared, but anyway i did two ten minute runs, one on the road(56 degrees C top temp, battery 15.5v 2250mah), the second was on the grass only(62 degrees C top temp, battery 15.5v 2500mah), then later on i went played with it on cement where a house was been built, and had a small track layout, alot of wheel spin from the dirt and dust, i ran it for 20 min straight(55 degrees top temp, battery 15v 3700mah), so hopefully when i get the truggy wheels and the rest on tuseday and the tracks dry out i hope to still get 20 min with low temps which would be great.

Thanks for reading
Bmr919
Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Everything finally came on wednesday, i have being running it in the backyard while its dry, i've done about 6 10 minute runs with it, with the 1800kv motor it has alot of power, but all useable. the kit servo horn striped in the 1st 30 seconds, to be expected, but i had some heavy duty ones as spares, I picked the wrong steering servo for a truggy and striped one of the gears, that i have turned 180degrees so it works until the new one i ordered turns up, (hitec hs 7955tg).
other wise a good quick car, running in the grass has been using 4000mah from the batterys and the highest temp i've had is 63degrees C.
Brushless D8Te-imgp0313.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0314.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0315.jpg

Brushless D8Te-imgp0316.jpg