R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-23-2004, 01:11 AM   #16
Tech Elite

No problem dude..that's why I'm here!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:22 AM   #17
Tech Adept

There is another reason to stick with rotary carbs in gas trucks. When you have a slide carb, the throttle linkage must run somewhat lengthwise with the chassis. Because of this, when you run across a very bumpy section that causes some chassis flex, it will also affect throttle position. This causes surging though bumpy sections. Rotary carb linkages run across the chassis, and aren't affected by chassis flex.

To add to what others said above, the OS engines are great. If you race at tracks with good traction, and/or have a smooth trigger finger, choose the CV-R. If you race on dusty, loose tracks and tend to yank the trigger, you'll be faster with the CV. The only downside to the CV, is the poor fuel economy. 5 minutes to a legal sized tank is about all I could ever manage.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Flash Gordan Send a message via Yahoo to Flash Gordan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodido
The only downside to the CV, is the poor fuel economy. 5 minutes to a legal sized tank is about all I could ever manage.
The cure for the poor fuel economy for a CV motor is to replace the cooling head with a aftermarket one. The stock head doesn't do a great job at cooling the motor so you need to richen up the mixture to keep it cooler. After you replace the head, then you can lean the motor out without it overheating and extend your fuel mileage. I picked up a O'Donnell head from ebay for cheap, and I can run between 8-10 minutes on a tank of gas depending on how much I lean the mixture out.
Flash Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

sirio evo 2, 3 port, at 160 lots of power turbo or non turbo just screams, or go for the 5 port turbo for 30 bucks more, along with a rd logics or ths rear exhaust inline system, watch out!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #20
Tech Master

HeY!!!

your best bid will prolly be one of the os. .12 or the .15
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Chassis flexing and affecting throttle position? That's not really an issue (or shouldn't be).

Flash Gordan - That's one of the biggest mistakes an inexperienced tuner will make (and the aftermarket seems to encourage the same behavior).

Simply because an aftermarket head cools your engine better than the stock one, doesn't mean you should lean the engine out for more performance. The leaner the engine, the less fuel (and oil) is getting into your engine, which will cause the engine to wear out prematurely.

If you are going to use an aftermarket head, tune the engine with the stock one, and then put the aftermarket head on there.