Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Give Novak another try or go LRP/x12 combo? >

Give Novak another try or go LRP/x12 combo?

Give Novak another try or go LRP/x12 combo?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Give Novak another try or go LRP/x12 combo?

Im a new racer only a few race weekends at the track and lots of practice days

I started with the RTR AE t4.1 which has the 3300kv Reedy/XP ESC
Ran great for the first month but wanted to move up

Bought the Novak 3s/ 10.5 ballistic to get sensored setup
Ran it one week and the Novak 3s went nuts, (on racenight) goes into rotor lock mode and coggs with load which means i will need a replacement ESC

I was just going to buy another combo to have replacements and thought about the Novak Pro combo instead but after doing research YES NOVAK you do have great CS but maybe i should look into another brand? or give them another shot? Even my LHS said they have sent in about 15 ESC in the last month... makes me concerned
I want trouble free fun, not supposed to get frustrated over a fun thing!

I do think blue is better and have been eyeing the SPX zero and SSX comp v2 maybe i can run my ballistic on those or just get a x12 10.5 to compliment them

Any input?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

why not get a real system like a tekin rs 10.5?

just askin?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

yeah everyone talks about the tekin rs/pro
and i thought about it but i just want out of box fun, no one HAS convinced me yet on these, even 25min i just spent in the Tekin thread
dont want to be stuck bringing my laptop to the track, worrying about heat and so on

i always thought it would be nice to set the gearing for your setup and just get track time

although boost and timing advance seems like you can get a lot more... and also fry up alot more
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I gave up on Novak 8 years ago, went to Speed Passion and will never look back, rock solid performance, never an issue with them to date, and I own 5 of them No need to drag the laptop to the track either, they have a nice hand help program box that comes with the ESC, and it can adjust any aspect of the speedo that you can on the comp. http://www.speedpassion.net/us/catagory.asp?c=ESC
Kevin
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Honestly the Tekin stuff is good but it takes work on a laptop to make them as good as the LRP SXX.

Do yourself a favor and go with the LRP, no laptop needed and the best power profiles right out of the box.

Novak will never be able to convince me into running their products again... Even if it was free!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dgee View Post
Honestly the Tekin stuff is good but it takes work on a laptop to make them as good as the LRP SXX.

Do yourself a favor and go with the LRP, no laptop needed and the best power profiles right out of the box.

Novak will never be able to convince me into running their products again... Even if it was free!

Would you suggest the TC or the comp spec?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The comp is designed for Mod 2wd racing, the only difference on the TC is that it has a heat sink and a fan. Other than that they're identical ESC's.

The TC Spec is designed for on road racing or 4wd off road.

I happen to own both and love how they drive! Hopefully my new TC v2 will be here tomorrow!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all your help
I just said F it and ordered something

I wanna race!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default AE Is Killer Of All......

why not haulazz and get a GTB and an 7.5 and haul the mail to the checkered flag every raceday !

Utah boys all run GTB'S !
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
yeah everyone talks about the tekin rs/pro
and i thought about it but i just want out of box fun, no one HAS convinced me yet on these, even 25min i just spent in the Tekin thread
dont want to be stuck bringing my laptop to the track, worrying about heat and so on

i always thought it would be nice to set the gearing for your setup and just get track time

although boost and timing advance seems like you can get a lot more... and also fry up alot more
You dont have to bring the laptop to the track all the time... many other people already do.,.. lol

And heat? Never once had an issue with mine... Tekin won my money because of the PHENOMENAL support... you dont see LRP sticking their neck out for anyone... Tekin is always their.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'd recommend the Tekin RS/Pro, whichever you preffer, due to its ability to provide exact tuning adjustments for each perameter within the tuning spectrum of a motors operation (all motors are not the same). You can make these adjustments with or without a computer (more so with the Tekin Hotwire/computer). The factory support definitely sets these two ESC's drastically apart (LRP-little to no support/Tekin-unsurpassed support). I found the Tekin and Orion motors to be very good, but hands down went with a Murfdogg Motor (www.murfdogg.com). Hope everyones recommendations assists you in making a decision you'll be pleased with and gets you out RC racing soon!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Company Representative

As I advised, (responding to your PM to me,) please give our CS/TS personnel an opportunity to assist you---If your items are defective, we will replace them for you. Complaining on a forum is the least effective way to get assistance for your problems.

Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
Im a new racer only a few race weekends at the track and lots of practice days

I started with the RTR AE t4.1 which has the 3300kv Reedy/XP ESC
Ran great for the first month but wanted to move up

Bought the Novak 3s/ 10.5 ballistic to get sensored setup
Ran it one week and the Novak 3s went nuts, (on racenight) goes into rotor lock mode and coggs with load which means i will need a replacement ESC

I was just going to buy another combo to have replacements and thought about the Novak Pro combo instead but after doing research YES NOVAK you do have great CS but maybe i should look into another brand? or give them another shot? Even my LHS said they have sent in about 15 ESC in the last month... makes me concerned
I want trouble free fun, not supposed to get frustrated over a fun thing!

I do think blue is better and have been eyeing the SPX zero and SSX comp v2 maybe i can run my ballistic on those or just get a x12 10.5 to compliment them

Any input?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
As I advised, (responding to your PM to me,) please give our CS/TS personnel an opportunity to assist you---If your items are defective, we will replace them for you. Complaining on a forum is the least effective way to get assistance for your problems.
quoted
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down

LRP