Wiki Posts
Search

Stripping out Losi XXX4 front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Stripping out Losi XXX4 front wheels

Hey ya'll! I have a reoccurring problem of stripping out the front wheels of a Losi XXX4. Anyone else have this problem and found a solution? I have used thread-lock to make sure the nut stays on snug, but I can't seem to get more than a half of a pack through it before the wheels strip out. Will B44 front wheels fit with or without modification? It is getting quite annoying. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bryan
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry to bump, but forgot to subscribe to thread.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I have'nt heard of that being an issue with the car, guys at our track have tons of tuning/practice/race time with their cars and I have yet to hear that. I have one race day with my car and I did'nt have that problem, only thing I broke was I blew a LCD shaft apart on the first 1/2 lap LOL! I did notice the front wheels are kinda tough to get on, but it's a sure fit so
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I remember way back when I was running a XX4 and I switched from the stock front driveshafts to CVD's (same CVD's as XXX4), that the threads on the axle were just a little too short and the nut would tighten down but the wheel would be just a little loose. This might be what is happening to your front wheels if you have MIP axles and not the Losi ones (Losi started to make their own CVD's that were a copy of the MIP ones and they fixed the axle threads). You have a couple options; 1. Add a washer between the wheel and the wheel nut. 2. Get the B44 wheel hexes. They are a little thicker, as the hexes in the B44 wheels are deeper. These hexes would take up that extra little bit and make the Losi wheels stop stripping, and it will allow you to use B44/JConcepts front wheels. Also make sure to change out your wheel nuts often! You won't be able to use the B44 wheels without the thicker hex, the rims will rub on the steering knuckle. A friend of mine ran into this same issue, and we found that the Hot Bodies D4 Losi wheel hexes (I had an extra set because I run the D4) also work as they too are thicker than the stock Losi ones. So there you go a few options.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you for your help. I went and picked up some b44 hex's and wheels and will give it a shot. I also have the slipper tightened down quite a bit, so will adjust that as Senor to take some strain off the drivetrain.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

If the issue for you was insufficient threads to tighten the wheel down, an alternative is Associated TC3 stub axles for the front. You need the "RC10GT topshaft spacer" in between the inner bearing and the stub axle and then everything lines up perfectly
Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
I have'nt heard of that being an issue with the car, guys at our track have tons of tuning/practice/race time with their cars and I have yet to hear that. I have one race day with my car and I did'nt have that problem, only thing I broke was I blew a LCD shaft apart on the first 1/2 lap LOL! I did notice the front wheels are kinda tough to get on, but it's a sure fit so
Hope tight is your slipper? I am starting to think that a main reason I am stripping them is my slipper is too tight.
Also what are You guys doing sin e they stopped making the cvd's? Mine have alot of play in them which could add strain to tattoo drive train too.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

well, tbh bro, the track owner tightened it for me, he tested it by slightly rolling car backwards then pinning throttle on race surface, you can hear a slight slip in drivetrain for about 1 foot, then it launches out. It's set tight enough mainly just to protect drivetrain components from jolts when landing jumps under acceleration.

I assume you are referring to the fronts? The Losi sponsored guy and track owner say they like the LCD's up front w/ MIP rears I believe is what they are running. They say if built correctly the front LCD's can last forever and they have a ton of time on theirs with no probs. It's all in how you prep/build them, but I cant speak from experience as 1 of mine blew in no time....I got through the day with my xx4 front shafts. I have full Losi alum. f/r cvd's and spare Losi alum cvd's on the way as well as all the f/r main alum. pivots and the Losi alum f/r inner pivots and a new g+ car and 2 parts cars and a bunch of spares, I bought a guy out of his xxx4 g+ stuff so Im pretty stoked.........all in all so far I really like the car and cant wait to get more track time with it.