Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Whats this sound and why? > Whats this sound and why?

Whats this sound and why?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Whats this sound and why?

HI all
I have just completed my electrical conversion of a cen matrix... Im happy with the results but before I shoot out and start shredding I have noticed an odd sound that Im not too sure should be there.

I think its from the motor

Its enhanced when it touches the diff

I have tried angeling the motor as I thought it might not be sitting straight.. nope no difference

Its only when its crawling and slowing once the revs come up it dissapears

I got this package: Team Novak 7.5 HV Pro 36mm Brushless Motor & ESC 3027

Any help is greatly appreciated

Now I see that I cannot post links to the videos as I haven't posted enough times
Ill see it this works replace the ** with tt or linkification if you are using firefox

h**p://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/?action=view&current=MOV00359.mp4

h**p://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/?action=view&current=MOV00358.mp4

h**p://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/?action=view&current=MOV00360.mp4

h**p://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/?action=view&current=MOV00362.mp4

h**p://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/?action=view&current=MOV00364.mp4
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is that pinion gear base touching the top motor case? It looks really close from the videos.

I'm not an expert but when the motor is cogging it almost sounds like the diff gear is bouncing in the pinion teeth. That's probably what is causing the additional noise.

I think you have it narrowed down correctly to the motor. Try taking off the pinion and spin it by hand to see how it behaves. Be careful about revving really fast it with no load because you can hurt your rotor.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can see how it behaves in one of the clips I think. the last clip

Yep theres a good 3-4 mm gap there

It doesn't run smoothly when Im spinning it slowly like its catching somewhere but when it gets a little speed it runs smoother

Im now thinking as I have a mod1 pinion, I took out the diff and rolled the pinion against the diff and it seems like it catches there, then I took the original clutch bell from the motor and that rolls smooth as silk

Can it be the mod1 pinion? Or is that just a meshing problem that a little driving will sort out