Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Whats the best way to secure track boarders (tubes) to the ground, PLZ HELP!?!? >

Whats the best way to secure track boarders (tubes) to the ground, PLZ HELP!?!?

Whats the best way to secure track boarders (tubes) to the ground, PLZ HELP!?!?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default Whats the best way to secure track boarders (tubes) to the ground, PLZ HELP!?!?

We have stakes to secure the tubes, but if the are too far down the tubes move all over, if they are too high then cars get broke, PLEASE help with any suggestions

Thanx
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

At the track that I go to, we use two types of stakes:

1: Stakes that look like large nails - are 12 inches long with a fair size head on them. You can get them at home depot or lowes. They work good, just nail them through the tubing until the head of the nail snugs against the tube. Depending on the soil you are pounding them into, you may need longer. They do work loose after repetitive hits though, but they work.

2: We have some homemade stakes made from 1/4 inch rebar cut into 14 inch lengths - one end is grinded to a point and the other end has a large steel washer welded to the top of the rebar. These work good if the weld is done right. They are cheap to make if you have the tools and materials laying around too.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

12 inch rebar with a bend on it to shape a "L" then use heavy duty industrial zip ties. Pound the rebar down with the zip tie at the "L" part then drive it down all the way. Put the tubing over it and tie the zip tie. This will save on parts and the rebar will not wiggle loose. I use 3 inch drainage tubing as it's smallest enough for a sc truck to make it over. If you don't understand I can draw it out for you. I use to use spikes )12 inch nails) but then came loose all the time and if you land on one you will break parts.

Terry
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Divey View Post
12 inch rebar with a bend on it to shape a "L" then use heavy duty industrial zip ties. Pound the rebar down with the zip tie at the "L" part then drive it down all the way. Put the tubing over it and tie the zip tie. This will save on parts and the rebar will not wiggle loose. I use 3 inch drainage tubing as it's smallest enough for a sc truck to make it over. If you don't understand I can draw it out for you. I use to use spikes )12 inch nails) but then came loose all the time and if you land on one you will break parts.

Terry
I like this idea a lot. I'm sure it's in large part due to the fact that I busted up my Slash last Friday, on a protruding spike. haha
Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Divey View Post

Terry
That seems like a lot of work. I just use 8", 10", and 12" nails. 8" for the flat sections, and 12" for the jumps where it is softer. We use 3" white PVC pipe as it is a lot harder, holds together better and the white looks better. The problem we are having with the spikes is even the 8" nails bend when you hammer them in and then there is no way to get them out, besides a skip-loader. But we never have a problem with the pipe coming up.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

All great ideas guys, I like the "L" shaped rebar the best so far. I ripped off the frt end of my brand new Ofna Jammin SCRT on a protruding spike, broke seven parts, bent the aluminum lower arm holder, and it took a nice gouge out of my chassis, it doesnt look bent but you guys can feel my pain after spending over 1200.oo on this SCRT build, it has every STRC option made, lol, oh well, KEEP THEM IDEAS COMING!!!!

thanx to all for posting

Apple
Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Any other ideas?