PHILADELPHIA TRACK COMING SOON!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHILADELPHIA TRACK COMING SOON!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default PHILADELPHIA TRACK COMING SOON!!!!

Hello my name is mike and me and my uncle were thinking of opening a water ice/ custard/ ice cream stand in bensalem or philly and were going to put in a miniature golf ... That is until i had the idea to do a rc track but im afraid me and him have come to a cross road. We are disagreing on just about every aspect. What is the biggest money/ profit and most costumers. he wants to rent out electric little cars on a black top track and only that. I want to do dirt rent out nitro and electric and have open track days and things like that. I just need toknow all of your thoughts, concerns and ideas/ opinions. I am kinda new to this hobby i am a 19 year old hobbist and probably going to be the youngest track manager lol. What im really concerned about is what yous want and how nmany of you will actually come and or come faithfully let everyone you know,know and have them sign up on here and comment and maybe have some friends come rent some out. this wont happen until maybe late summer of next year depending on funding and support from hoobyists if theres no meney in it for us theres no point in making it. other wise we are throwing money in and noone shows up.

Thank you for your time your thoughts and your consideration all advice is apprieciated and considered

Sincerely
Michael Rup future track manager
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well, you will have your work cut out for you. some things to consider before you even think on opening:

Is there a market, as in how many tracks in the area?
How many people have rc cars?
What is the economy like in your city, do people have jobs good enough to support this expensive hobby?

If you have the people to support, then it may work. Most tracks dont make it unless they are well run. I would also consider having a store with the track that will sell parts and maybe kits.

You have to consider what you are going to provide also, if its just a track and some rentals, it may be a fad....people show up for a year, then stop going...i have seen that happen.

If you are serious, then you will need to have electricity, washrooms, lighting, if running nitro indoors, proper ventilation, lockers, maybe snack stand (which you would have).

Most importantly, you will need to change the track once in awhile, to change it up and make it different. That will entice people to keep coming back and not get bored.

This is not going to be an easy undertaking but do your research. If you are serious, I would head to a large popular track, pay the money to travel there and talk with a manager and get some hints and tips. Learn the ropes before you get in over your head! IF you do it right, you could have a killer job with awesome perks!

On the side, this probably isnt the forum, and some people may point that out....you should repost in the track locator thread......
Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

LOL thanks i couldnt find the track locater thing i havent been on this forum in many many months i forgot how it works.... lets put it like this there are a few shops in the area selling cars and they do sell a lot and i think the closest nice track is either deleware or maryland not to sure but i dont think there are any in this area hence i want to make one. I also knew i was going to change the track every maybe 4-6 months. Also i was doing some research but before i even think about researching i want to make sure the clientell is there hence i came to the forum ifr theres no clients theres no money theres no point in research. i havent even seen the lot hes leasing yet so i dont know size or anything this is still in the planning out process so again no clients no point if theres noone to race were going to just go ahead and do mini golf but being a hobbist myself i want this.... also we were already planning out the parts and cars shop addition if were renting out we need parts if people brake them so we will have alot of mainly breakable parts and things along the line... thank you for your concerns. I am wondering if you have any more advice for me im really looking to hte hobbyists for most of my debugging of sorts making sure i dont miss some things i will have to research.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

some ideas for interest, ya may want to post some flyers at the local hobby shops, put down your intent and an email address for people to email you if they are interested. Work a deal with the local hobby shops saying that you will allow them to put flyers for their stores at your facility-you scratch their back, they scratch yours....that way if you do open, you can refer drivers to those stores for parts and supplies in the event you dont open a lil parts shop for your customers.

You will need a good drivers stand, large enough to hold 12 people or more.

You will also need a good timing system, one that allows customers to either rent a house transponder (makes you money) and allows those clients with personal transponders to use them also. Most timing systems require a laptop or some computer to run the software. A timing system would be a must, especially if you can give people their stats during practice, and more importantly during RACES....these systems cost some serious money though if bought new.

Also, if you are going to use dirt, make sure the facility can allow access for a bobcat front end loader. Consider clay as the dirt, and you will need a watering system if you do use dirt.

Carpet is another alternative and those types of "off-road" tracks are popular in europe. This could be a good option for you, cuz if you are renting vehicles, they will stay clean and will be easier to maintain.

Build your jumps out of wood and carpet also, and make them so they can be moved around easily. If you choose the carpet option, you will have to do some research as to what is the most durable materials.

Also, if you build up your client base, listen to them and their ideas for track layouts and improvements. If the customers feel they have input and are a part of your track, they will return and more often with their friends.

I wish you luck with your business, hopefully it works out, I may just have to run a few laps at your track when its all set up!

Someday, when I win the lottery, I would love to open a track and hobby shop.....
Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Tech Initiate

yea im hoping on the lottery too lol but i found out there are a few tracks in my area and also noone on this forum will agree in wat i should do track owning vets say maybe not but racers say hell yea im a little hessatant but i want to so bad im getting a highly upgraded revo hopefully and i want to run it own my own newly built track
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Racing is about competition.. you can get your feet off the ground with 20-30 guys showing up weekly and a big race or two.

#1 you need a AMBrc timer, and racing is key
#2 you need to have two leagues going.. say every Thursday night (after payday) and a 'Sunday Series" racing 2 sundays per month.
#3 have pay outs for winners of these series at the end of the 'season' something in it for the top guys and for the guys who come WEEKLY (attendance awards, most improved awards) typically gift cards feeding back into your own shop!!
#4 try to do a few big events with some big pay outs, start out with lower $$ entry fee's at first and build on it.. (10 first car, 5 per extra on Thursday; 15 first car 5 per extra on sunday ($5 discount on sunday if they race on thursday) ** big events start out 20~25 first entry, 10 per extra and have CASH payouts to drivers, 1 day events are best for the biggest turn out.

Try to keep some open race times so guys can get some practice, super cheap or even FREE. Most guys get frustrated if they are always in last place and don't want to spend a ton of money.. Have someone who can help new people tune cars and give recommends to positive feedback to help (huge item iMO).

That is a few things.. good luck.

"If you build it, they will come"

Have a plan to make extra money...

#1 parts! You need to sell spare parts and for the right vehicles. What brand is most popular in your area, can you afford the buy in? If not maybe pickup a line and almost give away the trucks to get people started and racing. You will sell parts for repairs and make up all that money back. Make sure to have full line of the best tires (keep an eye on the rctech to see what people are excited about). Don't forget about wheels for what most guys have. Also tuning options: shock oil and diff oils, know your track, and what setups work best and have spares of the key items based on input from your top (fastest) drivers.

#2 food and beverage! Don't let this be overlooked.. snacks, food and beverages on race days can make you a lot of extra $$ keep it reasonable though or everyone will brown bag it.