R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default HELP!! HPI MT2 or CEN ST2 which one is best?

I am looking into both. R/C Car Action has a test on the HPI this month. They said the HPI MT 2 is geared for speed and not acceleration and they had a radar speed of 32 MPH. The Cen ST 2 comes RTR with a 45 MPH claim that seems to be real from what I read. The CEN has a .16 (2.6cc) motor. The HPI has a .15 (??cc) motor. The control arms on the Cen look a lot beefier. The HPI has a better radio and is what appears to be a Airtronics.
I am coming from my first year with a ASS T4 with a Novak ss 5800 brushless. and have a Airtronics MX-3 transmitter. Will my MX-3 work with the receiver that comes in the HPI?( got a reply from another site AM vs FM, no need to answer this ?) Any help with long winded posts are very welcome. I am totally " GREEN" in the nitro area and need all the opinions I can get. I am a serious basher and don't plan to race. I like very fast acceleration and can see myself converting to a larger motor in the future. I have seen that there is a .21 conversion for the HPI.
The Cen ST2 is 4wd. Here are a couple of links. www.cenracing.com/cars/ff/ff4wd.html and www.cenracing.com/cars/ff/9226.html opinions on some of you who have seen this truck for the first time.

Last edited by Tom P; 07-12-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

Personally I would go with the HPI. For a few reasons. 1 I have only heard about CEN, but I know HPI makes a duriable product (own a HPI NMT). 2 Parts will probably be easier to find for the HPI. 3 I know there is a big aftermarket for HPI stuff

On the other hand, depending on your budget I might suggest either a buggy. (Unless you are looking specifically for a stadium truck)

Let us know more about what you are looking for. I LOVE my NMT (origional RS4 version).

As for the transmitter and reciever, if the MX3 is a FM unit it will not work with the stock HPI reciever because it is for AM (27mhz). It would be in your best interest, if you chose the MT2, to sell the radio(every piece of radio stuff) and engine on ebay and buy a reciever that is compatable with your transmitter, Rx pack, new stronger servos (the ones that come with it will only last you 2 gallons tops) and then a better engine.

Remember, spending more upfront means you will spend less in the long run.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I have been told that the front end on the MT 2 is very easy to break.
joe-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I have heard the same thing about the MT2 .

I would say if this is your first nitro, you may be better of going with a 2wd nitro stadium truck such as an RC10GT or a Losi XXX-NT . the RC10GT from what I have seen is a tank and can take a beating while still performing. You also can buy alot of options for it from RPM to make it super tough.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

I have 2wd now. I want 4wd. I am into fast acceleration and have been told there is no way a nitro will compete with a brushless for low end torque and off the line acceleration I am batting back and forth converting a MT 2 to a brushless. Novak is working on a even more powerful brushless then their SS 5800. I figure those nitro parts I pull off the MT 2 if I can keep myself from not running it will get a premium on ebay. Any ideas what that nitro motor, tank, and that water proof electronics box would be worth if it was never ran??
Old 07-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

i have a hpi nitro mt, and i love it...

i have an epic .18 in it, and wouldnt trade it for anything.

i have aluminum a arms front and rear, along with screw on tie-rods, etc....makes for a very crash-worthy vehicle...

gota get the shiny cvd's as im sick of breaking the the diffs...

and since the make the 2 speed for it too, streetablility is lotsa fun...
caino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by caino
i have a hpi nitro mt, and i love it...

i have an epic .18 in it, and wouldnt trade it for anything.

i have aluminum a arms front and rear, along with screw on tie-rods, etc....makes for a very crash-worthy vehicle...

gota get the shiny cvd's as im sick of breaking the the diffs...

and since the make the 2 speed for it too, streetablility is lotsa fun...
how much did you pay for the .18?? my .15FE is pretty much shot

skip the CVDs (changes the way power hits the ground too), it wont stop you from ripping appart the diffs. You need to get the updated gears from the RS4 3 and then fill the diffs with some thick diff fluid in there.

and a big HECK YEAH for the 2 spd.

IM me if you want to talk about NMT's
Old 07-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

I bought the HPI MT 2 today I am just putting it together right now. What do you mean you keep breaking the diffs? Diff gears? The dog bones? What parts should I stock for fixing breakage out in the field? Diffs??? $$$$ Is that because of the added power of the .18? Can you describe to me how the power characteristics of the .18 are different then the stock .15. If you had to give a % figure to describe the increase in power of the .18 over the .15 what would you guess it would be?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom P
I bought the HPI MT 2 today I am just putting it together right now. What do you mean you keep breaking the diffs? Diff gears? The dog bones? What parts should I stock for fixing breakage out in the field? Diffs??? $$$$ Is that because of the added power of the .18? Can you describe to me how the power characteristics of the .18 are different then the stock .15. If you had to give a % figure to describe the increase in power of the .18 over the .15 what would you guess it would be?
The stock diff gears in the RS4 NMT are really eary to rip appart. NMT refers to the origional version. MT2 is the new version, which you own. If I remember correctly HPI has stronger gears in the MT2.

There is a very high chance that his diff's are taring appart due to the extra power of the .18 HPI motors are not known for their power (pretty weak) but they are very reliable.

To give you an idea on power ratings.
the .15FE makes somewhere around .5hp
the T-15 makes 1.2hp
the epic .18 makes 1.8 hp

with the NMT, by tripling the power you are gaurenteed to break a few things.

For you, I would make a choice now, either run the T-15 and get used to the truck OR sell the T-15 on ebay (or similar) and then use that money to get a new engine., (or just give it to me )

I hope that helps a little
Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

I was thinking that too. What would an unused .15 be worth unused compared to it being used say 20 tankfulls? I was even thinking of converting it to electric when Novak comes out with their so called 7 turn brushless. Is there a difference between a Epic .18 and a HPI .18? They look alike. Same manufacture? ( Private labeling ) How much do you notice going from 1.2 HP to 1.8?

Last edited by Tom P; 07-15-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:03 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

epic .18 is not a real .18, it do not have 1.8 hp but it is enough for bashing.
I have a Nitro MT 1.5 version which i love it when it equip with epic 18
i did not really broke that much
hpi part can be found anywhere in US, that is important to me
so I vote MT2 from HPI
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

but if you just want something fast on dirt, 1/8 buggy is your chioce.
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

No, not a buggy guy or monster truck guy.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:52 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by corvettecrazy
how much did you pay for the .18?? my .15FE is pretty much shot

skip the CVDs (changes the way power hits the ground too), it wont stop you from ripping appart the diffs. You need to get the updated gears from the RS4 3 and then fill the diffs with some thick diff fluid in there.

and a big HECK YEAH for the 2 spd.

IM me if you want to talk about NMT's
well, i picked up an rs4 type ss that someone had dropped the epic .18 into...so i swapped them....i had an os .15 cv-r in the nmt that went into the type ss

i mispoke when i said the dif, i meant the outer axles (where the wheel bolts onto) That's why I'm considering the shiny cvd's, i have them in my type ss.

so what your saying is that if i have an extra set of diff's for the rs4 3 ss, that i should fill them with some heavy weight fluid and swap them in?

I'll have to get some pictures up....
caino is offline   Reply With Quote