Good cordless screwdriver >

Good cordless screwdriver

Like Tree11Likes

Good cordless screwdriver

Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Good cordless screwdriver

I'm looking for a good, decently priced cordless screwdriver that i can put EDS Power Tips in.

I love my EDS wrenches, but takes a toll on the your hands after too much wrenching.

Looking to spend maybe $50
Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For RC: Hitachi, hands-down. Even looks really cool. You'll see these all over the pits wherever you go.
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL-...8336163&sr=8-4
Old 10-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
For RC: Hitachi, hands-down. Even looks really cool. You'll see these all over the pits wherever you go.
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL-...8336163&sr=8-4
+1 that's the one to get. I won't work on another car/truck without it

Steve
Old 10-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

That is an awesome looking screwdriver, what does it offer over Craftsman ??

I'm not opposed to spending more $$, I just like to know it's well spent ya know. I'm an amateur part time racer and my budget isn't huge, since I still have to get tips and such too.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doxiedad View Post

I'm not opposed to spending more $$, I just like to know it's well spent ya know. I'm an amateur part time racer and my budget isn't huge, since I still have to get tips and such too.

Thanks
I've been using the less expensive 7.2V Ni-Cd and love it..If i have to wrench on my car longer than the charge on the batt ..then I really should just call it a day anyway..

Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This one has been great for me. I like the quick change and the light. It is only 4 volts but has clutch and the price is right. I always save the last bit of tightening for a hand driver

http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/...atalogId=10053
Teknewbee likes this.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hitachi Hitachi Hitachi

Need it be said again

HITACHI
Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sears evolv by craftsman $15.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

This is not one of the budget-conscious choices that you asked for, but I have many years of experience with this, and it's the best I've ever tried out of a wide range of electric screwdrivers. This is a good example of the ever-present maxim that you get what you pay for.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...3aScrewdrivers

Apart from the overall quality of the screwdriver (I have two, one of which is 15 years old and still running as strong as the day I bought it), it comes with a good quality battery charger that seems to get good life out of the batteries, it includes a chuck for use with all types of drill bits and accessories, the tool tips are incredibly strong and well suited to the range of fastener sizes that are common in RC, and it's very easy to use. The best feature of all, however, is the clutch. It's set for a range that is suited to virtually all types of fasteners used in a typical RC car, and I have such confidence in the setting that I'll use it on any screw from 2mm and up. It's rare that I strip even a small screw with this screwdriver - I've probably done more damage with a hand screwdriver. I know of no other electric screwdriver that has a clutch that is light enough to use on almost every screw you'll encounter in an RC car, and one that's consistent enough that you don't have to worry about completely tightening the screw with this power screwdriver. The clutch settings range from 3.5 to 26 in./lbs., which is as light as they come. The smaller screws tend to need the lowest settings, so if you're considering another brand, it will be hard to find one that's able to handle these light settings.

The better of the two models has two-speeds as well. The high speed is is fast as you want to install a screw without causing too much heat, and the low range gives it the extra grunt to easily install a 4 or 5mm screw in a fresh plastic hole without stalling.

Last but not least is the fact that you can use it as a manual screwdriver. When power is fed back through the gears (using it as a hand tool), the bit will lock and prevent the motor from spinning backwards. So, you can really lean on it as a hand tool and it holds up.

This particular one that I linked to is the highest priced as a result of the two batteries and the accessories that come with it, and it can be found for somewhere in the $90 range. A no-frills version of the two-speed screwdriver with battery and charger is about $75.

The Hitachi version mentioned here is also a good tool, but the RPM at high speed is a little too fast for me, and the lightest clutch setting appears to be a little too strong. The low-speed setting is the same as the Milwaukee, so that's good.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I've been using a $35 Craftsman that has worked very well. You don't have to spend a lot to get quality. Picked it up at the local Sears.

ben
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

If you are really budget minded try this one. It works well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/48-volt...kit-95065.html
Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The hitachi is it!

The lowest clutch setting is way low enough for all but the smallest screws. I normally screw in at level 5 for most 4-40 screws.

It is comfortable, powerful. Batteries last a long time. (you get two batteries and they are lithium (ion or po not sure) but they hold a charge for a long time. I use one until it is dead (more then a few days of wrenching) plug in the other and charge the dead one when I get back home. Charges in a about an hour.

The quick release 1/4 chuck is great for all of these speed tips out today. High speed is great for taking out screws. I usually use low for going in. Don't know why I spent the last 16 years without one! I enjoy working on my stuff again. Would even imagine working on an 8th scale without one again!

It is a little more expensive then some of the other options out there but it is hands down the best.

Oh and power. I used it to install some mini blinds in my house (non RC use) it was great as it got in a smaller space then my full size cordless drill. It had no problem running a 2 inch screw into wood. Not bad for a 3.7V small drill/driver. I was amazed it would do that as a 2 inch screw into wood takes some torque!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doxiedad View Post

Thanks
Quality. The batteries will last you longer, the clutch is great, and it has a great feel. This is something you'll be able to use for years. Pay for quality.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive been through 3 Hitachi's...inside gears strip out

the new Makita gets my vote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by scwrod View Post
This one has been great for me. I like the quick change and the light. It is only 4 volts but has clutch and the price is right. I always save the last bit of tightening for a hand driver

http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/...atalogId=10053
+1, I have the new tek 4 version of this with the changeable 4v lithium ion battery $29.99 in store ($39.99 online) 2 year warranty, light and torque clutch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.