Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RX8: Has yours been reliable? >

Tekin RX8: Has yours been reliable?

Tekin RX8: Has yours been reliable?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have two RX8's running 1900 and 2050 motors. Only problem in 1.5 years is one of the rotor went bad and Tekin replaced no questions asked.

I'm still using my original fans without any problems. The trick is to use a piece of lexan with a hole slightly smaller than the fan diameter. Slide it in between the fan and heatsink.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I sure hope so just bought one. My friend runs his forever and never goes above 4 lights.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

I bought my first RX8 in november last year (4 hole case) and had the internal bec fail in June. It was fixed for free by tekin even though it was out of warranty. It worked fine till a few weeks ago when it would loose power after a hard landing.

SO I have bought a new one to use whilst the original one gets upgraded. I really like tekin gear and the support has been excellent.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

If my stuff fried twice i wouldnt support anymore. My lrp fried once and i quit with them. Terrible service.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

3 hole case with a 1900 and it's good to go...no problems..

RS with a 8.5 Redline and it's good to go ...no problems..

Im very happy with both products and the support is awsome...A few Tekin guys are always on here to answer your questions..
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I must be stupid, I cant find these holes, can someone show me on a picture?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
I must be stupid, I cant find these holes, can someone show me on a picture?
they are clearly visible on the bottom of your rx8 case, there will either be 3 or 4 little holes.........
Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My story's too long to get into, But i will say ive had 6+ failure's over the past year+ BUT Tekin has done me right every single time.....Im a Tekinite for LIFE.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

First off I have to say that I am totally impressed with the customer service from the Tekin staff. They work hard and are very customer oriented. One criticisim I do have is that at times it can take awhile to get an RMA number for a return ( up to the stated 3 day response period ). They are busy I realize, phones are busy, tons of emails - I am patient, but sometimes three days is a long wait to get an RMA number, especially when its a 3 day trip to mail the item to Idaho.

I bought my first RX8 (three hole version, running latest firmware) in august and three weeks later the motor and ESC shorted out and stopped working. I only ran my buggy on a track and never abused my buggy. I would take the jumps and had a few hard hits, but never threw the buggy 100 ft off a jump or did any insane stupid stunting. I race when I can but mostly practice on a track, no bashing. The return process was painless and I had a totally new system within 9 days.

The replacement system that Tekin sent me was DOA out of the box. Actually it was the motor, it was cogging at slow speeds. I sent the system back and it turned out the motor was defective and it was replaced one a week later.

I have to say the RX8 system is definately NOT bulletproof. When it runs, it runs awesome. It is very smooth, and runs relatively cool. I usually run my buggy at the local track about 5 hours a week. I try to run it every day, weather/time permitting.

I am looking forward to the next generation of ESC's from TEKIN for 8th scale in the future. They have a product that will be awesome once the reliability gets better. For now, its a crap shoot when you buy an 8th scale brushless system, and it doesnt matter what brand you are buying. This is a relatively new technology. The companies making them are riding a learning curve and unfortunately the customers are the guinea pigs. I don't mean that comment in a negative light, as I am willing to be a guinea pig as I buy these products. The products will get better and that excites me.

It is the excellent customer service and the fact that the staff from Tekin actively monitor RCTECH forums and answer questions and provide support is what sold me on their products. Sure, there will be ESC's/motors that fail, but Tekin stands behind their product and ensures the customer is happy. I do wish their warranty was a little longer, but the cost to fix an out of warranty system is still way cheaper than replacing it with a new one.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Just get bone already it will b worth it.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

3 rx8
2 rs pros
1 17.5
1 1500 truggy motor
1 1700 buggy motor
1 1900 buggy motor

Not a single problem. I keep one rx8 as a spare cause things happen but nothing has given yet. Highly recomend Tekin especily the 212 software
Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (99%+)

i have 2 rx8's and a 1900tekin motor

both have ran flawlessy for the last 2 months.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have 11 of them now , never a problem.

Been running them in everything 1/8 SC8E, Revo, 4x4 SC, Latemodel,Bomber,2wdSC.

No problems at all.

The drag brake , and current limiter are very nice options when tuning to track conditions.

As for which motors I run with them , the answer is 'all of them'.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by tq_danpatterson View Post
I am trying to get some legitimate data on the success/failure rates of this ESC. I have heard too many different things, from sources that I cannot put names to, to reach a definite conclusion. I am not one to believe rumors, hear-say, or dated information. Therefore, I want to ask any and all users of the ESC to report their experience(s) with it.

So, if you have used a Tekin RX8, please post the following information:
-Which version it is, including which motor
-When you got it/how long you've been using it
-The setup in which you used it (include car, voltage, gearing, and intensity of running; IE, bashing or hard racing)
-Any problems you have had with it
-Your experience with Tekin's repair service if you had to send it in

I am not at all bashing the RX8, Tekin, or anyone who may be directly or indirectly involved. It is not my intention to lead any potential RX8 buyers away from it due to whatever may be posted in this thread. The only purpose of this thread is to gather unbiased, statistical information.
I have went through 4, 4 hole case models in less than a year. 1900 T8 motor.

3 of them dumped in my 8E 2.0 and one in my 8TE 2.0.

Various gearing changes but mostly 13/45 or 15/45. 4S only. All my vehicles
are race only on indoor and outdoor tracks of various surfaces.

I currently have a 3 hole case in my buggy and so far, it has been good. It's got about a months time on it so far.

Tekin's repair service has been far and above ALL of my expectations and their undying support here, technical or otherwise, is exceptional. I will not
run any other esc, period. LRP's 10th scale stuff isn't terrible but even then,
the RS and RS Pro's, outshine them.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs down

my rx8 lasted about 7 weeks. It was the 4 hole. I live up in Canada but am about 3hrs away from the Idaho border. I arranged to have it shipped back to an Idaho shipping address so I could just pick it up and save the 2 week delay through customs. I was told 4 times it would be no problem. I took the day off work cancelled my other weekend plans and made the trip because we don't have much season left and I don't have a spare. Now I am here with my truck, all spare parts, laptop and find out that they shipped it to the Canadian address instead of the Idaho address. 2 thumbs down for a product that does not last 2 months, 2 thumbs down for customer service in regards to the shipping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.