Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Sidewinder SCT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

All good info', cheers Guys.
I also notice that the esc gets hotter quicker than others that I have. It also cools down very quickly at a rate of about 2-3F every 3 seconds or so.
Guess the heat transfer from the heatsink to the mosfets is well designed compared to other esc's.
Anyway, so far so good.
I'll get a fan on it and try to gear upto 29/78 with a fdr of 7.0:1.
No matter how high you gear this thing it never seems to affect the torque.
Anyone done any tests with a very low fdr btw?
I'd be interested to see what the results were.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

One other thing;
Anyone sussed out how to get rid of the 2.5 second reverse delay, or are am I stuck with it?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by damselfly
All good info', cheers Guys.
I also notice that the esc gets hotter quicker than others that I have. It also cools down very quickly at a rate of about 2-3F every 3 seconds or so.
Guess the heat transfer from the heatsink to the mosfets is well designed compared to other esc's.
Anyway, so far so good.
I'll get a fan on it and try to gear upto 29/78 with a fdr of 7.0:1.
No matter how high you gear this thing it never seems to affect the torque.
Anyone done any tests with a very low fdr btw?
I'd be interested to see what the results were.
Anyone?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, i've just geared up again to 29/78 in my Firestorm and this motor is still very torquey and the truck absolutely flies.
It really is the perfect setup imo.
Checked the motor this evening and the max temp was 106F, and the esc was 87F using a good quality fan. It was about 11pm yesterday when I did this and the outside temperature was about 10C.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

If I had the choice of installing a CC Sidewinder or a Novak Havok 4.5. Which would you choose? The RC I'm considering to run one of these systems in is the Jammin SCRT10.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quick, possibly noob, question but I'm new to Castle products. Is there any reason I can not shorten the wires from the ESC to the motor ? It's not in front of me, but I don't recall seeing being able to solder to the motor or ESC. Just thinking of cutting the wires and resoldering to the correct length for my install. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inconceivable
Quick, possibly noob, question but I'm new to Castle products. Is there any reason I can not shorten the wires from the ESC to the motor ? It's not in front of me, but I don't recall seeing being able to solder to the motor or ESC. Just thinking of cutting the wires and resoldering to the correct length for my install. Thanks.
cutting and joining them in the middle is the easiest way. Ive tried to remome them from the board and had no luck getting the solder to melt except on the old sidewinder. If your decent at soldering you can splice them together them in the middle fairly easily.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ABBOTT
cutting and joining them in the middle is the easiest way. Ive tried to remome them from the board and had no luck getting the solder to melt except on the old sidewinder. If your decent at soldering you can splice them together them in the middle fairly easily.
Splicing in the middle was what I was thinking, thanks. Now I'm curious why they make a comment in the instructions regarding "not" cutting the motor wires (except for the CM36 and Monster motors) ?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I actually cut the wires off my board and soldered on some 4mm bullets. I swap between a brushed motor and a brushless motor for different classes with my Ultima SC and it makes the wiring to the motor much simpler. Also keeps from having a dangling useless third wire hanging while using the brushed motor.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Above seams like the way to go. nice job
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Very cool idea, thanks !
Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Man, this combo' is sick, it really is. It was fast on my old lipo but it's now unreal.
Just bought myself a new Lipo as my other was getting a bit tired and it's really woken this thing up.
My E Firestorm wheelies at anything upto around 30mph and hits a top speed in the mid to upper 40s geared 29/78.
When I wheelied at around 35 mph the thing flipped back past the wheelie bar and slid around 30ft down the road on its lid backwards.
No matter how high you gear the motor it just doesn't seem to reduce torque.
Motor max temp was 124.5F and esc hit 93F with an outside temperature of about 11C.
It pees all over my Velineon and vxl rig.
I'm gonna buy another no doubt. :-D
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

i was really happy with this combo until my esc started to cut out. it was workin fine and was kickin some arse then out of the blue it start cuttin out. i thought it was because lipo cutoff. when i brought it in i checked to see if it was hot and it was warm to touch but by no means overheated. when i push down on the heat sink it would turn on and when i let go it would turn off. has anyone had this issue?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I wish I had read this whole thing through BEFORE I bought the setup. Its nice and has plenty of power but the ESC gets stupid hot in my SC1044 within the first 2 min of driving.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Works great in the 2wd but it does heat up quickly in the 4wd trucks. Try using the motor fan placed over the esc, people seam to have luck with that. The motor doesnt need it and it probably doesnt fit on that truck anyway from what I remember when a looked at a friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.