Search

New buyer in town

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New buyer in town

Hello!

I have recently gotten back into the RC fun since my kids are finally old enough to enjoy the sport without driving the trucks into a car or a wall. They are getting new trucks for Christmas, prolly an AT RC10T4.1 or Traxxas Rustler and I will be moving up from my 5 yr old Stampede.

Here is what I was am for:
- Brushless
- Durable (I'm no pro)
- Under $300 (so kits were basically out)
- Lipo compatible, if I go that route later
- 2.4 ghz

So, I have narrowed it down to these few:
- Associated Team RC10T4.1
- HPI E-Firestorm 10T Flux
- Traxxas Rustler VXL
- Associated Team SC10 Pro

Granted, the AT SC10 is a short course truck, but brushless and 2.4 Ghz - it looks tough. I would wait for the Traxxis Slash VXL, but it's announced price right now is about $350.

The HPI seems the fastest at 5700kv for stock engine.

What has the best durability while preserving a high fun factor? I don't plan to race, per say, but may enter races here and there.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

if your looking for fun get the traxxas. durable and parts are cheap if you do break.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I wanted to race, would it be easier to learn on a short course truck or the open wheel (not sure of class) designs like the Rustler? 2WD of course.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

rc10b4.1 rtr would be a good one. The buggy classes seems to be comming back. Cant go wrong with associated.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What kind of racing is happening at the local track ?

Might want to check that out to prevent disappointment when you buy something there's no class for at the local track.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would suggest a short course tuck. They are very popular right now so hobby shops are carrying parts for most of them. The associated SC10 is a good choice because of parts availability and if you decide to do more racing in the future its very competitive. The brushless rtr is a great choice and much more reliable than the brushed version so in the long run you will save money over the brushed. Also I think because they are protected by body, bumpers and nerf bars they will be more durable than the open wheel T4 when it comes to the youngsters.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Yes def check with the track first. When i got back into it lickily my 2wd truck was still a popular class. 2wd buggy died out and was replaced by 4wd, so make sure you look. One thing i will say is that sc will most likely be a popular class.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would agree that the SC trucks are super popular, and there is a class at nearly every track for them.. the Slash with velineon would be a real nice choice if they could handle the power..
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

around here SC is the way to go. everywhere runs them and the parts are readily available. That said the Slash is super durable and my 5yr drives his into everthing with very little breakage, and the plus is they have parts at every shop around. AE would be a better racer in my opinion Plus the pricing in pretty good for brushless and 2.4, but around here only 1 out of 5 shops carries parts. However with everything being convient to order online nowadays that really doesn't mean a whole lot. most of what i buy is online anyhow unless I break something and want to run right away so I just call around to find out who has the part in stock. Plus the
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A4life
If I wanted to race, would it be easier to learn on a short course truck or the open wheel (not sure of class) designs like the Rustler? 2WD of course.
SC trucks are a great starter for a beginner. They are more durable than stadium trucks or 2wd buggies. Nobody really races with a Rustler. A Slash 2wd or Blitz RTR are good choices for a beginner. The SC10 takes a sharper learning curve, IMHO. Great racer, but very unforgiving unless you really know what you are doing. Losi is also releasing a 2wd SCT in December. There's a lot of choices to think about.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by blade329
SC trucks are a great starter for a beginner. They are more durable than stadium trucks or 2wd buggies. Nobody really races with a Rustler. A Slash 2wd or Blitz RTR are good choices for a beginner. The SC10 takes a sharper learning curve, IMHO. Great racer, but very unforgiving unless you really know what you are doing. Losi is also releasing a 2wd SCT in December. There's a lot of choices to think about.
thanks much! Still haven't made up my mind and was leaning towards stadium trucks over SC. May have to look back at SC, probably a Slash since so many are for sale in the classifieds here.